Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Unexpected exhuast popping at 115MPH

  1. #1
    Guest greenmachine282's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Swindon
    Posts
    98
    Rides
    0

    Unexpected exhuast popping at 115MPH

    Hi there looking for help to see if there may be a upcoming issue with the engine.
    Went up to 115MPH and the exhaust started to pop, this has never occurred before and i
    am curious to know if the may be a potential issue. Once that started i backed off.
    But the car has reached 140MPH before with no issues

  2. #2
    Guest itrhondaboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Northwich
    Posts
    5,096
    Rides
    0
    On a private road

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    E.A
    Posts
    676
    Rides
    0
    depends on the mods mate, may just be over fuel/ burning the excess. mine banged throughout the gears extremly loud, & flashed in the dark when the fuel light up.
    mine was 300bhp stage 1a & mapped
    http://youtu.be/rCTXwzqgY1g

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    E.A
    Posts
    676
    Rides
    0
    I had 162mph from her..... course it was a private rd

  5. #5
    Guest shane_evans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Southend,Essex
    Posts
    1,842
    Rides
    0
    Here's a pic of my old s14 flaming on the rollers. mine popped and banged all the time.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    E.A
    Posts
    676
    Rides
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by shane_evans View Post
    Here's a pic of my old s14 flaming on the rollers. mine popped and banged all the time.

  7. #7
    Guest shane_evans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Southend,Essex
    Posts
    1,842
    Rides
    0
    I will dig out the video of it.

  8. #8
    Guest warby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Isle of Man
    Posts
    897
    Rides
    0
    I love when mine flames and pops, well not in town when an old dear starts clutching at her chest when it goes off

    115mph, i gather its not an import that thinks its in speed limit mode?

  9. #9
    Guest Si's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Zanussi service centre
    Posts
    39,308
    Rides
    0
    Does it feel liek you are down on power at that point? If it's misfiring under high load (and that speed in any gear is highish load) then it's symptomatic of ignition or fuelling issues AFAIK.

    It would be worth getting it on a rolling road or getting it on the road with a wideband to see what the fuelling's doing at that point High load with fuelling issues can cause chunky damage to engines.
    Last edited by Si; 16-01-2012 at 11:20.

  10. #10
    I <3 BBS LM Actual_Ben_Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    23,365
    Rides
    0
    Probably a missfire due to weak spark.

    Quick fix would be a new set of plugs with a slightly smaller gap than you were running previously.

  11. #11
    Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Kilmarnock, Ayrshire
    Posts
    14,035
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattirowland View Post
    I had 162mph from her..... course it was a private rd
    My hero

    Quote Originally Posted by greenmachine282 View Post
    Hi there looking for help to see if there may be a upcoming issue with the engine.
    Went up to 115MPH and the exhaust started to pop, this has never occurred before and i
    am curious to know if the may be a potential issue. Once that started i backed off.
    But the car has reached 140MPH before with no issues
    As Si and ABT said above it sounds like your ignition is breaking down. Cheapest and easiest thing to check/change is plugs, then after that it is coilpacks. These can case misfiring under high levels of load.



  12. #12
    Guest Zornyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    essex
    Posts
    3,221
    Rides
    0
    Can't believe no on has said the obvious fault.......boost leak

  13. #13
    Guest ANDY black s13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    erith kent england
    Posts
    6,350
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zornyan View Post
    Can't believe no on has said the obvious fault.......boost leak
    Or stock maf geting too much cold air at higher speeds,had this on my 13 when i ran a cold air pipe to the filter at over a ton coming off the throttle slightly it was jolting and spitting back sort of thing only pulled clean at WOT,removed the cold air pipe and sorted
    Read on here z32 maf are ok with cold air feed to filter

  14. #14
    Guest greenmachine282's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Swindon
    Posts
    98
    Rides
    0
    Sorry i wasnt more specific guys. The car is not an import just a normal s14 with a few goodies. The car has 555cc's, Gt2871r 0.64, Z32 MAF etc etc has been rolling rolled with good figures just under a year ago. Is rapid and does pop between gears but had never done it at those speeds (On a private road obviously) Popped at that speed and has never done so before. Am due some new plugs to be honest...
    A fellow member who is a good friend also suggested boost leak but it does boost fine in the lower gears it seems.
    I cant remember if i began losing power when it popped because i backed off straight away (One of those when you know your car and knew that wasnt right).
    Im probably assuming some ignition problem like what has been mentioned...

  15. #15
    Guest Si W's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,135
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    Or stock maf geting too much cold air at higher speeds,had this on my 13 when i ran a cold air pipe to the filter at over a ton coming off the throttle slightly it was jolting and spitting back sort of thing only pulled clean at WOT,removed the cold air pipe and sorted
    Read on here z32 maf are ok with cold air feed to filter
    So a cold air intake isn't a great idea with the standard MAF then?

  16. #16
    Guest big_mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    glasgow
    Posts
    3,759
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    Or stock maf geting too much cold air at higher speeds,had this on my 13 when i ran a cold air pipe to the filter at over a ton coming off the throttle slightly it was jolting and spitting back sort of thing only pulled clean at WOT,removed the cold air pipe and sorted
    Read on here z32 maf are ok with cold air feed to filter
    The colder the air the better, you will have had another problem that was highlighted when the charge temps came down.

    And shane, thats not a flame this is a flame (skip to about 1:40)

  17. #17
    Guest itrhondaboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Northwich
    Posts
    5,096
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    Or stock maf geting too much cold air at higher speeds,had this on my 13 when i ran a cold air pipe to the filter at over a ton coming off the throttle slightly it was jolting and spitting back sort of thing only pulled clean at WOT,removed the cold air pipe and sorted
    Read on here z32 maf are ok with cold air feed to filter
    I doubt that mate, probably knackard plugs or wrong grade as you would run better with colder air and more powerful

  18. #18
    Guest Cloudy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    At the bar with the ladies!
    Posts
    5,517
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Si W View Post
    So a cold air intake isn't a great idea with the standard MAF then?
    When I used a cold air feed along with a S/S hardpipe it caused my 14a to stall when dipping the clutch. With the cold air feed removed it stopped, Jez spent quite some time trying to figure out what causing the issue.

  19. #19
    Guest ANDY black s13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    erith kent england
    Posts
    6,350
    Rides
    0
    Im from a NA tuning back ground years back and believed the cold air denser intake was good for power, but my 13 hatted it,literally pulled over cold hose off and sorted,something to do with the MAF design as in stock maf has a small port for the filaments and z32 maf is open so ok with colder ram effect air,was a thread on here about it a while back?
    now we have the spec of the car from the OP soz can't help there

  20. #20
    Guest itrhondaboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Northwich
    Posts
    5,096
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    Im from a NA tuning back ground years back and believed the cold air denser intake was good for power, but my 13 hatted it,literally pulled over cold hose off and sorted,something to do with the MAF design as in stock maf has a small port for the filaments and z32 maf is open so ok with colder ram effect air,was a thread on here about it a while back?
    now we have the spec of the car from the OP soz can't help there
    My eg civic missfired under WOT after fitting an induction kit and stainless pipe ran perfect with standard intake
    Turned out the intake pipe was causing the problem as with just the cone filter or open to atmosphere it ran fine, I guessed it was the intake pipe that was just a poor design as I later fitted a HKS super racing suction kit which was a much wider inlet pipe

    Most probably a boost leak it always is
    Where's sideways??

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •