Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to rebuild / refirbish CA18DET hydraulic lifter valves

Rides
    Fresh Mobil engine oil, whatever you use a standard either 5w-40 or 10w-40 can't remember. That's what I used anyway. Also let the lifters sit in the engine for a while before staring it to give the valves a chance to re-seat.

Rides
    i use Motul 300V 15W50 so i should use that in my Hydros as well i redo my whole cylinder head at the moment or at least try to do it still looking for some more info on that particular subject.

Rides
    Does anyone know how to separate the older style lifter? Iv tried hitting it really hard and its not coming apart. Is there some kind of clip that has to come off?

Rides
    Hold the body of the lifter (shiny bit) and slam it down onto a flat surface. The middle bit should drop down so it is level with the bottom of the lifter body. Then using pliers or mole grips, grip the middle bit and pull/work it out. If that doesn't work it's probably knackered.

Rides
    I tried that with no success. When I pulled the head apart there were 2 different lifter types. The one which he uses in the initial guide come apart when slammed on a flat surface but as you can see the design/shape of this one is different and that method doesn't work. I can depress the hydraulic middle bit so its not siezed. If I look really closely there is clip/washer around the base but can't for the life of me get it out. Anyone have any experience with this style lifter?

Rides
    Currently carrying out this task and need to know, when re-assembling how far should i be able to push the lifter into the lifter body?

Can't seem to get further than this!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Rides
    When reassembled it should be flush, when you fit the lifter into the engine and tighten the camshaft down it will then close the gap up to what it was before the rebuild. By the way you have to put the lifter body into the lifter whilst it is submerged in oil so you might have to redo that one you have pictured as it's out the oil and on it's side. Sorry if you already knew that.

Rides
    Judging by the pictures it does look flush.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    When reassembled it should be flush, when you fit the lifter into the engine and tighten the camshaft down it will then close the gap up to what it was before the rebuild. By the way you have to put the lifter body into the lifter whilst it is submerged in oil so you might have to redo that one you have pictured as it's out the oil and on it's side. Sorry if you already knew that.
    I managed to assemble them all and they all sit about 2-3 mm below the lifter housing but are solid.

Yea i assembled them fully submerged in oil however i have somehow lost the cap that sits on top from one

Rides
    I've done this twice now and the way I did it was fill and bleed and fit cap to the body. Then I put lifter in the tub of oil and then to put the body inside I slid it partly in then put the assembly on the bottom of the tub and pressed down on the top of the lifter and it just clicks into place. That made them flush, I don't think I'd of got them flush if I just tried squeezing them together. Maybe you could try that if you haven't already. Hope that makes sense. Those cap things are so tiny.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    I've done this twice now and the way I did it was fill and bleed and fit cap to the body. Then I put lifter in the tub of oil and then to put the body inside I slid it partly in then put the assembly on the bottom of the tub and pressed down on the top of the lifter and it just clicks into place. That made them flush, I don't think I'd of got them flush if I just tried squeezing them together. Maybe you could try that if you haven't already. Hope that makes sense. Those cap things are so tiny.
    That's exactly how i done it altho after pushing down i did then manage to push the lifter into the body another few mm (keeping the whole thing upright)