Thread: F**~*** ebay

Down in the foam, playing with the string...
    Rides

F**~*** ebay

Recently advertised a car on ebay. Ok, fine I knew it would cost me the listing fee. Unsuccessful sale and then sent me an invoice for the listing fee.

A couple of days later they took the money from my credit card account without my knowledge giving me no time to pay the fee via paypal as I intended to after christmas.

My beef is that the card details they held were set up in 2006. The card expired in 2007 and I did not update it. I never received any requests to update it either.

How the hell can they take money from an expired card??? I called them and all the foreign woman would jabber on at me (no idea where she was from but had an accent so thick you could re-float the titanic on it) was the formula answers off a screen saying I agreed to use this card when I set tup the account and they always automatically charge now and I was notified about this a couple of years ago blah blah blah. Who reads every single missive ebay send out?! Honestly?!

The problem is that card was kind of maxed out after christmas so now I'm being charged extra by the bank. All ebay woman would say is to repeat that "I agreed to use this card when I set up the account and they always automatically charge now and I was notified about this a couple of years ago" and so on. They won't delete it from their system unless I agree to change to direct debit or paypal automatic billing. There is no option anymore not to have automatic billing Fcukers. I won't be using them again to sell anything. TBH, I'm minded to delete my account fully and never use them again but there are some useful sellers of little bits and bobs I use regularly and they only trade through ebay. It would make it a bit more awkward (and more expensive) getting hold of these bits and bobs if I delete my account. Dammit.

Sorry. Just needed to vent. I'm so irritated at them at the moment for doing this I could chew coal and spit diamonds.

Rides
    I'm with you on the hating ebay I won't sell anything on there for similar reasons seller fees etc etc,
    I only buy on ebay now from like yourself from certain sellers,
    If thats the only reason to not delete your account?,Can't you set up an account in your other halfs name or another family member maybe?

Banned
    Rides
    i wouldnt of thought they could. cocks, when it first came out it was ok but now thee just to greedy. write to them in an email and dispute this or at least paypal. in that case you can be had by fraud and not be protected, why did your bank allow it too

Rides
    Tbh who likes ebay these days?

Rides
    Ring and rant at the bank, the fact they let someone take money from an expired card is enough to get the transaction cancelled.

Rides
    Yeah I've heard of this practice. In fact my card expired at some point last year and I noticed that eBay/PayPal were still able to bill me after that.

Rides
    Call the bank / credit card company and raise hell about why they let a payment go through with expired card details. Get them to refund you.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -ghost- View Post
    I do, loads of stuff I need in one place

Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    Call the bank / credit card company and raise hell about why they let a payment go through with expired card details. Get them to refund you.
    ...but, I would also do this as the card was expired the bank needs a ****ing kicking

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -ghost- View Post
    Tons of people, it's a great place to buy from.

Rides
    it's all in their T&Cs. I know it's not what you wanted, but you have to take it on the chin mate. It's not really unsurprising considering how many users they have. If they didn't enforce the way they get their money like they do, they'd need an office with about 100 employees chasing the chumps that fail to pay.

Ebay is awesome, i've sold so much junk that i would have otherwise binned and bought so many bargains it's unreal

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    Sales of goods act says they have to refund you or you get to give them a free punch

Rides
    I would have gone insane at the bank to let an expired card to be used.

Rides
    How can you have an expired card that's maxed out ?

If you have been issued a new card for the same account, and it has a different number on it, then the bank should not have allowed the charge.

Take it up with the Bank.

Down in the foam, playing with the string...
    Rides
    Taking it up with the bank.

Yes, JW - same account, new card. Christmas wasn't kind to it! But I lowered the credit limit to stop me getting into trouble!

Rides
    if it wasnt for the fact that so many awesome item are listed, and its so convenient to use, I would also hate ebay. They are utter ****ers!

Rides
    I didnt think you could sell without having bank funding set up though.

I was sure you had to agree to a direct debit to be able to sell. It then wouldnt matter if the card had a valid date or not.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skidder166 View Post
    I didnt think you could sell without having bank funding set up though.

I was sure you had to agree to a direct debit to be able to sell. It then wouldnt matter if the card had a valid date or not.
    I think they changed the T&Cs a while ago,so before then you could just register a card. Members since then HAVE to set up a direct debit.....

Rides
    You've entered a contract with them, if your card expires they can contact your credit card company and ask for the details of the new card.
    I had a similar situation with xbox live... They don't have my card details any more

Edit:
    Actually, reading various articles on the internet, i'm not sure if they are allowed to do this - it may well be totally illegal
    Last edited by Mike_S13; 06-01-2012 at 16:54. Reason: I'm confused, lol

Rides
    I used to work in the credit card section of a bank. Basically it's kind of a grey area. Once you register your card with a company you are giving that company permission to take appropriate payments from your card as required. When the card expires, the card number stays the same but the expiry date & security code change. The fact remains that you have given the company permission to debit your card number so out of "convenience to you" the bank will allow them to keep using the details.

Strange thing is that it only applies to certain larger companies. Oh, and it doesn't apply to debit cards at all as far as I know.

Personally I'd call them and kick up fuss and have whatever bank charges they've applied refunded on the basis that you "didn't want ebay to have your new card details".

I'll put it to you this way though. Wouldn't it be worse if your card expired and you assumed that payments would continue and then they didn't, and something important bounced?

Like I say, it's a grey area.