Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: First SXOC Crail drift day of 2012, Sat 7th April

Rides
    Well, have had a quick look at my stills and vid. Quite happy really. It will be up on youtube soon (as in VERY soon). I will convert the pics and post some later on when I have a little time. And I really must improve my blagging skills (no passenger runs at all today, but one offer of unpaid work )

Rides
    Yes they did ban the 1/4 mile corner and they do moan people should respect their track by keeping it tidy and putting the tyres back when you hit them! But...... They moved all those horrible tyres in the middle of the straights and at the starts of the corners which was good

Also again thanks to kev and others who organise and deal with crail directly! You do an amazing job that I wouldn't like to do!

Rides
    Well my vid is up on the media thread

Rides
    i must say that if people know who the certain spectators were that decided the oval is a free for all please f@@k off as all it does is upset staff and eventually ruin it for everyone else

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirex View Post
    So can anyone point me in the direction of pics or vids from today? Preferably too if any of it is footage of myself it would be much appreciated

Near the end when I was over on the oval, there was a red sx with someone filming from the car. When it was my turn I noticed them out the car and kinda hoped they got some shots of me before I cocked it all up n ended up backwards into the tyres

And that old boy in the van needs his P45 or a change of job. What a miserable old git, he did nothing but moan at everyone for daft things.
    dude thts willys right hand man dont hink theres much chance of him gettin his p45 lol uve jst got to know how to talk to him cause at the end of the day what he says goes

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by adam525 View Post
    dude thts willys right hand man dont hink theres much chance of him gettin his p45 lol uve jst got to know how to talk to him cause at the end of the day what he says goes
    I know man, was just a little pissed that he banned me from the big track for a couple of daft wee things, I never hit anything other than a few tires...... Any tires I hit, I parked, got out and helped to fix. I think he was a bit harsh on his judgement, banning me tbh.............. BUT hey, who cares. I still got to go on the oval for some practice (after the staff ejected the guy sitting in the middle of it, on his bloody phone for 20mins). hopefully next time I will be in a car of my own so I will feel less worried about bending it lol.

Rides
    Litter wise I was the last person there and the place was spotless so cleared up well? There's going to be litter when there's spectators like that on a windy day, but a couple more bins wouldn't have went a miss. (I used my van as a bin)

I got a stern slap on the wrists for drifting through the start line, although explained to him that i missed the briefing and in my defence i asked the lass at sign on twice but i thought she was talking about the top end of the 1/4 mile straight. :S lost in translation that one. :P didn't do it again and heard nothing of it. Missed the briefing twice now by half an hour or so, really must get up there earlier although 40mph avg speed cameras made it a.4hour drive.

overall really enjoyed the day and destroyed all my tyres, tyre changing guy was great, went home with more tyres than i came with. much better organised than Teesside days, cheaper and you can twin drift! clutch was ****ed though so didn't feel totally confident following anyone.

Cheers
    Last edited by Ian200sx; 08-04-2012 at 04:18.

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    I know man, was just a little pissed that he banned me from the big track for a couple of daft wee things, I never hit anything other than a few tires...... Any tires I hit, I parked, got out and helped to fix. I think he was a bit harsh on his judgement, banning me tbh.............. BUT hey, who cares. I still got to go on the oval for some practice (after the staff ejected the guy sitting in the middle of it, on his bloody phone for 20mins). hopefully next time I will be in a car of my own so I will feel less worried about bending it lol.
    If you ever feel you are treated unfairly in future come speak to us at the bbq or if you catch kev ( purple s13) in the pits speak to him.

Rides
    fudi, post a link to your pictures in the media thread for the day please.

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    While i remember who was the bmw that decided to rolling burnouts on the track?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubix_Cube View Post
    one of the white e30's

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_e1 View Post
    one of the white e30's
    Yup yup!

Rides
    wasnt that one of the e30s? was it the white one or the white one with the 3 stripes on the bonnet? i was up the arse end of the pits when that happened

Rides
    wasny me a drive the 1 with the stripes

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by fudi View Post

really sucks watching all the time dunno how keiran can do it
    LOL
    Love it
    Member no. 31 Project Purplyness
    CA19.5DET 390BHP

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by fudi View Post

really sucks watching all the time dunno how keiran can do it
    it's pretty easy really at crail, no technical challenge. now teesside , that gives me itchy feet lol

Rides
    Nothing challenging at all at Crail is there, especially not missing concrete filled truck tyres...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chavbo View Post
    Nothing challenging at all at Crail is there, especially not missing concrete filled truck tyres...
    you missed the critical word ****bo , technically challenging. making a **** of it is one thing

Rides
    Ok, ill get the bad stuff out of the way first.

If you ever feel you are treated unfairly in future come speak to us at the bbq or if you catch kev ( purple s13) in the pits speak to him.
    In general id agree with Rubix there, but to be perfectly honest with you Nirex i agreed completely with him punting you off the big track, you were in need of calming down.
    I still cannot fathom how you managed to hit the tyres just before corner 4 (taking the corner at the end of the 1/4 mile straight as corner 1) and head on at that, after 2-300 yards of straight track after corner 3.

