Thread: Gearbox stiff when selecting 5th/reverse/pushing to the right?

Rides

Gearbox stiff when selecting 5th/reverse/pushing to the right?

I've had a search but am not satisfied its the same problems that anyone else has posted about...

Basically, this morning, on some bumpy back roads, the gear shifter became harder to push to the right. It pushes to the left no problems, which means 1-4 gears are fine, but it is twice as hard to push to the right, making 5th and reverse harder than they should be.
    All gears work fine, with no crunches or whines.

So... what could this be? Something simple? Something to do with selector forks? Synchros? Oil?

The box felt absolutely mint when it went in 3k and one drift day ago, and it had fresh comma 75w-90.

1st gear is tight, but I put this down to worn snychros cos I abused the feck out of it.

Cheers

Rides
    Do you have a short shifter?

Rides
    nope, stock shifter always.

Rides
    when i bought mine it came with short shifter on.. and when he told me he also mensioned bout some springs to which i think return the gearstick back to natural position.... could it be possible something to do with these or around there?? sound weird box all of a sudden going stiff like that.

Rides
    Anyone?

I can try changing the oil since this seems to be a source of problems for some, but its stiff just one way, not even selecting gear!

Also forgot to mention, the engine is on race mounts and box on nismo mount, only 1 year old

Rides
    I think what tomtom is getting at is detent springs, or something like that, do you know what im talking about?

Rides
    just had a search online, sounds like it could be related... had a play with my old broken box to see what effect removing a spring made.. i think maybe one spring has snapped or got jammed possibly. I will investigate it next time I can

Rides
    I remember vaguely it has an effect on the gearstick self centering/ left right movement but tbh I don't really know what im talking about, can't get my head around it but since your stuck thought id mention it.

This may help:
    http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk/archives/881

And have a look at the gearbox rebuild guide:
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...+rebuild+guide

Half way down on post 21 he is refitting the detent springs.

Rides
    damn, I was just looking at the shifter detent springs themselves, not the selector ones.

Looks like I may have a selector fork problem if it isnt the spring Ah well, the selectors in my old box are fine to swap in, lol

Cheers for that, its added to my "s14 useful info" favourites folder!