Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RB swaps. Who has them?

Rides

RB swaps. Who has them?

Hey guys
    Recently joined this forum and we are thinking about becoming a trader. Before that though, we would be curious to know how mnay people have done RB series swaps into their S-chassis and if you would be interested in a new harness setup that is pre-made and plus & play.

For the UK market, we would only have RB harnesses available right now since you already have the SR in your s-chassis (unlike in the US).
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

WS

Rides
    I have an RBS14a, I made my own loom, but to answer your question ( without sounding rude ) why would I want to buy a pre-made loom when my car runs just fine with what I've got......

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by boss View Post
    I have an RBS14a, I made my own loom, but to answer your question ( without sounding rude ) why would I want to buy a pre-made loom when my car runs just fine with what I've got......
    maybe he means for people who are going to convert in future?

Rides
    Because lots of people including myself hate wiring with a passion! And its not always easy to find someone to do it for you. Plug and play would make things alot simpler!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zornyan View Post
    Because lots of people including myself hate wiring with a passion! And its not always easy to find someone to do it for you. Plug and play would make things alot simpler!

Mb automotive can do you a plug and play loom no worries...

Rides
    Pretty much all of the traders on here that deal with the tuning side of things, would be willing to make a loom for any customer.

and for those members that are skilled enough, there is already full guide on how to do this by john bennett

Really all comes down to cost - i would imagine it wouldnt be worthwhile by the time you factor in postage etc

Rides
    I know a professional mechanic who got an RB26 all nicely installed in an S14A, but it never ran, since he couldn't get it wired up. So perhaps there's a market, or at least there was a few years back.

There might be a handful of people interested in help wiring up a Chevy V8 perhaps ? I know a couple of people have done that swap.

(personally my power aims are modest so I'm happy to stick with the SR I have).

Rides
    There's an RB conversion register on here somewhere. Not sure how up to date it is but there are a fair few running RB engines

Rides
    i had one, but now ive removed it for CA cheapness.

having somewhere i can just get pre made looms would be great though especially if they were made to tuck away neatly

Rides
    I have a RB conversion, i did the conversion,I did the wiring, it's started every time,every morning no matter what.

Rides
    I would think 1jz and 2jz looms would be wanted i've seen a few on here and dw

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by royellison View Post
    I have a RB conversion, i did the conversion,I did the wiring, it's started every time,every morning no matter what.
    Quoted for the truth!

Rides
    Eeeeerm. I've made complex CNC milling program's and machined anything from aluminium to titanium to within 0.005mm accurately.

Can you do that? If your a CNC engineer then chances are you can. But if your not then you won't be able to.
    Exactly the same as this. If you can't due to not having the skills. Time or facilities something like this is perfect. Not everyone has the same abilities.

If we all thought the way you have just posted we would all be brain surgeons who discovered the god particle.

Not just picking on you as some others seem to forget this too.

Rides
    Depending on the price of such a thing I would be interested not because I can't do it, infact I could do it fairly easily! But I am very lazy and if all I need to do is plug and play its one thing less to worry about after dropping the lump in!

Rides
    most people on here know that mechanically and electrically im not very good but i managed to do this myself.

no i cant do cnc milling work but then i never said i could, if the thread said "who can do any cnc milling?" then obviously i wouldnt of commented on it.

but whats that got to do with an rb thread?

he asked whos got an rb,
    i have and wrote who did it being me.

Rides
    most people on here know that mechanically and electrically im not very good but i managed to do this myself.

no i cant do cnc milling work but then i never said i could, if the thread said "who can do any cnc milling?" then obviously i wouldnt of commented on it.

but whats that got to do with an rb thread?

he asked whos got an rb,
    i have and wrote who did it being me.
    Yes that's fair enough but the guy is trying to find out if making kits etc would be a good thing to help people. The way you have posted Is basically saying "I've done mine and don't need your help".

I was just trying to make the point that yes fair enough "you" could do it on your own. But not everyone else can. I was using the CNC thing as an example to explain that not everyone knows how to do everything.

Like I say. Not just picking on you but your post was the easiest to pick on.

Rides
    roy was making the point that in the UK, I think we have a rather more DIY atmosphere to doing the swap than in the US - they use mount kits, most of us use RB stuff and weld up a gearbox mount.

the CNC example is bollocks - I have a smaller manual mill and can hold pretty good tolerances - can I hold 0.005mm? no, but don't need to. Have I been trained? no, I learnt myself and it's been sufficient to do the ARB spacer milling.

leading on from that.. John Bennett's guide is sufficient for pretty much anyone to get an RB25DET started and running well with a small investment of a soldering iron & heatshrink (and maybe a multimeter, if you run into trouble).

for the OP - the only real market I could see for you is you're doing nice 'wire tuck' style looms that fit the RHD chassis well. doing basic conversion looms I don't think would sell particularly well. the other problem is variations - a fair few people remove the ABS and wouldn't want the plugs, I would.

btw, for info, we don't all have SRs (that'd be rubbish! ) - the S14 does, the S13 has the CA.
    Last edited by alanjuggler; 20-01-2012 at 07:07.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    Your obviously reading my example wrong. But I can't be arsed to again go through the simple concept that one person can do one thing and another may not be able to.

Anyway I agree with you that we do seem more keen to DIY but maybe that's because these things are not easily and cheaply available.

When I first did mine. Although I can do wiring fairly well I just got buffy to make my loom for £70.
    For that money knowing that all I needed to do was throw the engine in and plug it up. Turn the key and drive my RB conversion was priceless. And saved me hours of hassle if I had just missed one wire off by accident which is quite likely to happen if you have never done this sort of thing before.

Knowing someone else out there has had experience in these things is good to know and I personally believe that the OP is onto a winner if the price is right and the looms are neat. Or tucked away as you say Alan.

Rides
    the other thing to bear in mind is that depending on what level of tune your going to and the management you choose affects the loom you need, my omex for instance came with a partially wired loom which needed wired to the various sensors.

Had i been going for standardish power or was planning on running something lke a Power FC then id probably buy a premade loom if i can get one that looks good, fits good, works well and is a decent price. If you had to buy a loom seperately to an engine then it can cost you 1-200 quid and its an unknown quantity, a brand new loom will work better, last longer and potentially rule out wiring faults that can be very tricky to trace.

Rides
    that's one thing that definitely should be mentioned, will the looms be brand new with new plugs, if so then there is nobody out there that i know that does that and would definitely have a market. not that large but it would even help others with conversions but have issues.