Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sr20 vs Ls1

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -ghost- View Post
    We should try it surely there must be a decently mapped around 400hp s14 sr on the board and gymbob will have to finish his car. Would use mine but doesn't have a LS motor and is lighter than a ls
    just ask bren. he's had everything , mad ca , built sr , road sr , oem ls2 v8 and mad 7.0 built v8 iron block.

Rides
    *this i got to see*
    !!!!!!!!!

Rides
    what 7 litre iron block was it? The reason im looking at them is because of the 30-40kg extra, if you then also get bored of n/a you can add a turbo plus on ls1 tech 700bhp seems to be pushing the ali heads, which is why i think chubby mccords is a lq9 bottom end as its 950+bhp... im not saying i need that or whatever its just if i went v8 id go all the way.

Still cant make my mind up yes of course the ls will be quicker as the acceleration is instant... however an sr is one hell of a lot cheaper than the ls so its pointless comparing them for 'acceleration and speed' as im not mega fussed.. its more just a case i cant decide whether to do the swap and have a awesome n/a car or... actually drive it for a while and read more up on the subject as people take ls1's out of camero's etc and put l92's in... and the lq9 is actually cheaper lol...

Urgh i cant decide lol

Kieran get you sil back and take me out in it then il decide but one question if the ls1 was so good why ls6? :S

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Gymbob View Post
    what 7 litre iron block was it? The reason im looking at them is because of the 30-40kg extra, if you then also get bored of n/a you can add a turbo plus on ls1 tech 700bhp seems to be pushing the ali heads, which is why i think chubby mccords is a lq9 bottom end as its 950+bhp... im not saying i need that or whatever its just if i went v8 id go all the way.

Still cant make my mind up yes of course the ls will be quicker as the acceleration is instant... however an sr is one hell of a lot cheaper than the ls so its pointless comparing them for 'acceleration and speed' as im not mega fussed.. its more just a case i cant decide whether to do the swap and have a awesome n/a car or... actually drive it for a while and read more up on the subject as people take ls1's out of camero's etc and put l92's in... and the lq9 is actually cheaper lol...

Urgh i cant decide lol

Kieran get you sil back and take me out in it then il decide but one question if the ls1 was so good why ls6? :S
    i believe my silvia will be at the weekender but the guy has done some mods already.

ls6 because the head flows better and will take more bhp for less work. it's 405 std against 350 std in the ls1

Rides
    My sr breaks everytime I drive it even to the shops
    Just put the damn ls in and have done with it you've bought it now may aswel use it!

Rides
    The weight isn't as much of an issue when you have torque, mines the heavy iron block v8 still on iron heads for now as well
    http://sxoc.com/vbb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11238&dateline=1227414084
    Quote Originally Posted by S14 Stu View Post
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

Rides
    ally block ftw ;-)

I think some people need to learn power of an engine is derived from area under the curve, not just as simple as the peak value.

But yeah, dont look at my conversion as im not intending on going for big power, just noise and reliability lol.

Good luck wiuth it whichever way you decide to go

I think soon we will have a V8 S-Body division big enough to rival hose panzer buggers!
    Last edited by MaccyD; 12-05-2012 at 12:49.

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    My old turbo set up did this:

It was pretty quick although a little laggy...

I've been in Kieran's PS with his LS1 and it would shit all over the top of my 180.

Ghost, get a run in an LS powered car. Where an SR pulls and then slows, the V8's pull, hit limiter, change up repeat. Its ****ing insane.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubix_Cube View Post
    My old turbo set up did this:

Where an SR pulls and then slows, the V8's pull, hit limiter, change up repeat. Its ****ing insane.
    i know plenty SR's that keep screaming all the way to 8-8.5k without any sign of slowing, change gear and your still in instant full boost.

for day to day driving, and lazy look i can put my foot down at 1500rpm, of course there is no replacement for displacement.

