Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of buying a Hyundai Coupe??

Rides

Thinking of buying a Hyundai Coupe??

I have been thinking of buying a Hyundai coupe, does anyone have any experience of these? It would probably be a 2006 one as they are in my price range, there is a 2.7L one which i am very tempted by, although maybe i should be sensible and get the 2.0L one. If i went with the 2.7L one, do you think the fuel consumption would be huge compared to the 2.0L i'm really not sure what i should do.

Cheers for your help

Rides
    Had no personal experience with them, however

Parkers says, 2.7 gets 28mpg, 0-62 is 8 seconds. Whereas the 2.0 gets 35mpg, 0-62 is 9 seconds.

If you aren't worried about the 1 second 0-62 then I'd go for the 2.0 and save a fifth of the fuel

Rides
    Thanks, thats a great help. 2.0L it is then. I do a lot of driving, so that other fifth of fuel would help.

Rides
    A lad at work has one and he said to watchout for door seal issues (water ingress) Alarm fobs play up, Central locking motors prone to failing. Other than that he said its a reasonable car

Rides
    Years ago i had to fit a new/second hand engine in a 'y' plated 2.0 automatic (was 3 yr old att) it had only done about 40k and had destroyed it centre main/thrust washers so the crank had near 10mm of float and it was wrecking rebuilt autoboxes,we fitted 1 engine from a salvage yard to find the bores were full of water,my boss said throw it in don't waste time looking at it!,got another yet another engine fitted supposed to be another less than 50k motor,even after cranking till oil light went out the bottom end was rattling! fed up we stuck 2 tins of wyns treacle in it,some africans bought it iirc in the end,
    To be honest it was horrid to work on, build quality was very bad, and it drove like nothing sporty at all and it was quite ugly to look at from the front,yeah it was the facelift bug eye attempt version
    Unless its stupid cheap like sub £250 and after a VERY good test drive its seems ok maybe mate? but I'd get a celica or some other tbh
    A celica can do 200k and still be sweet,I can't see 1 of these doing 100k and not need an engine unless your lucky

Rides
    Im surprised to hear coupes are that unreliable. My little accent was faultless and bulletproof.

My friend had one of the facelifts, its definately in no way sporty and interior was typiclly cheap korean. Good looking car though.

Rides
    slow and drink fuel, even the 2 litre drinks fuel. That is all i know about them.

Rides
    I'm a Hyundai technician and to be honest, the 2.7 aren't quick and do consume a bit of fuel.to be honest of you wer ggoing for a coupe I'd just get a 1.6 or 2.0.

Rides
    Wouldent say no to the Genesis

Rides
    I don't think i would bother with the 2.7 it does seem a bit extreme and not getting much out of it. There seems some mixed reviews about this. My dad had an accent too, he thought it was great, never had any problems with it.

Rides
    I wouldn't buy one at all!

What's the budget? There must be better options.

Rides
    I have £3k to spend, maybe £3500. I want something with a 2.0 engine. I don't want a hatchback, i do not like small cars like that. I know it will be an older car, but i am hoping for something no more than 7 years old.

Rides
    i was gonna say RX8, ca be had for that money, but then again it is Rotary. Nowt wrong with that mind.

Rides
    I had actually thought about the RX8, i have some friends with Mazdas and say they are really reliable.

Rides
    I've got a 2.7.

Nice enough car to drive, although nothing special but f**k me it likes a drink.
    I got it cheap as it's a cat c, and only problem I've had in 3 years was the handbrake cable seizing last winter.

Oh, and putting petrol in it.

Did I mention it's thirsty

Rides
    get an IS200...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by me54022 View Post
    I had actually thought about the RX8, i have some friends with Mazdas and say they are really reliable.
    Mates got one, on 50k, only had one service, lol, still going, lol, bought from new, and he never serviced really
    Last edited by gonzomagic; 18-01-2012 at 14:47.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenman View Post
    get an IS200...
    Good call.

Rides
    My mum has one and I've borrowed it on many occasion. The 2 litre variety mind.

It handles well, very stiff suspension. Not all that great if you have many a bumpy road where you live but find a backroad and its wonderfully chuckable.
    Not too high on power considering how much fuel it uses. Certainly not V8 terrible, but for a 2 litre coupe I did expect a little better.

The 2.7 certainly sounds better, but I have heard even worse stories about the fuel consumption.

In terms of reliability, the car has never let my mum down. Always starts, no engine or electrical issues in the last 40-45k, since she bought it. Comes with all the usual stuff like air-con, leather, cruise control etc. Actually has a very nice interior. Feels well built with some nice brushed ally garnishes on door trims etc. Just don't look too hard at the MPG gauge

Rear seats are for children or dead bodies. Nothing else will fit. A childs car seat does go in but as soon as they sprout legs, its too small. Boot on the other hand is very good. Larger than the wifes Clio but shorter yet taller than the S13.

Personally, I would have no issues owning one. However, there are other cars out there that do the same thing better.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenman View Post
    get an IS200...
    Could be a good option.