Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wilwoods - experiences/opinions

Rides

wilwoods - experiences/opinions

No hear say and conjecture, no "just buy xx"

I would like first hand experiences please

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Have them on mine and they are great. I have the 345mm kit from db power and for the money they'll be hard to beat they'll be even better once I've fitted my z32 rears as its even more noticeable that the standard rears are shite

Sprout has the same set up on his car also and Evilchap had nothing but good things to say about them after a track day they did last year
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    They are on the other half's Impreza and are great for the money

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Have them on mine and they are great. I have the 345mm kit from db power and for the money they'll be hard to beat they'll be even better once I've fitted my z32 rears as its even more noticeable that the standard rears are shite

Sprout has the same set up on his car also and Evilchap had nothing but good things to say about them after a track day they did last year
    have you got 17's or 18's

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Both I have some 17" Zeit-r's and my 18" rota Gtr-D's. Both fit
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Both I have some 17" Zeit-r's and my 18" rota Gtr-D's. Both fit
    Any chance of measuring the I.d. of your 17's please, interested in knowing what wheels I can fit with the 345's (I was only really considering the 330)

Should state I will be looking to get at least 5/6 trackdays in this ye plus the Weekender and ring trip

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Pretty sure they are 390mm but will double check. Got to go over to my lock up today so can double check then.

Rides
    MEL, just so you know.

I've seen a photo of the Enkei's you've got with some 356mm K-sports, tight fit but they do fit so a 345mm kit should be plenty of room on those.

Maybe Wilwood do the brake caliper templates like I got from K-Sport. You print them out, cut them out then put them inside the wheel and you can see the brake clearance then.

Rides
    I use them on my race car, the billet dynalite calipers. They are infamous for becoming a bit sticky through time and true to form I had to rebuild them this winter, saying that pistons and seals etc are readily available from here:-

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/index.php?cPath=562_973

Think I was about £150 for all new seals, pistons, bleed nipples and cotter pins. Pics on my project thread here:-

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...ical-CS/page19

I think they are good brakes and nice and light as well, may be a bit more durable on a road car as they'll probably not see the same abuse and will have a larger diameter also.

A better alternative is the Hi-Spec calipers (they''ll most likely do a direct replacement for the wilwoods in your size) but as expected these cost a bit more.

Hope this info (while not sx specific) proves of some use,

Dunc.
    Last edited by dunc; 27-01-2012 at 11:33.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    MEL, just so you know.

I've seen a photo of the Enkei's you've got with some 356mm K-sports, tight fit but they do fit so a 345mm kit should be plenty of room on those.

Maybe Wilwood do the brake caliper templates like I got from K-Sport. You print them out, cut them out then put them inside the wheel and you can see the brake clearance then.
    What size spaz?

Thanks dunc, I don't mind a rebuild every couple of years

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MEL View Post
    Any chance of measuring the I.d. of your 17's please, interested in knowing what wheels I can fit with the 345's (I was only really considering the 330)
    330mm kit is more than good enough. My 17's have an ID of 390-395mm but their is fair bit of clearance from what I remember. Think 390 should be enough

Rides
    The 330 kit fits fine behind my r33 gtr rims. Bit squeaky when cold on yellow stuffs but once you've hit them hard a couople of thimes and they heat up abit i can't fault my kit.

Rides
    Speak to Hugh Janus!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MEL View Post
    What size spaz?

Thanks dunc, I don't mind a rebuild every couple of years
    They were the 17" enkie's I was going to chat to you about possibly buying your enkie's so I could use them as track wheel .

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by dunc View Post
    They are infamous for becoming a bit sticky through time
    Thats what I found.
    My car came with Wilwood calipers when I bought it. They are very capable powerful calipers - built for a purpose. After a while I realised that they were probably too powerful for my car (stage 2 s13) as I only drive on the road never track.
    They certainly had the capability to lock up the wheels easily during heavy braking. Unfortunately that gets a bit scary when they then stick and stay locked up on one side despite releasing brake pedal pressure!
    Eventually I ended up switching to S14 calipers which are more than adequate for my car. It was getting annoying having to regulalry maintain the sticky Wilwoods, plus a bit too exciting wondering when they'd stick next, but if applied to a track car and rebuilt after every few runs, they do perform very well when they're not sticking.
    Last edited by Revver; 29-01-2012 at 10:54. Reason: tidy up

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    This is the first i'm hearing of sticking calipers. I know people who have used them for years with no issues to the best of my knowledge

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    They were the 17" enkie's I was going to chat to you about possibly buying your enkie's so I could use them as track wheel .
    They cant be repaired just incase you missed my project thread update

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Speak to Hugh Janus!
    Thought he would have posted tbh, will drop him a pm

Rides
    Anymore?

Seems there are 2 options open to me atm, both of which cost about the same

The wilwood 330 kit or a full GTR brembo setup. The wilwood kit obviously doesn't do anything about the rears whereas the brembo option does - this means I can sell my rear set up to recoup more of the outlay

Decisions

Rides
    Or KSports