Thread: S14 Knock/Boost Error Codes firing for some reason...

Rides

S14 Knock/Boost Error Codes firing for some reason...

Hi guys

I have finally got a laptop hooked up to my ECU. The first thing I noticed is that the car is running on the Knock Fuel/Spark maps instead of the main maps. After closer inspection, as soon as I start to drive the car (even very very slowly) it throws up the following DTC error codes and jumps it on the knock maps:

1) boost sensor error
    2) knock sensor error

1) I do not understand what the boost sensor error could be. I didn't even realise we had an ECU based pressure sensors in these cars, I thought that would only be for MAP cars? Im stumpted there.

2) I am checking with det cans and im sure the engine is not knocking. Also im only poodling down the lane at 20% load with OEM map, I'd be amazed if it were knocking in the 0-2500rpm range.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Rides
    is it/ was it auto? check the knock sensor either with a multimeter or swap it out for a know good one

also, is your engine making any noises other than the norm? the knock sensor could also be picking up other noise

Rides
    Cheers Mick

Car has always been manual from what I understand.

Any idea what a healthy knock sensor should read on the meter?

The engine has always made a fairly loud metallic tapping from the top somewhere. I presume it to be VVT rattle.

ta

Rides
    Update - please see below for screenshot of the error codes. As soon as I clear them they come back. [26] comes back straight away. [34] comes back after 10 secods or so of idling.

I have found a previous post by al explaining how to check the knock sensor so I will do that next.

Anyone got any idea's what the boost pressure sensor error is all about?

Ta

*EDIT* - Duh! Oh yeh I forgot the s14 non A's have a stock boost sensor. I must have ripped it out last year in my frenzy of losing Kg, and now its erroring because it cant find the sensor. I wonder if this will have any bearing on the ECU maps and running? I wouldn't imagine so as I believe these ECU's use the MAF rather than any pressure inputs. In which case I think this error isn't actually causing me any problems...
    Last edited by Jont; 03-01-2012 at 17:45.