Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding out who owns a piece of land

Rides

Finding out who owns a piece of land

How would I go about doing this? I dont know where to start?!

Rides
    Land registry?

Rides
    park a caravan on it and they will come to you

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralz View Post
    Land registry?
    Tell me more. I know where the piece of land is, in terms of google maps, but I dont know postcodes or addreses!?

Banned
    Rides
    yeah I know a bit of land I wouldnt mind getting but dont know my way around so am watchin this space for replies

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish N View Post
    Tell me more. I know where the piece of land is, in terms of google maps, but I dont know postcodes or addreses!?
    Here's a link to their website: http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/

Give them a call and ask how you would go about finding the owner of the property/land. You would probably have to fill in a few forms and pay a small fee to find out.

They might be able to do it using GPS co-ordinates (lat & long) but it would be helpful if you could find the address. I take it there are no houses on the land where you could could enquire?

EDIT: They have an online enquiry: http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/wps/p...roperty_Search This will give you an 'unofficial' register title, to get an official one (can be used for legal purposes, such as court etc.) you will have to apply by post using this form: http://www1.landregistry.gov.uk/uplo...uments/OC1.pdf

More info can be found here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndC...me/DG_10026643
    Last edited by Ralz; 15-01-2012 at 18:50.

Rides
    Cheers for that mate. It's a rather large plot of land - its an airfield! So I don't think there are any houses

Rides
    An airfield?!

SXOC airfield drag day?

Rides
    We'll see . Its disused, and I want to get relevant permissions first if I can

Rides
    We found out it may not always be possible to get it from the Land Registry
    When we bought our house there was a big delay because we have a garage on a chunk of land out the back, but no vehicular access through our property - just up a track. It's proven impossible to find out who actually owns the track, and we had our solicitors on it for yonks!

This totally baffles me, as surely the land must be registered somewhere, so I'd have thought the Land Registry would be a good start...

Rides
    Land registry, you'll need to request a "search of the index map", which is where you give them a rough location and attach a screen grab from Google Maps or wherever with the area you're concerned about outlined in red. That'll cost you about £6, and what you'll get back from that is a list of title numbers which may or may not relate to the land you're concerned with

You'll then need to request an official copy of the title plan and register for each of those title numbers (about £8 a pop I think) until you find the right one. I do this sometimes for work - it may be that the charges are different for the general public, I don't know.

As Si said, land isn't always registered with the Land Registry, especially if the same family has owned it for generations, for example. And if it's not registered on the registry, then... your best bet might be to go with the caravan suggestion above
    Last edited by Pete C; 16-01-2012 at 07:59.

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Google maps are not good enough for land registry. They like OS maps.

Rides
    I used a Google Maps screen grab the last time I did a search of the index map, no probs.

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Me and a group of 'wannabe' archeoligists are having this same problem whilst digging up the long-buried Norwich City Train Station.
    The land is technically owned by British Rail, but they don't exist anymore. Norfolk County Council bought the trackbed for £1 a while back as long as they maintain the path and the bridges, but 'our' Triangle of land sandwiched between the path and a Halfords has no real owner.
    The Council have pretty much told us to 'do what we like', which is nice, but I'd like to understand the legalities

www.flickr.com/groups/norwichcitystation

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralz View Post
    Here's a link to their website: http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/

Give them a call and ask how you would go about finding the owner of the property/land. You would probably have to fill in a few forms and pay a small fee to find out.

They might be able to do it using GPS co-ordinates (lat & long) but it would be helpful if you could find the address. I take it there are no houses on the land where you could could enquire?

EDIT: They have an online enquiry: http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/wps/p...roperty_Search This will give you an 'unofficial' register title, to get an official one (can be used for legal purposes, such as court etc.) you will have to apply by post using this form: http://www1.landregistry.gov.uk/uplo...uments/OC1.pdf
    I made this

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    We found out it may not always be possible to get it from the Land Registry
    When we bought our house there was a big delay because we have a garage on a chunk of land out the back, but no vehicular access through our property - just up a track. It's proven impossible to find out who actually owns the track, and we had our solicitors on it for yonks!

This totally baffles me, as surely the land must be registered somewhere, so I'd have thought the Land Registry would be a good start...
    Just take it over. If no-one complains, claim adverse possession.

Rides
    There is only a small % still not electronically registered by LR Also there are other reasons it might not be available, plans are too big, un clear, or stored wrong

If your just looking for information then just use the find a property service and get a title plan or a register You don't need to do an official search on a property unless you are in the process of buying it

Google maps are accepted, but OS are preferable (LR is in bed with them and BING)

Do you have a map with a pin point you can post on here?

Rides
    I have no intention of buying it. I think it sold recently for £22 mil

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...ed=0CA0Q_AUoAg

Rides
    The council seem to be repeatedly applying to build a composting facility on it, so my guess is the council owns it.
    No sign of any housing applications, so I doubt it's sold to a developer, though £22million certainly sounds like that has happened.

http://www2.guildford.gov.uk/DLDC_Ve...stemkey=128502

Rides
    If what i read is correct. It was sold to a developer who wanted to build a composting facility . They applied for planning permission and I think the council ran out of time so it was automatically granted

Residsents and RHS Wisley are up in arms about it and are contesting it. If the internet is to be believed the developer are £5m in the red though.