Thread: CBQ tlc!!!

Rides

CBQ tlc!!!

With the CBQ sitting on my driveway and looking in a very sorry state for itself, i got round to spending a few hours today going over it with a mop. Gave it a wash, ran over it with some claybar, washed it again before hitting it with the mop. After removing all he dirt, and paintwork is actually alot worse then i thought.

After a few passes with the mop, all the imperfections in the paint started to get highlighted. It's probably gone passed the stage of being able to do anything with a machine polisher tbh. Having most of it done, and not being happy with the results, i've decided to leave the rest of it and see will wet sanding achieve any better results.

To Do List:
    • Wet Sand
    • Clear out and wash inside
    • Give a grill a good cleaning and possibly a few coats of char-broil black grill paint
    • Take off matt's reg
    • fix lights
    • fridge for drinks & meats?

It's better then it was, looks ok from the distance but it's shite up close to be honest.

Rides
    You were busy.... how much buckfast had you while doing that!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideways Simon View Post
    You were busy.... how much buckfast had you while doing that!
    lol, i swear all them swirls were there already

Rides
    That looks great in the pics

It was sprayed by me and let's be honest it wasn't good from the start. It was cheap though lol
    Even the paint used is only cheap shit so I don't think you'll ever get it mint tbh

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by calicagesracing View Post
    That looks great in the pics

It was sprayed by me and let's be honest it wasn't good from the start. It was cheap though lol
    Even the paint used is only cheap shit so I don't think you'll ever get it mint tbh
    oh yeah blame the paint nelly;-)

Rides
    Awesome job dude

Out of interest what grade wet and dry did you use?

Rides
    Great work Emmet, definitely an improvement anyways. I really like the idea of a fridge (shamelessly stolen from the Scottish lads )

If you thought it would be worth repainting, I'm sure a few of us could head down some weekend and give you hand? I'm fairly handy with a sheet of wet & dry and know my way round a spray gun (to an extent)

Quote Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
    He hasn't yet I dont think. That's just from the clay bar & machine polisher.

Rides
    Fcukin weather. When it's supposed to be raining it's sunny, and when it's supposed to dry it's raining
    Done a little test patch with the wet sanding. Didn't come out too bad, still some defects but a million times better.
    Waiting for the weather to clear up to do the rest.

Started off with 1500's, then 2000's, then went over it with a Trizact 3000 Grit Foam Disc before running over it with a mop.

Right side as it is:

left side after wet sanding

Quote Originally Posted by calicagesracing View Post

Was it sanded after spraying, and how many coats did it get? I've done a test patch with 1500's but there's still some bits left. If there's enough paint on it i'll try wet sanding it with something more aggressive to try get out them bits left

You can see in the pic what i'm on about, but as you say i probably won't ever get it 100% or even close to it tbh. I'll probably just get pissed off sanding

Quote Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
    Awesome job dude

I didn't wet sand the first attempt, used 3m fast cut plus and finished off with 3m ultrafina.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    I really like the idea of a fridge (shamelessly stolen from the Scottish lads )
    I did say we were going to copy their ideas except the gas part

If you thought it would be worth repainting, I'm sure a few of us could head down some weekend and give you hand? I'm fairly handy with a sheet of wet & dry and know my way round a spray gun (to an extent)
    It's starting to peal under the 1/4 windows, but i don't think it would be worth it yet.
    See how i get on with the wet sanding first. I'd say it will grand for another while anyways.

Rides
    Looks like it's coming up nicely all right. Wet and dry is great stuff to be fair. Prob get away with a sand & touch up here and there for the peeling bits?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by twincam View Post
    Was it sanded after spraying, and how many coats did it get? I've done a test patch with 1500's but there's still some bits left. If there's enough paint on it i'll try wet sanding it with something more aggressive to try get out them bits left
    Ahhhhh.....no, no sanding was done after spraying.
    It got a 'drift' paint job. If it looks good going down the straight flat, it's good enough lol

It got 2 coats of paint man so I'm not sure how hard you'll be able to go on it. They would be thick enough coats though

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by twincam View Post

Started off with 1500's, then 2000's, then went over it with a Trizact 3000 Grit Foam Disc before running over it with a mop.

Right side as it is:

left side after wet sanding

I didn't wet sand the first attempt, used 3m fast cut plus and finished off with 3m ultrafina.

That's a serious difference dude, very good correction work given the quality of the finish to begin with (Sorry Nelly )

Rides
    S'ok, I know where I'm not appreciated!!

Rides
    I never thought the cbq would ever get a cleaning let alone a detail and polish job

Good work

P.s. Ozzie bbq's are shit (they don't even use charcoal) Nothing on the cbq ones

Rides
    Long time no see Matt! How are you getting on? Glad to see you're still alive at least!

Rides
    i friggin luv this thing..... so much win.
    "If you don't fight for something, you'll fall for anything" - The Wise Man

Rides
    Long time no see Matt! How are you getting on? Glad to see you're still alive at least!
    Hiya

Getting on grand! Havin a great time

Busy looking for work at the moment, turns out its harder then I thought. Apparently there is concern about the budget in June