Thread: S body new clutch issues

Rides

S body new clutch issues

Any help on the following will be appriciated.

I just changed the Clutch on the nissan

basically, i think theres a problem with the Release bearing/faulk area

- when the car is idling there is basically no sound.

- When you depress the clutch the engine goes under load a little.

- the clutch a little makes grinding noise

i released the clutch in gear for a second, the clutch seems to engage fine and much lower down the peddle.

then i just turned it off hoping i havent done any damage to the bearing.

so far possible probelms release bearing on wrong way? the bearing was the type with no back where the whole casing rotates around the centre. With a curved size on one and a flat but stepped side on the other?

The Sping could have come off the faulk? but i dont think so? but i dont know what the sympoms of this are?

it could be just the flywheel cleaning off where it has been milled - its perfectly smooth but does it need some bedding in.. (i doubt it)

Apart from that - Could the noise/problems be coming from the box?

Rides
    hi joesefer did u replace the clutch release bearing with a new 1?
    what do u mean depress the clutch taking ur foot of the clutch? and when u do there is a grinding noise? is the car in neutral?

Rides
    hi yes it was a new bearing!

and yes it is in nuteral!

when i press the clutch down the noise starts!

Rides
    thats weird is it an sr? what kind of clutch was it?

Rides
    excedy sports paddle.

what is really odd is the engine under load, as soon as i start to press the clutch the revs begin to drop. i dont get it.

Rides
    That's definitely release bearing noise... With the bearing the rounded surface should be against the clutch cover and the flat side should be pressed nice and squarely onto the carrier. If the bearing went on lop sided or the wrong way round it would definitely bind and grind I'd think because it would be pressed in through the bearing face into the other half and the whole thing will be bound up....

Rides
    the release bearing was one that rotates around the enter not with a outer casing

it looked like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/S13-S14-240S...-/190592432245

Not the kind of "obvious which way around it goes type" but i compared it to the one that came out, and it looked most like the face you can see there goes against the clutch plate?

this is where i think it could be the wrong way around. i wasnt sure - all the ones i have done before have had the solid outer casing!
    Last edited by Joesefer; 02-04-2012 at 21:15.

Rides
    http://www.tune2win.com/index.php/di...ne_swap_guide/

In this guide it details which way to put the type of bearing i have I think it maybe the wrong way around ( athough i did check in another guie but it may have been the oter case type bearing that looked different)

Rides
    did u check the new release bearing make sure it was turning freely/smoothly? what engine do u have? its kinda got to be sum thing to do with the release bearing because then u press the clutch that disconnects any drive/power going to the gearbox the only way ul find out is to take the gearbox back out and have a look
    btw clutches,brakes ect. are all ment to be bedded in but ther should not be any grinding noises from them at all when bedding in

Rides
    it looks to be in correctly and the right way as well mmmm take apart time

Rides
    That first eBay pic shows the side that should face backwards towards the box. If you look carefully you'll see that the centre ring where you press the carrier onto sits slightly proud of the surface, so if you pressed the carrier through from the other side there effectively wouldn't be a bearing as you are throwing the fork out and literally pushing the carrier and it's just grinding this ring against the cover. Needs looking at ASAP before the new bearing or cover pplate springs get ruined mate or worse, if it suddenly bit against the cover (IF this is your problem) it would damage the carrier, springs, fork and maybe the pivot ball too as the carrier is not designed to rotate more than a tiny bit on the greased sleeve around the input shaft

Rides
    Also if you followed that guide, don't grease the splines on the input shaft and risk flicking it onto the clutch or flywheel, the box will go back on fine without it if it's been aligned properly...

Rides
    Cheers guys it sports that's the problem and your explanation sounds right for the noise I've barely even engaged the clutch one time and with no load, hopefully everything Is ok I'll start stripping it back down tonight. If a mod reads this can the change the topic to 'which way around does the release bearing go' or something just to help anyone else, I know it sounds like a bit of a school boy mistake but there's a few styles of bearing, from looking at the other 2 I had the wrong way seemed the right way!

Anyhow ill post back the results soon!