Rides
    how much does an LS conversion cost diy, 8K'ish, you can build a very good SR24ve for that diy that bhp to bhp will match an LS in performance, to many people tune a high miles SR on a budget then complain when it lets them down,

Rides
    Ls conversion costs 8k for a drive in drive out conversion including sourcing the engine and box
    http://sxoc.com/vbb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11238&dateline=1227414084
    Quote Originally Posted by S14 Stu View Post
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Fake Ben Taylor View Post
    Ls conversion costs 8k for a drive in drive out conversion including sourcing the engine and box
    8k diy i would except but for a garage to do it it must be close to 2k labour so you can get an engine box, headers, exhaust, propshaft, radiator, mounting kit and all the other bits for 4.5k, as if its a drive in drive out conversion then theres VAT to pay to the garage at 20%

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Fake Ben Taylor View Post
    Actual LOL at someone saying a 400bhp ls will be slower than a 400bhp Sr!!! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! You actually know nothing!!
    Sorry to use you but Ben is a beautiful illustration of the plus and minus. The plus is he has a bloody fast V8 car, the minus is its taken 4? years to get there.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    exactly plus as ive said the iron block imo seems the way to go... or the l92, as it also sounds better too imo, the ls1 is awesome and light but for the sake of 30-40kg it can take a whole lot more pressure, if you have the money ls7, but if you dont lq9... fair enough its a truck engine but most of them are lol.

And im afraid to say someones given me the straight asking price today well put a deposit on it. But listen to ls1's comapred to lq9's im telling you the noise is owned lol, even with ls's having open heads

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Sorry to use you but Ben is a beautiful illustration of the plus and minus. The plus is he has a bloody fast V8 car, the minus is its taken 4? years to get there.
    Im looking forward to the weekender to benchmark mine against others. Im interested to see if a low displacement V8 is comparable. Particularly as my conversion will have been done in about 3-4 months of on/off weekends.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MaccyD View Post
    Im looking forward to the weekender to benchmark mine against others. Im interested to see if a low displacement V8 is comparable. Particularly as my conversion will have been done in about 3-4 months of on/off weekends.
    Steve Dunn was round mine last Friday as it happens ....... no further comment
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    If i was in you situation and you can afford the work and you know what your doing, i wouldnt be on here, id be in my garage sticking the v8 in there.

Just for reliability alone, a completely unstressed LS making 400bhp and 400lbft compared to an sr making the same sort of power makes it worthwhile. Ive just finished running in my 3rd SR now in 2 and a half years. The other two where both forged and properly built motors. I do use them very hard and although i take proper precautions an SR being used hard every day making decent power is still a stressed engine. I honestly wish id stuck an Rb25 in there the first time round or bought a different car altogether.

On top of that, who hears of an SR making over 450bhp, not often, 500bhp is seriously rare and anything over 600bhp is normally built by a garage with a big budget or someone in japan or america going drag racing and rebuilding it after every 20 runs. To make that 600bhp and up usefull, you need a VE head and a stroker kit, plus serious headwork and a huge turbo. Itll be gutless below 4500rpm and youll need to rev it to 9 grand to make the most of it. Your going to need a built box to match it too along with an expensive clutch. Itll be near impossible to drive on the road. However, a built ls with the right bits is proven to basically make as much power as you like, reliably and off the shelf too. The gearboxes can take it and they dont go all finecky. Instant torque so you can use it around town aswell.

I love Sr's, but an SR versus an LS isnt a fair fight really.

Have you not considered something like an M5 V8? Comes with a manual box too.

Rides
    I've always wondered how it's v8's from america and not the like's of bmw's that can be got in this contry. Do you get more bang for buck with the LS. I'm guessing the like of a LS is a (not sure how to phrase it) basic engine compared to bmw with all the electronic's ?

I still can't make my mind up. Having a pretty stock sr20det if I should tune it or enjoy it as is and put the money away for a LS conversion.
    Last edited by paddy155; 12-05-2012 at 20:49.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy155 View Post
    I've always wondered how it's v8's from america and not the like's of bmw's that can be got in this contry. Do you get more bang for buck with the LS. I'm guessing the like of a LS is a (not sure how to phrase it) basic engine compared to bmw with all the electronic's ?

I still can't make my mind up. Having a pretty stock sr20det if I should tune it or enjoy it as is and put the money away for a LS conversion.
    The LS is still a single overhead cam i think, so only one cam to change for more powers

The bmw is a quad cam so lots more complicated and way more expensive to tune.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
    The LS is still a single overhead cam i think, so only one cam to change for more powers

The bmw is a quad cam so lots more complicated and way more expensive to tune.
    You can have a set of bmw cams reground for around £210+vat or custom billets for £450+vat.

The Ls engines are just easy to do as all the parts can be brought as bolt on. There is technically much better V8 engines that can be brought for a lot less but require a lot more research,reading, thinking and designing