Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Locost + sr20det = win

Rides
    Cool how much do you want for them? i obviously don't want the wheels but if you don't either then its no bother for me to remove them.

Ta Jon

Rides
    Don't think the wheels cost me much, some of the wheels aren't in great condition.

I was thinking £120 for the lot, so how does £100 sound?

Rides
    I don't have the money at the moment so I will have to wait for a bit sorry Chris.

Bit of an update. Alternator Is trial fitted and all seems good.

I am going to get it black anodised now so it looks pretty.

Rides
    I am watching this thread with great interest after buying this at the weekend:

It is an SSC Stylus.

The mildly cam'ed 1.8 Zetec on carbs is OK but I will get bored of it. I am trying to decide if I want SR power or a modern V6 but not till next year.

Rides
    I saw that you'd bought one, I thought it looked like a TVR looks tidy. The only problem with the SR is the height of it. I'm still un decided what to do about the bonnet at the moment. Cut out for the cam cover or lift the whole thing up including the nose cone by 2". At least with a V6 you'll have plenty of room height wise.

you going to use it over the winter? You do have a roof after all

just spotted this.
    Last edited by jon200; 17-09-2012 at 20:46.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMonkeyKong View Post
    I am watching this thread with great interest after buying this at the weekend:

It is an SSC Stylus.

The mildly cam'ed 1.8 Zetec on carbs is OK but I will get bored of it. I am trying to decide if I want SR power or a modern V6 but not till next year.
    They look great! I want one like that to drop a CA18DET into
    Love the 7 shape and less weight, but would prefer it to look like a normal car, have a roof and less aero drag if possible.

Rides
    The engine dilemma can wait till next year and I will try and use it over the winter but I hardly drove the SX in the winter so it won't be much different. I had seen there was an SR Stylus there is also a 400hp RX7 engined one. Eek!

The Stylus is rated at 600kg on the SVA so it weighs roughly the same as a sevenesque car and is basically a Striker under the body. I wanted it because it looks a little different, this is a lot more stable at high speed than sevens I have been in, which I guess is the better aero and the wider footwell means better spaced pedals.

Anyway back on topic when are you bringing it to the South West to cause me much SR related temptation?!?

Also raised bonnets make Sevens look front heavy and less pretty, I would go for the power bulge.

Rides
    I think I will do some form of bulge like you say they don't look right with a big front.

You can't put a ****el in it it's not allowed!

I want to go to Cornwall in it when it's done. I want to go to hayle to see my brothers. Will be next summer hopefully.

I have ordered an alternator belt 1070 5pk which should be here tomorrow.

Rides
    Made myself a magnetic sump plug today, sod buying one. Will modify yours if you send me a plug. £5 returned and will not strip as its steel.

Rides
    Little update, god an alternator belt to make up the extra length. Think I got robbed though, bloody £15.99!!!

Rides
    I got the alternator belt fitted and aligned, not very exciting but I am happy as its my first proper modification on the road to fitting the engine in.

I changed the wheels yesterday and found these!
    I never like these ones, didn't get any vibration from them but I have now bought some 16mm hubcentric ones to make the front and rear track the same.

Here is a picture of the wheels fitted, they have tyres fitted now but still need to fit the new front cycle wings on once the brackets are finished. I have to bring them out from the car 30mm each side. The rears were spaced out 30mm in the pictures but this is now going to be 16mm.

Last edited by jon200; 13-10-2012 at 07:13.

Rides
    Tyres fitted and wheels fitted with tyres this time. No spacers on the rear currently and the rear is 30mm is narrower track so as soon as the spacers arrive I will fit them and then sort out the rear arch width so the wheel is covered.

What should I do with the rear arch gap? I don't want to go lower.

Rides
    How come you have gone for wider rims? What was that chassis setup for wheel/tyre combo?

Still running 13's on mine and seem to suit the chassis really well. I know Flan who did the sr20det in his locost (one of the bigger ones) and he was running wider wheels / tryes and felt it ruined the balance of the car. Running 185/60/13 A048's and dealt with the power fine and very progressive break of traction from all 4 wheels. Maybe when I up the power further they will show signs of weakness? But slicks chould help also

Also 13's are dirt cheap for decent track tyres / slicks

Although mine is not road legal and never will, clearnance is very very poor

DG

Rides
    it had 15s on it when I got it and found these reasonably priced so thought I'd see what its like. I thought about 13's but wasn't sure about brake clearance up front with the M16 calipers.

I will see what its like and if I think its twitchy etc then I may change them. Time will tell I guess.

you got any pics of yours to put up yet Duncan?

Rides
    I am due a cd in the post of a load of pics from the blyton track day with RTOC and should get some from that. I WILL next time over at the garage its stored roll it out and get some pictures.

I had issues with the brake setup but have put it down to pads atm, going to try 1144 over the greenstuff on there from the race series but may have to review further just does not stop hard enough for my liking

DG

Rides
    Due to a change in plans I am selling this lot. Its all running well albeit pretty rich so will need mapping. I have the lead for the omex and the software can be downloaded for free. I also have a different map but I have never tried it. Mileage is unknown but judging by the cleanliness of the engine its pretty low. No leaks but the coolant system could do with a flush out as its a little brown. The engine is still in the car and running, I'm not going to remove it until its bought with a deposit secured. I will do a cold and hot compression test asap and upload pictures soon too.

1800 silvertop zetec engine built by scholar (blueprinted)
    http://www.scholarengines.co.uk/products.html
    unknown mileage but when it was bought it was exceptionally clean. £350

raceline wet sump. £260

griffin inlet manifold.£300

Omex 600 ecu.£400

type9 gearbox£150
    longlife 4_2_1 stainless manifold£180

pipercross cone filter£15

high pressure fuel pump£40

High pressure fuel filter £10

FSE power boost valve£50

samco and copper hoses
    brand new radiator (Nissan Almera)£30

A pretty much brand new alternator, not sure what its off though.

Ally expansion tank £15

Ally catch tank £10

I want to sell the lot together so I am looking for £1080 for the lot.

Anyone know anyone that might be interested?

Rides
    Sold the old engine and box with all the other stuff so now I am left with this.

I am worried that I will need to trim the triangulation bar that runs toward the bulkhead but I won't know until the engine is fitted in.

Trader: Plus Four Engineering Plus4E's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jon200 View Post
    I am worried that I will need to trim the triangulation bar that runs toward the bulkhead but I won't know until the engine is fitted in.
    Cut it out completely then, once the engine's in, work out how best to put the stiffness back in. Plenty of folk making similar mods / changes to the locost design to accommodate all kinds of engines.
    Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Good effort on selling the engine etc. Sounds like someone got a bit of a bargain tbh. Running again by christmas?
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    I think thats what i will end up doing in the end JN, I will have to read up a little as i dont want it to be weaker by messing with it. If i keep the triangle there but make is slimmer it should retain the same strength. Thats my thinking anyway, i may be completely wrong. What do people that fit RV8's etc in do about it though, leave it out i guess.

I somehow doubt it will be running by Xmas Chris, i hope to get the engine mounts done by then and the engine and box in. It will free up some room in the garage bloody engines everywhere!