Thread: Strangest place a sat nav has taken you?

Rides

Strangest place a sat nav has taken you?

My C-class sat nav was pretty wild but The E-class takes you the oddest ways ever but normally gets you there.

This happened tonight in the dark.

So a family member has brought moed house didn't have a clue where it was so put the postcode in and set off.

Took me on main roads till it says turn on to a lane started off ok then the lane was just about wide enough for the car so after a few left and rights. At this point I have no idea where I am. It says turn right so I turn right into a two way road no sign posts or anything just a 2 way road so I drive down over a speed bump or two. The car is saying 2 miles to go I drive past 2 police style cars coming the other way. The next I see these signs 1 on each side of the road with "you are entering a government facility" and something about having your ID ready. So shitting myself I stop the nav is says carry on looks like its a straight road and a car come up behind me so I'm forced to carry on go about another 500 yards come around a corner still no where to turn around and I can see those booths with barriers and a freaking sign saying H.M.P prison in big letters. Needles to say I had to drive up to the barrier and explain what had happened. They didn't see the funny side and I was so ashamed. I fell victim to the sat nav

I have to be fair to the sat nav if the guards would let you drive through it is a straight through road I went in the back way

So has anyone had this?

Rides
    Yes once, it tried took me down a small road like you described, but I took one look at it and thought "nah" so carried on down the main road.

Rides
    One time, I was using a sat nav (Garmin app on my N95) to take me to pick up a car.

It took me off the motorway, round in a massive loop, then back on the motorway. At the same junction it told me to leave it

Rides
    When going to Alton Towers, my Sat Nav takes us through a tiny lane through the center of a field. It's great, since we skip all the traffic jams/queues leading up to the gates

Rides
    When I first drove us back to visit the wife parents in Stoke on Trent, the sat nav took us straight up the motorway in exactly the route I'd expect it to.

Stoke on Trent is still the strangest place I've ever been

Rides
    I was going to Leisure Lakes motorcross track once, the Sat Nav decided to take me in to a farm, with only 1 entrance, then directed me down the farm owners drive. Apparently it happens all the time, he kindly directed me where to go and how to get where I wanted to go. The Sat Nav actually thought I had arrived at my destination, but it was actually about 2 miles down the road

Rides
    In Cherbourg my N95 with Route66 took me from one road, through a car park, onto the other road it wanted, that's about as odd as mine have been, and I use them to go everywhere thanks to them removing any sense of direction I may have once had.

Rides
    I was following a Satnav in a works van to get to some place just inside the m25, but unknown to myself, someone had decided to set it to get to the destination whilst avoiding motorways wherever possible. (a useful function )
    As I didn't know the way to my destination, I blindly followed the directions, passing under and over the M3 and M25 at least 4 times, thinking, 'this is a bit odd'
    Only took me twice as long as it should, and I did find out that Transits cope quite well with rutted farm tracks.

Rides
    In a stellar display of common sense, my GF pushed the "home" button when she was leaving London with her mum. Little did she know, it was set to our uni house, rather than our MK house. They got half way to Portsmouth before realising their mistake

Rides
    Dickens Heath. It's fcuking odd.

Rides
    There's a section of toll roads in South East France which sends a sat nav into a spacker........it sent me off the motorway, around through a toll.....back on the motorway through the next toll then back off the next exit to the toll I had just been through.......this continues until you ignore it but for 8 miles furthur down the motorway she keeps saying make a U turn as she wants you to keep doing circles! I wasted about 30 euros on toll charges thanks to her!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Just Googled it. Talk about soulless! (And that's coming from an MK resident! )

Watfor(d), but now temp in Stutton, Zuffuk..., then temp in Armitage (Bog centre of the world)... then FINNNALY to Quarry Bonk, Brum!! puff puff.
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    One time, I was using a sat nav (Garmin app on my N95) to take me to pick up a car.

It took me off the motorway, round in a massive loop, then back on the motorway. At the same junction it told me to leave it
    Approximately 50% of the time on the same journey, an old Garmin Navi used to tell me when heading north east, to leave the A12 at the Copdock/Ipswich junction, drive up the slip road, over the above carriageway roundabout, & down the slip road back onto the same A12....? One day, rather than ignoring it, I took its advice just hoping it would in some way explain why it did so. It didn't.

My TomTom app on my phone has never asked me to have such fun, but hearing it try & say "Dudley" is always a pleasure.

R.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    I was apparently on the A21, just past Paris on the way to the Weekenderfest last year
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Thats like 2 mins from my place its the biggest maze in england.

On a good note I got a free nav update been told it should work better, My balls will it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by retardrift View Post
    There's a section of toll roads in South East France which sends a sat nav into a spacker........it sent me off the motorway, around through a toll.....back on the motorway through the next toll then back off the next exit to the toll I had just been through.......this continues until you ignore it but for 8 miles furthur down the motorway she keeps saying make a U turn as she wants you to keep doing circles! I wasted about 30 euros on toll charges thanks to her!
    This happened to me coming back through France the other week, everything was ok after coming through Monte Blanc but as soon as I got near Geneva it kep making me go in circles through the tolls.

Rides
    My old car was a pain sometimes even though it was a super advanced system.
    1) It couldn't find the north of scotland you put in a destination and it said it couldn't calculate a route. Eventually sussed it was a bug and told Nissan. All cars with the same system had the problem as I tried a Navara in a garage to prove to them it was pants.

2) in France it kept sending us down single track country roads. One minute it was on a main route bombing along the next you would be on a wild goose chase thru the countryside. I eventually figured out it was cutting corners on major roads, but cos it thought the tiny road was the same speed limit as the main road it was taking us down them.

3) South wales to Glasgow - wanted to take me to Ireland from Fishgard and then over to stranraer. Good job I always check the routes before I let it talke me.