Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Weekender drifters....

Rides

2012 Weekender drifters....

What are you guys doing about tyres? Normally i just turn up with 2 drift wheels and get new tyres put on throughout the day by mint tyres or similar. Have we thought about getting someone like mint to turn up or is everyone just brining lots of wheels?

Rides
    One has been arranged goingby kierans comment in the other thread

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Mint tyres will be there, he'll have some to sell on but Ill be taking 6/8 up with me anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Cheers guys, not sure if my wheels will be good enough anyway, only got s13 15" steels. I think the V8 will eat through them alot quicker than my current engineo should probably look at getting some other wheels.

Rides
    Maccy, What sort of power is the V8 running? Pretty sure you should be looking for some 17's really! 15's are a no-no!

I PM'ed ***** and although you can be out for as long/as many times you like per session its impossible that the majority of peoples tyres will last that long. I'm counting on my tyres lasting 10 minutes maximum, baring in mind its going to be a 3rd gear track. Even if they last longer than that, i'll probably need to stop to give the car a chance to cool down a bit, as hopefully, it'll be nice warm/dry weather!

The drift sessions are 35 minutes x 4, I doubt I will have a chance to get out, burn a set, come in and change, and then get back out again. So i'm working on the plan that i'll use 8 tyres that day, I could get 8 wheels in the car tyred up although I will see what happens nearer the time with regards to how many I can comfortably get in, bare in mind its a 3 1/2 hour drive to the weekender. Working on that basis, when i'm out on track i'll be trying to make that 1 pair last as long as possible as once they are shot, thats it. MX-5 boys should have a ball here, I doubt you'll be coming in very soon!

Mint tyres is confirmed (awesome!) so whatever happens even if I only take 4 or 6, I can buy a pair up there.

Thats just my plan though
    Last edited by Mark D; 04-03-2012 at 18:43.

Rides
    Lol mark ill be trying to keep up with you mate, should be awesome to drift, if I aint driving an sbody the mx will have to be balls out me thinks!

Rides
    Should only be running about 300bhp mark. Why would i need 17s? Forgive my lack of knowledge ive only drifted the navan.

Rides
    At 300 16s should be fine mate, thats what I used to run on my 300bhp s13. Id just use standard 14 alloys tbh

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    I'm just taking a pair of wheels with tyres on them, then I'll get more from Mint Tyres.

Not planning on Drifting all the time anyhoo.

Rides
    Yeah thats what i normally do Rubix. And same also, i prefer a bit of grip but drifting is fun :-D V8 should be well run in by then (assuming its finished) as id have been to Le Mans and back so wont be scared to open the taps.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MaccyD View Post
    Should only be running about 300bhp mark. Why would i need 17s? Forgive my lack of knowledge ive only drifted the navan.
    Oh blimey, I imagined you might be running a little bit more than that! I'm guessing the torque is decent though?

Personally, I would still use 17's however you'll more than likely be fine with 16's, just knock the pressure down a little bit. Wheel/tyre sizes definately aren't the be all and end all lol, its just levels of grip really - mostly personal choice. Is the car still running 4 stud hubs?

Quote Originally Posted by Rubix_Cube View Post
    I'm just taking a pair of wheels with tyres on them, then I'll get more from Mint Tyres.

Not planning on Drifting all the time anyhoo.
    Probably a good idea for a few people. Mint charges £19 a pair for taking off tyres, putting new ones on (mint supplied) and disposal of the 2 old ones. Just so your ready for the prices. Thats why i'm hoping to bring a minimum of 6, as £20 a pair is expensive when you add it up lol!

Rides
    I think mints prices are pretty cheap. Unless youve got a supply of cheap tyres and a way of getting them on the rims i dont think you can sy much fairer than £9.50 a wheel to get you straight back out again.

Yeah, im only running the 1UZ at standard power indefinitely. Thats the plan anyway. Should be about 290bhp and about 310-320flb with exhaust and intake i think. Ive not done any high power drifting yet so it will be an experience! Will need to try and get some cheap 16 or 17" wheels i guess!

Rides
    i think he's between 5 to 20 per tyre depending on condition.

Rides
    Probably just slide on my road wheels, 170bhp is pretty easy on tyres haha

Rides
    I won't be drifting but I'm always keen to hear what you guys are thinking

Rides
    I've had a quick scan through some of the 2012 threads but I can't find any info on passengers? Are they allowed? Gripping and drifting?

During the drift sessions is it open pit or sent out in groups?

How about an mx-5 chase car with camera onboard for some really cool vids?

Rides
    Passengers are allowed mate, they just need to have a lid and attend a briefing

Rides
    I'll be taking either a pair or 4 wheels with me depending on space. Hopefully I'll use them and need to get more tyres.

Rides
    I'll be drifting and it'll be my first time so go easy on me lol. And any pointers welcome

Rides
    oooh chase car is an awesome idea