Thread: Exhaust fumes

Rides

Exhaust fumes

I'm getting some exhaust fumes into the car and its mostly on the passenger side. I have checked under the Bonnet but can't find anything out of the ordinary.
    what can I test joins with to check for leakages and is there any where else but the obvious (manifold/turbo) to check?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by martyd1901; 14-01-2012 at 17:13.

Rides
    Check the turbo joins and elbow to downpipe join, when the car is stone cold start it up and put your hand down by the joins right at the back on the passenger side and see if you can feel any air escaping from the joins, if you hand is damp you can feel it better (best to take manifold heat shield off first to get better access)

BE WARNED it will get very hot within around a minute so be careful. Also it might be sounding a bit like a tractor which indicates turbo gaskets.

Rides
    i definitely don't hear it blowing anywhere. and i have tried to feel around the turbo before but i don't feel any escaping. I also got someone to check if it was blowing but he couldn't find anywhere on the exhaust. That's what makes me think its coming from somewhere else.

i smell it alot more when im standing outside the car right beside the passenger side wing mirror.

Rides
    Could be the cat or de-cat gaskets leaking. has to be the exhaust somewhere since its exhaust fumes

Banned
    Rides
    maybe the flexi is split inside, have a look for black soot or again blowing, you could cover the opening of the exit of the exhaust but not for long due to back pressure problems. be better with x2 people n a jacked up car, i had this issue and managed to weld mine on low power but had to rid the braid covering

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattirowland View Post
    maybe the flexi is split inside, have a look for black soot or again blowing, you could cover the opening of the exit of the exhaust but not for long due to back pressure problems.
    what can i use to cover the exhaust? old tea towel? I have a full exhaust from japspeed including a flexi downpipe. i have noticed black soot sitting on the inside of the of the exhaust.
    should i hear it coming from the flexi downpipe once the exhaust is covered?

if i take the flexipipe off would i be able to see with a torch if it is split?

also anything other suggestions on what to check? I want to try and check everything tomorrow.

Thanks

Rides
    i checked the exhaust today but i couldn't really hear, feel or see anything from the exhaust anywhere.

is there anything under the bonnet i can check? I have already checked the manifold gaskets and turbo gaskets.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattirowland View Post
    maybe the flexi is split inside, have a look for black soot or again blowing, you could cover the opening of the exit of the exhaust but not for long due to back pressure problems. be better with x2 people n a jacked up car, i had this issue and managed to weld mine on low power but had to rid the braid covering
    This is what I would do,car in air supported on stands 1 of you blocks exhaust with tea towel or any thing to block it so the exhaust blow will be hissing possibly and easier to feel on your hand as mentioned before,
    if the tail pipe is totally blocked and car still runs it must have a leak sum place need 2 of you though 1 to seal tailpipe and 1 under car checking
    If the car stalls then the leak at idle is so small it may point towards its only blowing/leaking when being driven and engine movement is opening up a crack of loose gasket joint somewhere,stainless manifolds can crack and stainless elbows as well
    Last edited by ANDY black s13; 15-01-2012 at 13:45.