Thread: The "Moo" sarga continues! Low boost, "Moo" noises, turbo gasket blown,actuator prob?

Rides

The "Moo" sarga continues! Low boost, "Moo" noises, turbo gasket blown,actuator prob?

Litterally a week after I found that my turbo to manifold nuts were loose (SR20DET-Weird-quot-moo-quot-fart-vibration-at-4000-Revs-Help!) and tightened them; the whole thing let go again! This time I lost two nuts and the gasket was almost nowhere to be seen!

So followed the awesome guide that Aitch made and now I've found even more problems...

First thing I noticed was that the wastegate to actuator arm sleeve looked like it has been welded (and the weld had broken) and it had slid out slightly. After a closer look and removing the turbo elbow I noticed that the wastegate is jammed slightly open! So im guessing this is why Im not getting full boost?

Also, the sleeve that looks like it has been welded and broken; is that done at the factory?

Has anyone else had a similar problem? As im about to press / hammer the sleeve back into place and I hope thats the best thing to do!

Better picture:

Also; another scary bit I had to do was this! I must admit Aitchs comment "twat away at it where the pipe meets the manifold" worked surprisingly well! Just got to get the damn hole plugged up now in the manifold!

If I have disconnected the vacume hose (and blocked it) to the EGR control valve, does that mean I can leave the pipe open that was going from the EGR valve to the exhaust manifold?

Cheers guys!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 200sxAndy View Post

mine doesn't have that weld on the sleeve. it looks like that weld will stop the arm from moving.

Rides
    One of my goosed turbo's has a slighty stuck open wastegate and looks like above.
    I didnt bother trying to do anything to it but it didnt budge with a light tapping tool

Rides
    I've seen others where the sleeve has moved. It'll need putting back and rewelding.

Rides
    I found that a large hammer did the trick! I got the sleeve back into place and get it re-welded, and I finally have a working turbo! After getting everything back togeather I've got a slight problem with a really high idle speed... Im guessing my coolant level is a bit low or something?

Rides
    To anyone with the same idle issues; it definatly was just the coolant. I followed the thread here and it fixed it.

After all the welding, new gaskets, hammering, bloody fingers; my sx is finally how it should have been! I didn't realise it when I bought the car since I had never owned an SX before. It now feels like a rocket and I can hear an awesome turbo spooling / recirc DV noise now! My boost gauge is reading 0.8 bar boost now, is that about right? (I've done the Free Boost Upgrade) and its also spooling up at much much lower revs! Before it wasn't till I hit around 4K rpm now its more like 2k rpm!

Rides
    you do have an uprated fuel pump?

Rides
    Good work! Must feel awesome by comparison!

Rides
    To anyone with the same idle issues; it definatly was just the coolant. I followed the thread here and it fixed it.

After all the welding, new gaskets, hammering, bloody fingers; my sx is finally how it should have been! I didn't realise it when I bought the car since I had never owned an SX before. It now feels like a rocket and I can hear an awesome turbo spooling / recirc DV noise now! My boost gauge is reading 0.8 bar boost now, is that about right? (I've done the Free Boost Upgrade) and its also spooling up at much much lower revs! Before it wasn't till I hit around 4K rpm now its more like 2k rpm!
    Sounds good mate, well done.
    I might have similar issues then as I don't get much power/boost at low revs.
    I'm about to install my boost gauge though, so I'll see what readings I get and go from there.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Janus View Post
    you do have an uprated fuel pump?
    No idea! This was totally standard when I bought it a few weeks ago. Might I run into fuel pressure issues with the FBU?

Still cant believe how awesome it does feel now!!

Rides
    uprated pump for sale if interested

Rides
    No idea! This was totally standard when I bought it a few weeks ago. Might I run into fuel pressure issues with the FBU?

Still cant believe how awesome it does feel now!!
    "potentially" out could end up melting pistons and such like especially with the FBU i would hazard a guess you don't have a boost gauge either?

don't drive it hard until you sling in a fuel pump

Rides
    I have a Fuel pressure gauge and a boost gauge fitted. Altho the boost gauge is reading -0.1 Bar even when the engine off, so im guessing im actually running more like 0.9 bar and the gauge is a bit naff. Im worried now, should I remove the FBU until I fit a better fuel pump?

Im popping out in a bit, so i'll get some readings from the fuel pressure gauge. From memory it was between 45 and 60 psi driving around (idle and full throttle) before I fixed the turbo issues...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 200sxs13 View Post
    uprated pump for sale if interested
    How much? The sx has skinted me out soo much this month, but I get paid in two weeks...

Rides
    Apparently the stock fuel pump is running up to 66psi at max boost; which flickered on 0.9 bar (but my gauge reads a little under so maybe 1 bar?) is this safe? Worried now lols.....

Rides
    On standard ECU, you don't want to go more than 0.9bar really dude.
    Turn it down, get it H-Dev'd chipped, and then get the right mods and turn up the boost more.

But I would get fuel pump as soon as you can