Thread: Over Heating and Low Boost

Rides

Over Heating and Low Boost

Hi everyone,

My stage 1a S14a is having some issues.

The first issue started about 4 days ago, this was it idling high (about 1500rpm). I assumed it was just a boost leak (and it still might be) but this was hard to tell because at the moment I'm only running the boost controller off the solenoid spring as I haven't set it up properly yet. This makes it hard to see if it’s achieving the correct boost.

Anyway, then last night it over heated like mad all of a sudden. I stopped the car at the side of the road, and as it was seriously hot I let it idle abit, but again it was idling high around 2000rpm this time, so shut it off. At this point it was firing coolant out of the breather (I think was just because it was really hot). I let it cool down then checked the oil and it had lost a load of oil but I had seen no smoke from it and there was no knocking noises (apart from a rattley VVT sprocket, which rattles like mad at all times when at low idle as the engine is hot)

Then this morning, I check all the fluids again and it was all fine so drove it to work. On the way it was still idling high but only about 1200rpm and didn't get too hot. However the drive to work is only about 3miles but in this time it did reach normal temperatures as it usually does.

Does anyone have any ideas of what to check or what it could be? Because it has confused me.

Cheers, Jack

Rides
    Please Help... Any insist will be of use!!!

Rides
    Right... I had a look at it lastnight... Its seems there was just an air lock in the coolant and because of that the engine was idling high due to the heat. Basically I just drained all the coolant then re-filled and bleed it and the issues seem to disappear (well at the moment anyway). I'm not sure why the coolant system got an air lock but I think it was because the Scavenge tank may have run emply (not sure why). I have also pressure tested the coolant before and there has been no leaks so where is my coolant going?

Rides
    Get a compression test done

Rides
    I had the same symptoms when my turbo coolant lines broke.

You said you're system wasn't losing water/coolant though so this shouldnt be the issue.
    Worth bearing in mind though.

Rides
    What is the best way of checking the turbo coolant lines or is it easier just to replace them?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3k1355 View Post
    Get a compression test done
    This +1. Could be a fooked headgasket if your coolant is mysteriously disappearing. Any misfiring at all?

Rides
    No misfire, but just found out its a little smokey when I thrash it a bit... confusing!!!