Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Servicing costs - why do they differ so much!?

Rides

Servicing costs - why do they differ so much!?

Ok, so the 182 has just ticked 38k, and although it's had the mega-expensive 36k cambelt/aux belt change last year, it needs the rest of the 36k bits doing, I want to maintain a full stamped book of service for resale time

So I have 2 main dealers near by. I ring number 1, and get giving a price of £124.99 for oil/filter and car check (which seems steep), and an additional £49.99 for brake fluid & coolant change, which isn't so awfu.

I then ring number 2, get told he needs to check prices, and gets back to me with £183.68 for basic service, then when I asked about brake fluid/coolant, he said £98.92 for brake fluid change () and £65.45 for coolant change when I said this was ridiculous and nothing like dealer number 1, I get the "I'm just reading if off the screen". End of call pretty much.

What's going on!? Are people having a giraffe?

So does £174.96 seem reasonable for motor oil (fully synth)/brake/coolant change, and suspension/bush/brake check etc?

I know I can do it myself for considerably less, but it's the stamp I need really and if I'm honest, I just can't be assed!

Also, what should I be paying, roughly, for re-gassing the air-con?

Rides
    When you add up all the cost of dealer services does it come to less then what it would have cost you in the deprciation hit as if you had of done it yourself and sold it with part history? Its an old car anyway, surely when you resell it won't effect the price more then £500? And you'll save £500 from jsut doing 2 or 3 services on your own.

Rides
    Because they can charge whatever hourly rate they want.

Rides
    If you want the book stamped then go to a local independant

Personally I would do it myself and keep all receipts to prove its been done. FSH means fook all IMO but then I know what idiots work at Main Dealers
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    FSH still means a lot to your average buyer.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_83 View Post
    When you add up all the cost of dealer services does it come to less then what it would have cost you in the deprciation hit as if you had of done it yourself and sold it with part history? Its an old car anyway, surely when you resell it won't effect the price more then £500? And you'll save £500 from jsut doing 2 or 3 services on your own.
    I did think about this - it's just the prices are falling, and you need to stand out from the crowd as much as possible with one of these. The mileage and condition are both on my side, if I can back that up with a full history (realistically, who bothers to get the brake fluid changed every 4 years!?), it may help me get reasonable money back.

The biggest part of all of this (and the main reason I'm doing it), is I need the ABS unit bleeding, which you can only do at a dealer as it needs plugging in - they want £80 JUST to do that job, so I'm hoping (with some persuasion), they will do it once they've flushed fresh fluid through, as part of the overall cost.

I've never paid to have a car serviced, always done it myself, so just have no idea of what price is a reasonable price

Rides
    why do you need the ABS bleeding? it's only an issue if the system is allowed to be drained. It's nonsense to think that only a main dealer can do this. You just need CLIP, something I'm in the process of investing in.

For reference, I'd charge £140 for ELF oil, genuine oil, air and pollen filters, and a general inspection. £50 for bleeding the brakes, and £50 for a coolant change with Genuine pre-mixed type D (£12 per 5 litres)

Rides
    I did let the brake fluid drain accidently, and after hideous amounts of bleeding, and it being totally air free, my only conclusion is there is air in the ABS unit. I have no real need (other than this once) for a CLIP.

Going on your prices, it seems what I may pay is about right

Rides
    By your location, give Carlton Garage in Exmouth a call.

I didn't say you needed a CLIP, i said you needed to go to someone with one

Rides
    oh and a little trick to sort the ABS out. Drive along on gravel/mud and make the ABS trigger, the bleed it again. Repeat this a few times and you'll have all the air out of your ABS

Rides
    I was amazed at the price and quality of work from a main dealers. So make sure you check the work.

I always have a service plan on my new cars as its much much cheaper. The audi costs anywhere from £800-£4000 depending on whats done but with a service pack you just pay one price for 3 years

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideways Danny View Post
    By your location, give Carlton Garage in Exmouth a call.

I didn't say you needed a CLIP, i said you needed to go to someone with one
    Return trip to Exmouth is a tank of fuel

oh and a little trick to sort the ABS out. Drive along on gravel/mud and make the ABS trigger, the bleed it again. Repeat this a few times and you'll have all the air out of your ABS
    Tried it. Whilst it helped a little, there's still air in it

Rides
    right, you've had the correct advice anyway. A tank of fuel in exchange for piece of mind? Whatever

Rides
    right, you've had the correct advice anyway. A tank of fuel in exchange for piece of mind? Whatever
    reminder - you're meant to save that sort of sarcasm for the clio forum

Appreciate the advice, but if I need to drive 220 miles for someone to do a decent job of an oil change, something is wrong with the world

Rides
    hang on.....220 miles is a tank of fuel??? PMSL who did your cambelt? stevie wonder?

Rides

Rides
    Renault fit braille cambelts nowadays. Even Stevie Wonder can count the bumps on them.

Rides
    In reality both dealers sould be charging the same price as its the Manufacturer who sets the hourly rate to franchised main dealers as part of their Business Guidelines. Dealer 1 has probably taken the time to ask workshop foreman how long and got correct parts price whereas dealer 2 just aint got a clue and just using what sounds like a out of date pricing screen similiar to what I use. My advice as a member and not as a employee of a main dealer would be to go to reputable local garage, they will be cheaper, most of the techs at local garages used to work for dealers anyways and they can stamp your book, yeah it wont have a diamond badge on it but its a stamp non the less.

Rides
    I work in an independent garage and after having cars come straight from the main dealer to us iv been pretty shocked at the quality of the work and lies they all tell, working for bonus meaning their nailing the car for things it doesn't need, I had an 06 Astra in just been recalled for horn fault they done a health check on it and nailed it for rear discs and pads, a tyre a bottom arm and anti roll bar links. Put it on the ramp and checked all an carried out a brake test sfa wrong so there's something to bear in mind, never mind the hourly rate at around 70 quid.

Rides
    Just to point out though, not all main dealers are the same in terms of quality of workmanship, theere are some proper top class ones out there