Jim, the "grumpy guy" who is in charge of all the marshalls had already spoken to me twice during the day about your driving, and the fact he wanted you off.
    I reasoned with him that it was perhaps your first day, and thats why your driving was so erratic, that you were getting a feel for the car, and he agreed you could stay on, and he would just tell you to cool it.

But after i passed you when you had smacked head on into those tyres i knew Jim was defo gonna send you off, and when he came to tell me he had punted you off i agreed with him, and to be honest i was surprised he was ok with you using the oval.
    Again when i drove to the toilet, i noted you in the tyres in the center of the oval.
    It concerns me that you say you would be less worried about bending it in future, as that would make me think your driving yesterday was calm

No-one can say they havent made mistakes, spun out or hit things, and i absolutely include myself in that (i had a spin or two yesterday also, but always in the middle of the track), however generally when you do that you take it as a sign you were pushing too hard and back off a bit, or at least stay away from the sides of the track.

If you do come to the next drift day (June 2nd) then i would suggest you get someone who has been doing it a while to get in with you and give you a few tips, cos Jim now has you marked in his mind as a potential danger, and so will watch you closely next time, and after the warnings of yesterday he wont hesitate to ban you from crail full stop if he feels your ignoring what he tells you again.

Yeah whoever that was, please dont in future, it just causes hassle, and pisses off the staff, and its me that gets it in the neck.

It was a pisser for Gary DOT to get smacked up so badly in the early stages of the day.
    The general consensus from those that seen it was that gary got a bit out of shape but stopped without injury, and the red beemer was a bit too hot and a bit too close to avoid the collision.
    I really cant blame the red beemer driver as i didnt see it, but i also have had some real near misses, and some bumps because i have been in too hot or too close, or someone else has, its a shame, and likely the advice would be to leave a good gap between you and the car in front, but then i dont take that advice myself, so i certainly wouldnt push it on anyone else.
    Just gotta chalk it up to "these things happen"

Finally the litter and cars.
    These days have been running for the last 2-3 years, and have gone from 40-50 odd cars, (35 running and the others as support vehicles) and 50-60 folk to most times over 70 cars and over 100 people.
    That in itself is not a problem, as long as everyone realises the priority is the people who have paid to be on track, and basic respect is given.
    But the reality is that as the numbers increase, the consideration and respect goes down, and we have more and more spectator cars in the pits.
    I had to park in 5 different places yesterday due to the fact someone was parked beside my tools and kit.
    Each time it was another drifter which wasnt a problem as such, but they were parked in my spot because someone else was parked in theirs.
    When the geordie lads came up they had to pitch up in the middle of the area due to their being no-where left, and thats just not right!

The second part of this is the litter, which has been getting steadily worse.
    Now to be fair there was a lack of bins in general yesterday, but the point Jim made to me was when he walked from the oval to the track picking up litter, he had enough to half fill a rather large bin bag, and this was outside the pit area, so it wasnt the drifters, but the spectators.
    So from his point of view he was getting extra work for no more money...... you see where this is going???
    Crail want spectators to pay.
    I dont, i quite like the fact its a social gathering, i had a few of my mates come up yesterday to jump in for passenger runs, and so id much rather it remained free to spectators, but there is only so many times i can have the conversation with crail before they just enforce it.

So basically everyone needs to make sure all spectators park outside the pits and collect and bin all their litter, or spectators will start being charged for attendance.

I would suggest anyone who has trailers can leave them and the tow vehicles in the pits as long as they are up the back, but support vehicles should come into the pits to drop off the tools etc, but must then exit the pits to allow the drift cars to park up.

That way its clear to everyone that the vehicles there should only be the drift cars or very obvious tow vehicles, no question over the other vehicles being support or spectators.

Ok now all the bad is out of the way....
    The day went really well, only a couple of issues with people Jim felt strong enough to bring to my attention, which makes it a good day.

The standard of driving in general was very good, and many many tyres were shredded, and that was just thehat
    Weather held out, food was good, a couple of unexpected visitors, and a fair amount of twinning with no damage.

There was plenty of video footage and pictures taken, and the pics and vids ive seen so far have been great.

All in all a great day, lets hope the next one is just as good.

Ill be sticking a thread up soon for the next day, which will be Saturday the 2nd of June
    Member no. 31 Project Purplyness
    CA19.5DET 390BHP

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Millar47 View Post
    fudi, post a link to your pictures in the media thread for the day please.
    nope if you look at the times i was first and jonny mac is a knob who cant read

agree, that boy was very very lucky jim was away to kick off big style when you did it you may have also noticed that when you did it every photographer put their camera down cause we're not interested - bellend manouvre everyone spins everyones done a burnout, you took it too far

When i got a lift back from Jim from the other side of the field you were on the oval, he told me the whole story with yourself and i fully agreed and told him it was good that him and the other marshalls were taking note of how people were actually driving on the track not just their behaviour, i was also out with John Fallon and we both agreed that bailing out mid corner and driving around you was the safest option as we had no idea what you were trying to use for a line, Kevs advice above is best get someone out to show you the general lines etc

Must apologise Kev at a few of these i have offered to 'police' the pit area with regards to extra vehicles this time by the time i realised it was kinda too late and it was pandemonium, and does show that it should only be skid cars and tyres/tools in pits. (i know i was guilty of this as well but i was support for hat and GDot)