Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: First SXOC Crail drift day of 2012, Sat 7th April

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Thats disgusting TBH, had a similar thing happen to me a while back. People who cant control themselves or their cars shouldnt be allowed on track in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeek View Post
    wow i was told it was a twinning accident!
    I just gathered it was from what I saw from the other side of the track, with him coming up on him so quick.

Rides
    Definatley wasn't twinning, I wish it was that eventful! The car is definatley a write off, as is my neck haha. Need to find some unit space ASAP to get the car broken up and get in the hotseat again, I had loads of fun trying to slide 170bhp of 80psi'd N/A rage haha!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by thehats13 View Post
    yeah i watched the vid of the smash last night and and instantlly felt worse for gary than i already did i wont comment on the drifting past people as im terrible for it and i know i shouldnt do it

but what i must say is gary has way more control than i do as i would have thor punched the driver of the bmw for that one so fair play gary
    Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    there was that incident that we talked about earlier lol. But the difference was, you both drifted around me knowing where I was, whereas he kept going in front of gary without a clue where or what his arse end was doing.

I've drifted around people before as well, i always thought it was ok as long as you kept wide and knew exactly what you were doing??!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_e1 View Post
    i've got that on video and am tempted to put it up as a what to do since we now have a what not to do

edit here it is.

http://youtu.be/DvNN_9v6DrA

kev is unsighted and twinning but manages to get out the way

I have had Jim from Crail on the phone, he is somewhat unhappy about some of the comments on this thread, and we clarified a few things.
    First off i can now clarify that we are able to drift the back corner, just not the 1/4 straight, which is basically what i was doing, and which i believe everyone was adhering to anyway, except one particular yellow blob.....

Secondly, anyone who initiates any violence, no matter how justified will be banned from Crail forever.

Crail staff will be enforcing the no alcohol or drugs rule from now on, and that is for anyone who enters Crail, not just drivers.

The Barriers are there to keep the crowd back, but it is ultimately up to yourself to decide whats safe for you, if you do not feel safe beside the barriers, then stand back enough of a distance that you do feel safe, i for one do not want to loose more of the pits area, to accommodate a larger separation.
    To be honest the crowd tend to like being so close to the action, which is why so many stand there.

Think i covered everything.

Munkul, i have previously crashed into the tyres because i didnt want to risk possibly making contact with another vehicle with exactly the same situation as we had mate, even the same corner, which is why i just drove round.
    Jeesus, Kieran put up a video of me to show what TO DO

I did drift round a couple of cars that had spun out, but only with me at one side of the track and them at the other, to do it with a car in the center of the track, is just silly.
    Having watched the video, i agree with Kieran that the collision was completely avoidable, the bmw is heard to rev up after Gary spun, before they make contact, then again after contact.

Quote Originally Posted by j13-lek View Post
    again as I noticed when I came round the corner with a sbody super close to the back of me and I never even realised anyone gettin that close as well I spun a fair bit here n there lol and as much as I know im on a track and the risks etc. well say ill agree with lawson n say I wouldnt of been as calm!
    This was something i have been thinking about.
    I think there needs to be a way to identify easily who is
    A. Up for twinning
    B. Capable of twinning

Because at the moment we have situations where people are getting much closer than they should, and assuming that the other driver is ok with this.
    And similarly many people have commented after the days that they would have been happy to twin but didnt know how to communicate that.

I was thinking something like a 1 or 2 marked in white pen on the drivers side of the rear windscreen?
    Or a flash of the headlights from the follow car, or a straight, and the lead car either indicates left to say no, and the car should pass, or flash right to say yes, and twinning is a go?
    Thoughts?
    Im open to suggestions on this.

Kev
    Member no. 31 Project Purplyness
    CA19.5DET 390BHP

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    If ive ever not wanted to twin ive just pulled to the side and waved folk past.

Rides
    How about a different coloured handkerchief tied to the car to show what sort of twinning you're into?

Rides
    It's probably a good idea though, maybe a bit of both, simplest way could be to stick a cross on the back window, and if you're not up for it on a particular corner just indicate to the left to let the driver past.

Rides
    yeah I think there has to be something like what stu has suggested.
    Being a newbie at drifting Id crap my pants if I seen a yellow blob on my ass.
    Plus I wouldn't want to get in the way of proper drifters.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubix_Cube View Post
    If ive ever not wanted to twin ive just pulled to the side and waved folk past.
    That would seem wise. FRom what I can see, you guys have a lot more space than at Santa Pod for instance, shouldnt be too much of a chore just to slow down and let the guy behind past.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    if your going with a nmber system can we have a number 3 for "get the flaming hell away from me i dont wanna twin im a big jessy?"

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    I think a cross on the window for those whobare happy for twinning. Something clear and simple to see tbh.

Would it be better for you (Kev) to have a mini briefing at the start of the day?

Rides
    Im shocked by that video. Gary has NO fault in the accident. I would be rather angry if I were him. You can see Gary is clearly spinning 4 seconds before the crash happens. I too have been guilty of drifting round someone, but only ever round the very outside if someone has come to a stop at the centre of the track. If I see someone spinning I always just stop my drift and drive safely round. Saying that though, I have experience another BMW driving after coming to a rest at the centre of the track with me drifting the corner a good distance/time after begin to donut/180 towards me and continue driving.

As for twinning I agree a a mark could be put on the car if you are willing to have someone twin with you. Keep it simple though. Some sort of mark for Yes and nothing for no.

Rides
    Maybe we should have some 'rules of thumb' included in the briefing to make things more explicit, rather than relying on people to figure them out (and possibly cause an accident in the process). Like whatever twinning idea we settle on not to scare the crap about of beginners, and if a car spins in front of you and hasn't completely stopped, don't drift round it.
    Last edited by stu_; 11-04-2012 at 11:32.

Rides
    Like rubix said I normally pull over and let whoever by, but that's not for twinning, that's just so I'm not holding them up, I expect someone who I don't know not to get too close and 'twin'.

Although drifting along in a group of cars I'm fine with, its fun, twinning I see as deliberately trying to get as close as possible, bit different.

So I would say Nothing on your car for just the regular drifting we are used to, 'trains' cool but keeping obviously cautious, then whatever on your car for 'let's play'

And then your favorite gang signs, stickers, symbols if you only wanna get up close and personal with your buddies.
    Last edited by immy21; 11-04-2012 at 13:13.

Rides
    Easiest way about it would be some magnetic plate type things or a big square in a loud colour?

Writing wouldn't work I don't think

Rides
    Big white Cross on the window that says steer clear, im new!

Rides

Rides
    Kev - somehow i remembered the incident wrongly, i thought you both drifted round until I saw Kieron's video.... makes sense now

I think you should know the other driver and know that they are comfortable with it before twinning with them. Having said that, I was getting close to one of the black r32's (stinky or his mate?) cos i thought they were ok with it... similarly with Fallon and vice versa... but I would pull over if someone I didnt know was getting too close for comfort, and I'd expect anyone else to do the same? If this is the wrong attitude, please correct me!

In that video of the crash, I was in front and actually pulled over to let the bmw past, because I wasnt comfortable with him getting so close cos i had no idea who he was. Seems that it was a good idea

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    Kev - somehow i remembered the incident wrongly, i thought you both drifted round until I saw Kieron's video.... makes sense now
    it is easy to confuse kevs driving and drifting. they both involve his car being straight

Rides
    I spoke to everyone, we all agree you two need to stop flirting and just winch