Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Federal 595 RS-R

Rides
    Anyone got some part worns or these lying around? For a track day coming up and want to give them a go but can't afford new ones

Rides
    At least 2 of my old set had the cut, no dramas though. Worn down normally to the metal with no delams or owt.

Rides
    Yup, 2 of mine have it as well on the Megane but no issues on track last week

Rides
    Second time round:

Visited Brands again yesterday and gave the 595's another thrashing. At the start of the day I was on stiffer springs so I was trying different damper settings to get the car feeling right. 6/5 to 8/6 seems to have been a fairly substantial leap. I've gone from fully hard on the dampers to fully soft. With the dampers too hard the car becomes far too twitchy. Now I wasn't 100% confident in the tyres either as they didn't feel particularly grippy but they seemed to improve throughout the day.

I think what we had as a comparrison was quite interesting though. Mark D took he's E36 328 with some minor mods and ran it on slicks. The car was astonshingly good round the corners. He then switched to some used 888's and to be honest it was still bloody brilliant through the bends. Now I know we're talking about two different car's, and mine has a lot more power, but you can't deny that the BMW, which I drove, just gripped and pretty much everyone else out on track was on 888's.

I'm not saying 595's are totally crap but imo they're not great, they're just OK. Again 6 laps in and they were toast and when they go they go! In the BMW you could feel the tyres gripping and the feedback was great. Whereas with the 595's sometimes I was just hoping they'd grip or being that little more careful. When I did push on with them they bit me, 360 onto the grass at Surtees Probably the best place to come off but there was absolutely no saving it, the rear just whipped round and we were off. I don't think Mark had a single incident but then that doesn't mean anything really.

I will definitely be trying some 888's when these Feds are dead as that will be the true test.

If anyone fancies seeing some pics of yesterday, including some of the Zonda that was there, they're up on my project thread.

Rides
    ^^^
    What alignment settings are you using?

Rides
    Good writeup thanks, what tyre pressures were you running, hot vs cold?

No doubt 888s are better, they're a R compound trackday tyre and 595RSRs are more mixed use, 888s are also nearly twice the price, so maybe a better comparison would be 888 vs Federal FZ-201

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by immy21 View Post
    ^^^
    What alignment settings are you using?
    Aha! You is a mind reader! That's what I'm going to have redone next. My alignment was setup by Sumo Power to their own settings a while ago and even though the car goes in a straight line I can't help but think it needs some more agressive settings for the hard track use it's recieving.

Anyone care to suggest some settings? All I ever hear anyone mention is Mitto's guide but I'm thinking that's more of a drift setup?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by alexj View Post
    Good writeup thanks, what tyre pressures were you running, hot vs cold?
    28 psi hot.
    No doubt 888s are better, they're a R compound trackday tyre and 595RSRs are more mixed use, 888s are also nearly twice the price, so maybe a better comparison would be 888 vs Federal FZ-201
    Yes they are which is why I thought I'd give these a go.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAKTOOTH View Post
    Aha! You is a mind reader! That's what I'm going to have redone next. My alignment was setup by Sumo Power to their own settings a while ago and even though the car goes in a straight line I can't help but think it needs some more agressive settings for the hard track use it's recieving.

Anyone care to suggest some settings? All I ever hear anyone mention is Mitto's guide but I'm thinking that's more of a drift setup?
    Lol, I would suggest try Mitto's with a slightly lengthened rear traction arm but I'm on road tyres, 5/4 suspension so don't know how relevent it will be to you, but I do grip and drift mine.
    My car has awesome balance, and comes back easy when I fook up
    Some rear toe in will probably help you as will more rear camber, but I felt adding rear camber made the car harder to catch when quite sideways.

I was thinking maybe excessive rear toe or camber on the rear is overheating your tyres, just a random guess tbh.

Rides
    I had ali at unit 18 set mine up, didnt fancy mittos setting myself so went for an aggressive road/track setup, i think mittos looks a little toe neutral on the back which i thought would make it a little more tail happy. Saying that my RSR's did really well up at anglessey loads of grip and very predictable. But that was there first use and on a mega hot dry day.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...

Rides
    I can add to this, I recently did 10 laps of the Nurburgring, driving there and back on these too (215 front/235 rear) on my S15 with 235whp/285fly. I went from a 8:57 BGT time last year on same width Maxis Z4S and MAZ1 down to a 8:22 on these. Massive massive difference, gave huge confidence and I didn't feel at all like they started to give out at any point and they took absolute minimal warm up time. No real overheating I noticed either. Gave massive confidence on braking, turn in and corner exit with very little drama. My setup was 0 toe front and back with 2 degrees camber all round on 8/6 coilovers.

Lap here:

I would recommend them to anyone looking for something more than a sports road tyre which doesn't take everything away from the driving experience.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_F View Post
    I can add to this, I recently did 10 laps of the Nurburgring, driving there and back on these too (215 front/235 rear) on my S15 with 235whp/285fly. I went from a 8:57 BGT time last year on same width Maxis Z4S and MAZ1 down to a 8:22 on these. Massive massive difference, gave huge confidence and I didn't feel at all like they started to give out at any point and they took absolute minimal warm up time. No real overheating I noticed either. Gave massive confidence on braking, turn in and corner exit with very little drama. My setup was 0 toe front and back with 2 degrees camber all round on 8/6 coilovers.

I would recommend them to anyone looking for something more than a sports road tyre which doesn't take everything away from the driving experience.
    Fair enough mate and thanks for putting up your settings.

It certainly looks like you're thundering along in the vid without any grip/traction issues. Maybe alignment will transform mine?

Edit: what about front castor?

Rides
    Yes they are which is why I thought I'd give these a go.
    28psi sounds a bit low to me. I run them 32-34 psi hot, too low or high and they are pretty alarming and don't give you any confidence they'll stick.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by alexj View Post
    28psi sounds a bit low to me. I run them 32-34 psi hot, too low or high and they are pretty alarming and don't give you any confidence they'll stick.
    That's interesting. Maybe I'm running them too soft then. Will try them at 32 next time then.

Rides
    I also run them at 32 on the rear and they are quite stretched.

The only issues i ever have are in wet/on dusty roads. In the dry the back is planted even on foot to the floor corners.

Rides
    Fair enough mate and thanks for putting up your settings.

It certainly looks like you're thundering along in the vid without any grip/traction issues. Maybe alignment will transform mine?

Edit: what about front castor?
    I'm still running stock castor rods so whatever the stock setting is!

Additionally, I had all 4 set to 32PSi cold.

Rides
    Lower pressures don't work that well, Sidewalls tend to roll and over heat the tyre making them unpredictable and not that grippy. Again can only echo what Alex said in that its really unfair trying to comapre them to a proper R rated tyre, Although the 888 really isnt that great, Much better R tyres out there.

I run mine at 36hot and they grip a lot better and last a lot longer.

Andy, cracking driving, Enjoyed that lap but its a bit unfair comparing BTG times with different tyres as its knowledge that makes you quicker round there more than anything

Rides
    Great info guys, thanks.

Will be upping the tyre pressures for next time. Will also have my alignment setup again which I'm sure will also make quite a difference.

Rides
    I'll have a set of part worns for sale on the weekend, if any ones interested drop me a PM.

245.35.18 x2
    255.35.18 x2

Shame I can't fit them under my arches as I'd like to see what the hype's about.

Rides
    I used a set at TOTB this weekend and they held out really well and provided plenty of grip.