Thread: Poo, Poo and more Poo..

Rides

Poo, Poo and more Poo..

first up, my gearbox blew last month, so just had that fixed and sorted and got the car back.

next day I'm driving down the D/C and something decides to go wrong, fuel gauge is above the red mark but the light comes on. car bogs down as if the fuel pressure has dropped. but the fuel pump seems to be ok, so im thinking boost pipe has come off or something?

anyone around gloucester able to help as tbh, I don't know wtf I'm looking at!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodonkey View Post
    first up, my gearbox blew last month, so just had that fixed and sorted and got the car back.

next day I'm driving down the D/C and something decides to go wrong, fuel gauge is above the red mark but the light comes on. car bogs down as if the fuel pressure has dropped. but the fuel pump seems to be ok, so im thinking boost pipe has come off or something?

anyone around gloucester able to help as tbh, I don't know wtf I'm looking at!
    That sux donkey balls.

I feel your pain. Could be the fuel pressure regulator?? Boost pipes are the easier items to check first though.

May need rr-ing to cut to the chase on the diagnosis, but theres bound to be someone in the West Country section who can assist.

Rides
    I may be wrong,but i don't think the fuel light comes on when you lose a boost hose,is it running at all? as it'll run but just not well wth a boost leak! I hope you get it sorted anyway.

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

And if you can't fix it with a hammer,you've got an electrical problem!

Rides
    Before you turn the car on can you hear the fuel pump priming? May need to take the rear seats down and move the carpet. Should hear a whiring sound. Also check the plugs on top of the fuel tank. Just grab some mOre fuel if it's quite low and chuck some in.

Rides
    You sure you have enough petrol in it? The light wont come on because of a boost leak or a pump failure as its got a seperate sender in the tank.

The guage could be stuck and you are out of gas.

Rides
    I would put more fuel in
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    +1 for "add petrol"

Rides
    LOL! I don't know if it's quite so possible, but in my old Sierra I reversed into a low wall (repeatedly). The wall was below my rear bumber, however the fuel tank took the hit each time.

It got so dented that the car would run out of fuel well before the guage hit the red simply because of all the dents in the bottom of the fuel tank. Could you have done something similar?

Rides
    Remind me never to lend you any of my cars Steve...

Rides
    the fuel pump is priming, the car is running, it idles just under 1k, and when you try and put the foot down it try's to go, but it jitters thruoughout the revs. its fine as long as you gradually increase foot pressure on accel, just not when you floor it. don't think its a fuel problem, just think it was the fact the car tried to stand on its nose and pushed all the petrol to the front of the tank for a second or so. that's just my thought on the red light though.

Rides
    Sounds like you hit fuel cut and the shock sloshed the fuel up the front of the tank and triggered the fuel light? If thats what happened you need to work out why you hit the fuel cut safety, what boost/spec are you running?

Pull the plugs and post a pic of what colour they are (a close up of the bit of white(when new) ceramic and the electrode).

Rich

Rides
    boost pipe/leak

Rides
    I'd pull the pump and check the wiring. Check the pickup sock hasn't collapsed. Fuel pump may be dying?

Rides
    Mine had similar fault and turned out to be a coil pack,

Rides
    im hoping its not the pump as it's only done around 8k miles. maybe thepickup sock but not sure atm.l sock. getting it looked at on saturday so hopefully its nothing major

Rides
    had the car picked up tonight to go and get sorted (also lowered and wheels built) and mums bf (who's fixing it), said it sounds more like a coilpack or plug is ****ed. so now to find out which...

Rides
    I would check the boost pipes first, If it will rev up slowly but will not drive under load then its a good shout. Also if you blow a hose off then you will get a lot of black smoke when you accelerate a bit.

To check the coilpacks.
    Pull fuel pump fuse, remove the plugs and push them into the coilpacks one at a time and hold the plug against the metalwork of the engine( to earth it), Crank the car over and you should see the plug sparking. Dont touch the plug though with your hands, Will hurt a little.