Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 142

Thread: Bonuses - What do people think?

  1. #121
    Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    ken is still God
    Posts
    35,075
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    In the circumstances, it's not a great time to be advocating capitalism either TBH
    What, "get on your bike and find a job" type capitalism? Id say its a damn sight better than "wait for the country to save us" socialism. And before anyone says it, Enoch Powell is NOT my hero

    Neither system works without the checks and balances required to ensure moderation. It’d be nice to think we’ve learnt that lesson but I imagine the same was said in the 1930’s.
    Sadly, I have a feeling you might be right
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

  2. #122
    Engine Builder Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Bas Vegas
    Posts
    93,162
    Rides
    0
    Some bloke on the news last night said 'Capitalism is a bad system................... But its the best one out the lot of them'

    So it looks like someone needs to think up a new system
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

  3. #123
    Guest
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Bristol again ...
    Posts
    30,367
    Rides
    0
    capitalism is only a bad system if you are at the bottom of pile and not well off ...... but then so is Socialism and Communism

    The difference is with Capitalism there is a way to better yourself .... with Communism and Socialism you kept poor by the powers above you so they can stay rich

  4. #124
    Guest Asht_200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    ashflix.com
    Posts
    22,433
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_e1 View Post
    If warren buffet went under then the ramifications would be globally horrific.

    Probably gatestoo but that's never.gonna happen.
    You do realise who's the 2nd largest shareholder of Buffet's investment vehicle?

  5. #125
    Guest Asht_200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    ashflix.com
    Posts
    22,433
    Rides
    0
    To be fair with regards to pensions, when they took the job it was part of their contractual package, which is then taken away... I understand why they are pissed off... seriously why differentiate between 2 contractual obligations?

    And it wasn't difficult to manage your pension fund to ensure it got a decent return even through the bad times...

    Personally I think he should have kept the bonus... if he is turning around RBS... I don't believe in politicians meddling with City bonus culture, I certainly don't agree with employees on remuneration committees for a private company. Shareholders should be the only ones who determine what the people who work for them get paid.

    The real reason the economy collapsed was because everyone wanted cheap credit... There was a demand an the banks supplied - yes they should have been more careful who they lent to, but then on the other hand, people shouldn't have lied about what they earned in order to get even more credit...

    As for Socialism, name one Socialist Country that is equal and where "Everyone" prospers.

  6. #126
    Guest Jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Breeeeeestol
    Posts
    11,478
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    What, "get on your bike and find a job" type capitalism? Id say its a damn sight better than "wait for the country to save us" socialism. And before anyone says it, Enoch Powell is NOT my hero
    Capitalism worked until someone removed all of the capital from the system

  7. #127
    Guest
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Bristol again ...
    Posts
    30,367
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by AshT_200 View Post
    To be fair with regards to pensions, when they took the job it was part of their contractual package, which is then taken away... I understand why they are pissed off... seriously why differentiate between 2 contractual obligations?
    because the governemt took away the pension package from workers that IT employs ...... thats fair enough, the government employ teachers, bin men, council workers etc .... if the Government feel it necessary to cut bonuses or pernsions from its staff because it cant afford to pay them, then fair enough

    however the government dont employ bank managers, the bank does and if the bank feels it can afford to pay the bonus and the bank wants to pay the bonus, then the bank should pay the bonus, it should have nothing to do with the Government

  8. #128
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    7,705
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    because the governemt took away the pension package from workers that IT employs ...... thats fair enough, the government employ teachers, bin men, council workers etc .... if the Government feel it necessary to cut bonuses or pernsions from its staff because it cant afford to pay them, then fair enough

    however the government dont employ bank managers, the bank does and if the bank feels it can afford to pay the bonus and the bank wants to pay the bonus, then the bank should pay the bonus, it should have nothing to do with the Government
    what?? RBS is 84% government owned

  9. #129
    Guest
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Bristol again ...
    Posts
    30,367
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Prior View Post
    what?? RBS is 84% government owned
    owns, doesnt run .. they said they werent going to take an active seat in bank descisions due to inapropriateness .... legally they might own the majority, but in reality its just a prop up loan

    Yes they "could" over ride it, but the government owning the banks isnt a precident that anyone wants to happen

  10. #130
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    7,705
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    owns, doesnt run .. they said they werent going to take an active seat in bank descisions due to inapropriateness .... legally they might own the majority, but in reality its just a prop up loan

    Yes they "could" over ride it, but the government owning the banks isnt a precident that anyone wants to happen
    But your original point was the bank employs bank managers, it doesnt, the government does. Any single shareholder with over 75% of the shares can pretty much do whatever they like within that company. Employ whoever they want (Hestor was appointed by the government afterall) sack directors etc.

