Thread: Blowing Ign Sw Fuse

Rides

Blowing Ign Sw Fuse

Went out to start the car after its been laid up for the winter to find that when I try to crank it over it blows the 30 amp Ign Sw fuse in the engine bay. So with a fresh fuse you can switch the ignition on and everything is fine, once you turn it to start it blows the fuse and everything on the ign circuit dies (dash lights, radio, turbo timer etc), not a peep from the starter / solenoid. Fuse then needs replaced before anything on the ign circuit will work again. Any guesses before I start ripping it apart?

Ta,

Calum

Rides
    Disconnect battery and connect again. Check grounding.

Rides
    I know sounds silly but on the starter/charge loom, check all plugs are in and connections are made , as we had similar problem and was a rubbish connection cheers

Banned
    Rides
    Earthing issue maybe but also see this issue before where there was a bare wire in the bay bulkhead where was not in a gromit, & seen mice eat the wires but I would check your grounds 1st, may also be damp in the main box.

Rides
    Thanks guys, got it sorted this morning. Looks like the culprit was some dodgy wiring at the back of the ignition barrel by a previous owner.