Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheapo GPS Tracker Review

Rides

Cheapo GPS Tracker Review

I bought one of these cheapo GPS trackers the other week, not expecting too much but as it was fairly cheap I thought I'd try it out to see what you get for your money.

I was fairly impressed to be honest.

Here's the little thing, they're all over eBay. I paid just under £40.
    $(KGrHqF,!iEE6G3fC!8bBOnp92S4T!~~60_12.JPG
    Size wise it's abit smaller than a credit card, half inch thick or so. Inside there's a battery and space for a mobile sim card.

It's pretty simple to use, you slap in a PAYG sim with some credit and text commands to that number. It communicates back via SMS.

So does it work??

Well yes, it works great. You make a call to the tracker, it rings for abit then go's to answerphone. The tracker then sends you an SMS containing it's GPS co-ordinates as well as a googlemaps link.
    This works really well if you have a smartphone, just click on the link and it brings up a map with the location.

The accuracy is alot better than I expected, the manual claims within 6m and it's bang on.
    It doesn't take ages to get a fix either. Usually by the time you've put the phone down from calling it you already have the text containing the location.
    It's able to receive gps signal hidden under fabric as well, which opens up the options or hiding it from view really nicely. If it's unable to give you a gps fix it will send you the location of the nearest phone tower. So if the car is taken inside a warehouse or whatever you've still got a rough idea of the area it's in.

There is also an option for continuous tracking, it will send you a location message every 30s.
    I gave it a while and that works pretty well too, it even reports the speed it travelling. Accuracy was still good, even down to the side of the road being travelled on.

There's various security options, setting a geo-fence will allow it to move within a certain area, then msg when it leaves the area. I tried it but you need to set the area fairly wide as it alarms when it nears the edge.
    The better option is one that will alert when it moves from within 200m of it's current location, this works really well.
    When I set this I got a tracker message as soon as I got to the end of my road.

All in it's a pretty decent little thing, being self contained means there's no pissing around with wires for the install and as it's so small it's dead easy to hide.
    The sellers will sell it with a charging unit to hardwire into the battery, it's a couple of quid extra so it's a good idea to get that. Having said that the battery that is currently in mine has lasted well over 72 hours and is still going strong.

Rides
    i've heard good stories abut this type of thing, i have been thinking of getting one to play with and for my possible new car.

for ~£40 it cant be bad - the only thing is the sim Card, as some operators disconect some PAYG sims if you dont put say £10 on a month, for instance.

i may buy one.

you got a link to the one you bought? i'd rather buy one that has been proven to work

Rides
    I bought from this seller, I'd recommend this one as it comes with the charger for an extra 2 quid

My sim is with O2, as far as I know they don't disconnect you if you don't topup, but when you do you get 300 texts and loads of free internet (which would be useful if the car gets nicked)

Rides
    what Sim deal is that for O2 - i'll get one of those

Rides
    Interesting, I was wondering whether these were any good and it sounds like they are reasonable.

I spoke with an advisor in carphone warehouse... he reckoned that O2 would be the best payg sim card for this. They all have expiry dates, but provided there is use... O2 won't cut you off for not topping up, unlike other providers. He informed that there would need to be no activity for three months before the sim would be cut off, so that leads me to think that all you'd have to do would be to check the system with a text every two months to keep it active...

Cheap as chips GPS tracking

Rides
    Cool worth remembering

I went for the O2 'Text and Web' PAYG sim. O2 will send you one for free

Rides
    Excellent review mate. Thanks!

Rides
    Is it battery powered? Would like to hook it up so it doesn't need charging. Guess you want the battery incase the battery is cut

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skidder166 View Post
    Is it battery powered? Would like to hook it up so it doesn't need charging. Guess you want the battery incase the battery is cut
    didnt you read the first post, and then the third post?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
    didnt you read the first post, and then the third post?
    no

Rides
    Cool these are , Its a shame they don't have a digital output or two you can enable via text. I'm sure they will develop one soon under £70

You could send a text to cut the engine when the vehicle stopped.

Rides
    Actually they do make one to do just that, it's about a tenner more here.
    The install looks abit more invloved, more wires running everywhere - it might get noticed more easily and ripped out.

The reason I didn't go for this one is I figured if someone's stolen the car, chances are they're out giving it some heavy right foot action.
    If you cut the power, they loose all control and are quite likely to have a nasty accident - This is something that could get you in some pretty serious trouble

I'm not sure it would have the option to cut the power only when the vehicle is stopped.
    Last edited by R3k1355; 01-03-2012 at 11:12.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3k1355 View Post
    Actually they do make one to do just that, it's about a tenner more here.
    The install looks abit more invloved, more wires running everywhere - it might get noticed more easily and ripped out.

The reason I didn't go for this one is I figured if someone's stolen the car, chances are they're out giving it some heavy right foot action.
    If you cut the power, they loose all control and are quite likely to have a nasty accident - This is something that could get you in some pretty serious trouble

I'm not sure it would have the option to cut the power only when the vehicle is stopped.
    Yea I agree you'd need to combine it with a speed figure.

Rides
    The main networks cut off prepay sims if you don't make a chargeable call or text every 180 days.
    So as long as you remember to use it once every 6 months £10 credit could easily last years.

The car battery drain would be my only concern.

Rides
    Well the battery in my S13 is a 50 amp hour battery. The battery in the tracker is 1 amp hour (supposedly).

The tracker has been running on it's own battery for the last 5 days and it's still no where near flat, so I think attaching it to the cars battery will have no descernable impact on it.

Rides
    Do you know how long it takes to fully charge?

Rides
    The manual says 8-12 hours for the first charge, 2-3 after that.

Rides
    I've seen these before. Great idea and good value for money. I was thinking of one for my little fiesta too. It rarely gets used so when in the garage I disconnect the battery it stills keeps tabs. So I assume you can buythe one that plumbs nto a 12v feed and then disconnect the battery you are getting atleast 5 days (maybe more??) before it needs to charge the tracker unit. Ideal really. Take for car for a run or just conect the battery again for a couple hours and it's topped up.

Rides
    Any idea if it's waterproof? Good thing for motorbikes

Rides
    I'd say not, but you can buy waterproof 'bags'. I see people with jetski's using them for mobile phones all the time.