    The rights and wrongs over whether the government should intervene is irrelevant. The fact is RBS took the bail out and until they buy back control they have a new master.

  11. #131
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Helston, West Cornwall
    Posts
    24,413
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Prior View Post
    But your original point was the bank employs bank managers, it doesnt, the government does. Any single shareholder with over 75% of the shares can pretty much do whatever they like within that company. Employ whoever they want (Hestor was appointed by the government afterall) sack directors etc.

    The rights and wrongs over whether the government should intervene is irrelevant. The fact is RBS took the bail out and until they buy back control they have a new master.
    It doesn't mean they have the right, morally or legally, to apply so much pressure that an employee doesn't take 50% of his paycheck.

    Personally, I think he'll walk and they won't be able to replace him with anyone of the same calibre and the share price will suffer as a result, ultimately hurting the owners

  12. #132
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    7,705
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    It doesn't mean they have the right, morally or legally, to apply so much pressure that an employee doesn't take 50% of his paycheck.

    Personally, I think he'll walk and they won't be able to replace him with anyone of the same calibre and the share price will suffer as a result, ultimately hurting the owners
    It happens day in day out across the world with hostile takeovers and asset stripping. Its the way of business. The business world is noticebly absent of legalities and morals.

    As ive already said IMO Hestor should have took his bonus. All credit to him that he worried about his reputation enough to have turned it down and it says alot to me about the calibre of the man. But RBS made the deal with the devil by taking the money and they are niave to think there was never going to be interference from the government/media/public.

  13. #133
    Guest Jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Breeeeeestol
    Posts
    11,478
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    ultimately hurting the owners
    Trouble is the politicians are naturally going to be more concerned about winning votes than they are managing a bank for profit / share price. The decision made not to pay Hester his bonus proves that.

  14. #134
    I <3 BBS LM Actual_Ben_Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    23,603
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Prior View Post
    But your original point was the bank employs bank managers, it doesnt, the government does. Any single shareholder with over 75% of the shares can pretty much do whatever they like within that company. Employ whoever they want (Hestor was appointed by the government afterall) sack directors etc.

    The rights and wrongs over whether the government should intervene is irrelevant. The fact is RBS took the bail out and until they buy back control they have a new master.
    UK Financial Investments Limited who manage RBS for the government only have 75% voting rights, so they can't make all the decisions in that way.

  15. #135
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    7,705
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    UK Financial Investments Limited who manage RBS for the government only have 75% voting rights, so they can't make all the decisions in that way.
    That was put in place to retain RBS on the listings for the London Stock Exchange. They still wield ultimate power and it would take a court ruling under the unfair prejudice weighted votes rights to stop any changes they wanted to make.

  16. #136
    Member alanjuggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    manchester
    Posts
    9,942
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Personally, I think he'll walk and they won't be able to replace him with anyone of the same calibre and the share price will suffer as a result, ultimately hurting the owners
    that was pretty much my first thought - though it has confirmed to me that Ed Milliband is completely unelectable.

    They missed a trick not putting D Milliband in the leader's post - his piece in the new statesman was actually rather good.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

    current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

  17. #137
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    7,705
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by alanjuggler View Post
    They missed a trick not putting D Milliband in the leader's post - his piece in the new statesman was actually rather good.
    He also looks and sounds like a potential leader, if slightly bland. Ed looks and sounds like somebody from the Office.

  18. #138
    Banned sideways14a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Drunk as usual
    Posts
    34,697
    Rides
    0
    Ed is a complete mong, his use of oxygen on this planet robs more intelligent life (like earthworms and earwigs) of a chance.

  19. #139
    Engine Builder Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Bas Vegas
    Posts
    93,162
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by alanjuggler View Post
    They missed a trick not putting D Milliband in the leader's post - his piece in the new statesman was actually rather good.

    The unions got their way on that one as they thought Ed would be easier to bully. They got a bit of a shock the other week when he basically told them to fook off
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

  20. #140
    Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    ken is still God
    Posts
    35,075
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Prior View Post
    He also looks and sounds like a potential leader, if slightly bland. Ed looks and sounds like somebody from the Office.
    To this day still cant believe they made that decision - Dave is a born politico, good speaker, looks the part, comes across as a nice guy, almost like a real life Blair. Ed appears to have had some accident at birth or in early childhood, the only good thing with him is that I wont have to consider policies or anything to decide where my vote goes next time as there is no way Id elect that man to represent my country, even if he was offering 1000 to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •