Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever got an Austrian speeding ticket?

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides

Ever got an Austrian speeding ticket?

Coz I just have

Went over on a trip in early December and hired a car, drove from Innsbruck to Ljubljana over the Alps on one day - it was amazing, really, really twisty roads, beautiful scenery, no other traffic, absolute bliss.

Was going through one town and saw the no speed limit sign about 200yds up the road, so put my toe down a bit (you couldnt get above about 50mph outside of the towns anyway) and promptly got flashed very shortly before I left the village. I was like WHA ......???!! - there were no houses, no people, I hadnt seen a car in about 10 minutes and I was 1/2 second from being out of the town, the bastards.
    Its also the only time Ive been caught speeding

Anyway, Q is, what happens now and what do I do?The letter I got was from the hire car company, but I have a feeling Heinrich Law will be in touch before too long and I aint spending another Christmas in chokey
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Slightly off topic but what car did you go for in the end ? I remember seeing the "What car" thread.

Rides
    http://www.pepipoo.com/ - They will know.

Rides
    my mate got one in similar circumstances a few years back, he ignored the letter. The hire car company took the money from his credit card.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Slightly off topic but what car did you go for in the end ? I remember seeing the "What car" thread.
    I went for the E Class, but when I got there they didnt have any so ended up with a 50km old automagic C200 Diesel, and was gutted, particularly as the Bimmers were 320d's

However, it was excellent - really nice place to be, quick enough to see 130ish on the Autobahns and handled well enough to have some fun on the mountain roads, although I did end up having to use the gears as the brakes kinda overheated - Im uploading a video that gives some idea of the amazing roadage, it really was easily the best drive of my life through those mountains though
    Id have one as a company car and be happy with it I think, but the Bimmer would be the preference as its a bit more composed, a bit more "sporty" I suppose

Going back with something out of my fleet once the snow has cleared though, still cant get over those roads
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    I went for the E Class, but when I got there they didnt have any so ended up with a 50km old automagic C200 Diesel, and was gutted, particularly as the Bimmers were 320d's
    If you'd gone for the Bimmer they would have been out of them and given you a 1986 316i with 200K on the clock

Still, if you had fun, I guess you could view the fine as fun tax I suppose. Is it going to be big bucks ?

Rides
    If you plan on going back and driving around you might need to pay the ticket.

If you were just on holiday or something I'd say **** it off, it's not enforcable in this country.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3k1355 View Post
    If you plan on going back and driving around you might need to pay the ticket.

If you were just on holiday or something I'd say **** it off, it's not enforcable in this country.
    except the hire car people will get made to pay and they have his credit card details

I'd give the hire car company a call and see what can be done. It might be cheaper if you pay it quick.

Rides
    A quick call to the credit card company will reverse any charge they try to make on the credit card

Rides
    cancel the card and say you have lost it. they wont get any money off it then
    and ignore it
    me and a mate went to the ring a few years back and i got 11 camers to flash me in my car, he got 6 to flash him in his hire car (vectra estate!) he had 6 letters, ignored them all and never herd a thing, i never got one letter!

Rides
    ooops... I too only have one speeding ticket to my name, that was in China, suspect it may have been a little cheaper than the one your getting though

Rides
    Call up your bank and tell them you've lost your credit card and you need a new one. Then they can't put the payment through on the old one .

Rides
    Would be a business expense anyway, as I was on business

Will check Pepipoo and might call the hire company as well, will give false name and address next time

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    Call up your bank and tell them you've lost your credit card and you need a new one. Then they can't put the payment through on the old one .
    my mate did that, somehow the payment still got taken from his credit card account. (don't ask me how)

Rides

Rides
    Going away with a car club arranged by a car touring company in the summer. In the paperwork it says just pay tickets don't try to be clever as can be more hassle and if you do return at a later date you can be arrested for unpaid fines I'm only going by paperwork tho.

I say just pay it you have already admitted you was speeding

ps Shame you didn't have the C250 petrol Its a really fun car

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3k1355 View Post
    A quick call to the credit card company will reverse any charge they try to make on the credit card
    Car hire agreements (which you sign) usually have a clause which allows them to take admin payments for parking/speeding fines etc. The charge is therefore likely to be authorised by Docwra as part of the hire agreement.

Rides
    Well, got the NIP through today and the bastards want EUR 100! I still think the camera wasnt in a reaosnable place but dont fancy my chances of arguing that

Have joined pepipoo but cant find any useful information, also cant post a new topic, anyone any ideas why??

Rides
    Sorry to hear you got flashed They do have some nice roads in Austria and ours near Austria aren't that bad either
    Too bad i didn't drive around much in December as i'm from Ljubljana, maybe you could have seen one of three s14as in the country

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by igralec View Post
    Sorry to hear you got flashed They do have some nice roads in Austria and ours near Austria aren't that bad either
    Too bad i didn't drive around much in December as i'm from Ljubljana, maybe you could have seen one of three s14as in the country
    Funnily enough my best day was Innsbruck to Ljubljana, more specifically Brnik - I provide all of the contract staff to Adria Airways and Solinair who are both based there. Ill probably be over in the next 4 weeks, but Im planning on driving one of my proper cars through the Alps later this year too - business trip expenses FTW

The thing that annoyed me is that I was keeping to the limits through the towns and villages, I honestly thought I had left the town here as there were no houses and no people about. Bastards.