Thread: Reputable workshops

Rides

Reputable workshops

Does anyone have any recommendations of garages/workshops in the SW that would do the following?

- Rear subframe/diff/arm/hub removal, stripping, powdercoat, poly bush, re-fit
    - Rear brake conversion
    - Front cross member and tension arm bracket replacement (current ones are rusty)
    - Fit exhaust system (head back), braided lines and gaskets
    - Sort any rust underneath (shouldn't be much)

I would do it myself but I can't leave the car in bits in my garage for any real length of time and I just want to get it done.

What should I reasonably expect to pay for the above work if I supply the bushes, cross member and brackets?
    Last edited by Ralz; 15-01-2012 at 19:05.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    That lot will cost a small fortune, well in excess of 1k i'd of thought
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Fcuk that, I'll do everything bar the subframe stuff myself.

I could even do the subframe myself if I can get hold of a diff and arms cheap, have the whole lot powder coated then build it up and do the whole swap in one go. Time to go shopping I think...

Rides
    Day 1 - Buy the rear poly bushes...
    Day 1 evening - take off the subframe... disassemble it...
    Day 2 morning - drop the sub frame of at GT finishers in Plym...
    Day 2 afternoon and evening - Swap the front cross member and tension rods
    Day 3 morning - Check the rust issues
    Day 3 afternoon - Pick up the sub frame
    Day 3 evening - Reassemble the frame with new bushes, arms and rear brakes. Put on car with new exhaust.
    Day 4 morning - Take to get alignment, then take it to get welding done from the rust check.
    Day 4 onwards - spend the money saved on buying the SW SXOC lot dinner in the pub

Simples

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Channie View Post
    Day 1 - Buy the rear poly bushes...
    Day 1 evening - take off the subframe... disassemble it...
    Day 2 morning - drop the sub frame of at GT finishers in Plym...
    Day 2 afternoon and evening - Swap the front cross member and tension rods
    Day 3 morning - Check the rust issues
    Day 3 afternoon - Pick up the sub frame
    Day 3 evening - Reassemble the frame with new bushes, arms and rear brakes. Put on car with new exhaust.
    Day 4 morning - Take to get alignment, then take it to get welding done from the rust check.
    Day 4 onwards - spend the money saved on buying the SW SXOC lot dinner in the pub

Simples
    and the clouds are pink and the sun is a big light bulb. If only mate. Day 3 morning could mean 4 day turn into a bloody lot of work. Just warning you.
    Last edited by Garysx; 17-01-2012 at 18:58.

Down in the foam, playing with the string...
    Rides
    I used to use Dave at DJP Motors in Brickyard Lane Starcross for stuff I couldn't do and no-one was available to help with. He drives a black Monster-logo'd Impreza. With a few bhp's under the bonnet... Its RAPID! Basically, he knows what he's doing. If you pop in there, tell him I sent you He's always been helpful to us.

Rides
    Sorry to hijack a bit but im planning on doing a similar amount of work to mine, the only bit ill be going to a garage for as channie said is the alignment and any welding.

Is there anywhere good to go with regards to welding as when i asked a local bodyshop about my sills they only wanted to grind it back and spray them. Which seems a bit of a waste of money, Ideally i was hoping for them to cut back as far as need be and weld in nice shiny metal.

Rides
    Ryan, not really local for you, but my local mechanic in Exeter did a top job cutting out my bad sills and replacing with good metal as necessary.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Garysx View Post
    and the clouds are pink and the sun is a big light bulb. If only mate. Day 3 morning could mean 4 day turn into a bloody lot of work. Just warning you.
    Thats why I said 'check' just so you get a general idea of whats there, then on the last day send it to get welded if needed, rather than rapey do it himself!

Quote Originally Posted by Brutty View Post
    Sorry to hijack a bit but im planning on doing a similar amount of work to mine, the only bit ill be going to a garage for as channie said is the alignment and any welding.

Is there anywhere good to go with regards to welding as when i asked a local bodyshop about my sills they only wanted to grind it back and spray them. Which seems a bit of a waste of money, Ideally i was hoping for them to cut back as far as need be and weld in nice shiny metal.
    That sounds like its not as bad as you might think, if its just surface, then a grind back and decent paint will stop it going any further for a long time

As for welding places, got bored of the extortionate prices and poor work from the places mates had used. And the one guy who I trusted to do a proper job had to shut up shop

So I bought my own welder and do it all myself

Rides
    I'm just going to do it myself. I was planning on getting somewhere to do the subframe and I figured I may as well get them to do everything.

Exhaust, brakes and cross member/tension brackets are easy. I have a spare subframe so will get the powder coated then just try and do the swap in a day, paint my diff and change the oil whilst its out.

Any recommendations on subframe/diff bushes?

Whilst the subframe is off I will check the underside for any rust, grind back any surface rust and then paint it with zinc primer and underseal before refitting. If I find any bad rust I'll get my mate to do the repair, I'm not expecting to find anything major but we'll wait and see

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross S14 View Post
    Ryan, not really local for you, but my local mechanic in Exeter did a top job cutting out my bad sills and replacing with good metal as necessary.
    Exeter isnt too bad as i could get it looked at next time im back from uni.

Quote Originally Posted by Channie View Post
    That sounds like its not as bad as you might think, if its just surface, then a grind back and decent paint will stop it going any further for a long time

As for welding places, got bored of the extortionate prices and poor work from the places mates had used. And the one guy who I trusted to do a proper job had to shut up shop

So I bought my own welder and do it all myself
    You don't fancy doing mine do ya? Im hoping rust wise it's as you say and not actually that bad as the rest of the car is faily tidy and rust free. I had thought about getting my own welder but the fact i've never welded before put me off as i reckon id muck it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralz View Post
    Any recommendations on subframe/diff bushes?
    Are you going polybushes all round or are you guna get some of those solid alu ones for the diff or anything?

Rides
    Are you going polybushes all round or are you guna get some of those solid alu ones for the diff or anything?
    Probably just poly as it is a daily driver, solid mounts make quite a lot more noise from what I've heard.

Rides
    Exeter isnt too bad as i could get it looked at next time im back from uni.
    I can give you his number and address if/when you want him to look at it for you.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross S14 View Post
    I can give you his number and address if/when you want him to look at it for you.
    Cheers Ross, that would be good. I'll grab it off you at the next pub meet or something, as i doubt i'll have a chance to get it looked at before then.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Ralz you may find you have to go for solid diff mounts as polly ones are hard to come by from what i've read.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    I'm pretty sure vidal put up a post somewhere about diff bushes?