Thread: Dual Mass Flywheel to Solid?

Rides

Dual Mass Flywheel to Solid?

Anyone every heard of someone converting a DMF to a solid flywheel?

With my project there are no off the shelf options for clutches or flywheels, not even a stock solid mass replacement. They're not a weak point normally (and is probably why there isn't a conversion out there), but with running over 100lbft more over standard torque I'm probably on borrowed time. I'm also wary of the clutch.

I've found a combination of uprated pressure plate and sprung clutch disc that's rated to 492lbft from some aftermarket Nissan options that will actually fit my standard flywheel. I'm not fussed about a lightweight fly, so if I could get mine welded up and balanced this would be the answer. I could replace the sprung clutch disc with a solid one but that doesn't get away from the fact the DMF could still fail in the future.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Rides
    I have seen it done loads on times on Transit and Mondeo TDCis, still not convinced its a good idea though
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Yeah I'm wary too because of the nature of a flywheel. A full custom flywheel will cost upwards for £400, which is also the cost of the uprated clutch so £800 is a lot to spend. However they seem to be quotes for lightweight flywheels. Perhaps one made out of cast iron will be cheaper.

Rides
    I had one welded on my omega, it worked excellently. I didnt notice any difference at all in NVH or drivability (apart from the fact that it worked again, lol)

Rides
    Good to know it's possible, thanks.

Rides
    A friend use to do a roaring trade converting Transits from dual to single mass flys. Never had any comebacks or problems.

Rides
    I know the Transits actually have a solid mass option to swap the DMF out with. So was it swapping he did, or actually make the DMFs solid themselves?

Rides
    I've done the conversion with a golf 1.8t - some ebay sellers do a solid flywheel - doesn't seem to have impacted longevity so far.

never seen a welded one then remachined though if you're careful and manage the welding heat appropriately (i.e. not getting it to red hot, making sure it's not bluing the steel etc etc), I don't see how it'd be a problem but not sure if many machine shops will do it.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by edk View Post
    I know the Transits actually have a solid mass option to swap the DMF out with. So was it swapping he did, or actually make the DMFs solid themselves?
    No he would have been swapping over to solid flys.

Rides
    When I looked into it for my BMW I was told it could transmit a fair bit of extra vibration/judder through the engine/box mounts, so I got another DMF in the end.

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    I'm hoping it won't be so bad if I keep the stock weight the same, and use the sprung clutch disc. With the BMW did you look at changing the clutch too, or only the DMF?

Rides
    IIRC it was a kit with DMF and a different clutch, I can't remember now TBH.

If it were me I'd leave it until such time as it does fail and then assess why it failed, if it wasn't through mileage/general wear and tear I'd be surprised.

I fitted a brand new OE spec LUK clutch kit and DMF to mine, cost me £4-500 I think.

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Thanks yeah I think I'll leave it a while yet as I'm sure I've got several thousand miles left in it yet. It's only slipped once but that was in 6th gear up hill at full boost, so I'll let it off!

When the time comes though it's about £500 for the DMF and £300 a the clutch, so if I can go aftermarket and use the ACT clutch I have in mind I would prefer too but like you say I'll have to consider the extra vibrations I might get. Could be trial and error thing, and if it doesn't work out I can always sell the clutch onto a GTS-T owner as that's it's intended fitment but happens to fit mine too .

Rides
    Plenty of kits out there to convert S15's from DMF to standard, my first S15 had it done with no issues

Rides
    Have you shopped around to get that price? Mine was looking more like £800 for the DMF and clutch to start with but after ringing around a few places I found this on t'internet. Think it was from a place called Buypartsby.co.uk

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by drifter View Post
    Plenty of kits out there to convert S15's from DMF to standard, my first S15 had it done with no issues
    None for the N16

Quote Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
    Have you shopped around to get that price? Mine was looking more like £800 for the DMF and clutch to start with but after ringing around a few places I found this on t'internet. Think it was from a place called Buypartsby.co.uk
    I do know that place but haven't thought to check there yet, so thanks! Just did and it's £337 for DMF and £125 for clutch An Exedy OEM clutch might be a bit more trustworthy for a bit more money but those prices are much more reasonable! I would be fitting it all myself anyway. So at least that's a fall back if the uprated clutch and SMF doesn't work well.
    Last edited by edk; 15-03-2012 at 17:02.

Rides
    N16 would be a renault engine wouldn't it ? Might be worth trying Renault listings.

Rides
    Nope, all Nissan. Only thing it shares is the DCi name. Later Nissan DCis were Renault like the 1.5 DCi micra and note and 2.0 xtrail.

-phone-