Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Dandan's FD - Project Lifetimer

Rides
    I hope you know where all them bits go back

Rides
    Pfft, half of them don't need to go back

Rides
    i might be missing the point of having a nice tidy engine bay (something I suspect I don't really appreciate ) but what's wrong with the standard pump?
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by alanjuggler View Post
    i might be missing the point of having a nice tidy engine bay (something I suspect I don't really appreciate ) but what's wrong with the standard pump?
    Nothing, it's just untidy apparently!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by alanjuggler View Post
    It's sad really but it's purely for the look of the thing, apart from it does make accessing the spark plugs easier! it really protrudes off the side of the engine and takes up a lot of space. i might consider moving it down to where the ac pump used to be (lower down) as I really dont want to ruin the steering feel if the eleccy pump is really that bad, i need to do a bit of research sharpish

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    I hope you know where all them bits go back
    Haven't a clue.

But I'm using Si's methodology.

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Pfft, half of them don't need to go back

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Will@666Custom View Post
    Haven't a clue.

But I'm using Si's methodology.
    You know I can read this, right? :P

Will did you get my email about the Dash? Oh and I bought a 106 pump today, it wasn't too expensive so I thought it's worth a try. I got it sent straight to you.

Rides
    Yes dude I did, I responded earlier.

That's not a problem, Feel free to come and pick it up.

Okay, I'll start looking in to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dandan View Post
    You know I can read this, right? :P

Will did you get my email about the Dash? Oh and I bought a 106 pump today, it wasn't too expensive so I thought it's worth a try. I got it sent straight to you.

Rides
    Once the Steering Column was out, I could finally remove the Water Pipe that's been bugging me.

I plan on doing something much less visible with this.

Rides
    Received a much needed Wiring Delivery.

And proceeded to tackle the heart of the Wire Tucking Nightmare.

Started my run.

Removed the Main Fuse/Relay Box.

And started pulling through it's usable wires.

Removed some ABS related junk.
    And started to thin and neaten the loom.

Also removed the remaining ABS bits from the Relay box for clearance.

Rides
    At this point I had a change of plans, for the better.

I decided I would re-mount and re-route all the important wiring in the most user friendly way possible, Which will be in the Passenger foot well.

We'll call it OEM +.....

Chose my location.

Made a Bracket.

Welded some Studs in, similar to how Mazda does it.

Had to re-locate this, as the fuse box now lived in it's old location.

Same again.

Checking Clearance.

Made a funky bracket that mounts the other side of the Main Fuse box and the Diagnosis Port in the same way as factory.

Now most people will think this is silly, But I spent a bit of time making sure the Lid of the Diagnosis Port opened within it's enclosure, and the text was oriented the right way.

Rides
    Excellent! All about attention to detail

Rides
    Nice progress, it looks like you might come out of this without even using the stripped down loom I supplied?! That's not a problem of course, I just thought it would save you some time!
    Loving the minute detail

Rides
    Cracking work!

Now's not really the time to tell you that the diagnosis port is pretty much useless, is it?

Main use is pretty much limited to manually running the fuel pump to check pressure, and, errrrr...
    Yup, struggling to think of anything else

I totally removed mine - IIRC all wires except one terminate openly in that box - the one that doesn't was a 12v constant IIRC, which I think runs the ignition circuit, will check, BRB...

EDIT: Here: http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...=1#post5777778
    Live and earth to the ECU

I don't want to try to teach anyone to suck eggs, but would it help if I did a brain dump of what electrical bits I removed from mine?
    Last edited by Si; 15-06-2012 at 11:19.

Rides
    Dump away my friend

I went to see Will today, I've never been so happy to have someone else work on my car! He is so aware of all the little details, nothing will be left to chance, he even showed me where he had put a tiny scratch on the binnacle when removing and asked if I wanted the whole thing repainting! We had a bit of a chat about some more details and I came away so excited about the project, its going to be awesome! most of the loom has been replaced with new, upgraded wiring which I wasn't expecting, Will is going to be painting and colour coding more parts than I thought, which, seeing as I have a fixed agreed budget, is a real bonus.
    Keep the updates coming Will

Rides
    Oooof, I may have to speak to him about just wirin me up a new loom I did a crap job of mine

Right, brain dump:
    Diagnoss port: As mentioned
    Fuel Pump resistor: Steps down the voltage to the FP under certain conditions - I dumped it, and took a feed to trigger a relay to run a direct fused 12v to the battery al the time
    Front Relay box - basically binned, were a couple of useful relys and the rest was stuff like audio - binned and ran a dedicated audio live.
    ABS you've done already. There was also Bose related stuff in there, but I guess that's probably been long gone by Will
    Ignition - Really common and good mod is to give the coils a direct battery feed - it's pretty clear on the wiring diagram - it comes through the ignition normally so is subject to being intefered with by alarm and old wiring. Really common cause of weak ignition I used the feed to trigger a relay to give a direct 12v feed.
    Coil loom - There's a 4 plug sub loom for the coils. If you can, redo this with new wire - it gets really old and skanky and brittle I gave up and bought a new loom, as I couldn't find replacement pins - it was about 80 quid though!

Rides
    Thanks Quail.

Quote Originally Posted by Quail View Post
    Excellent! All about attention to detail

Rides
    Good to see you the other day bud.

I'm pleased you're happy with the direction of the project.

I've shot you an e-mail across regarding one of those Colours we spoke of.

Quote Originally Posted by Dandan View Post
    Dump away my friend

I went to see Will today, I've never been so happy to have someone else work on my car! He is so aware of all the little details, nothing will be left to chance, he even showed me where he had put a tiny scratch on the binnacle when removing and asked if I wanted the whole thing repainting! We had a bit of a chat about some more details and I came away so excited about the project, its going to be awesome! most of the loom has been replaced with new, upgraded wiring which I wasn't expecting, Will is going to be painting and colour coding more parts than I thought, which, seeing as I have a fixed agreed budget, is a real bonus.
    Keep the updates coming Will

Rides
    Thanks Si

No worries, My knowledge of RX7's is quite limited to be fair.

Question for you regarding the Diagnosis Port, and the reason for me retaining it.

The FD RX7 appears to run OBD1.

When I checked the Pins in the Diagnosis Port, I found a 'TEN' and 'GND' Pin.

My thinking is that Bridging these Terminals will allow you to run OBD and signal the Engine Warning Light to display a Flash Code.

It should display a potential fault for over 40 different parameters of the Engine.

Is this correct ?

Also you should be able to Plug a Mazda Reader in to it ?

I appreciate your feedback.

I'm aiming for a factory feel to certain elements of the build, So worst case, If it does turn out to be completely redundant, It's only 14 small diameter wires and they're already run so I'll just leave them.

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Cracking work!

Now's not really the time to tell you that the diagnosis port is pretty much useless, is it?

Main use is pretty much limited to manually running the fuel pump to check pressure, and, errrrr...
    Yup, struggling to think of anything else

I totally removed mine - IIRC all wires except one terminate openly in that box - the one that doesn't was a 12v constant IIRC, which I think runs the ignition circuit, will check, BRB...

EDIT: Here: http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...=1#post5777778
    Live and earth to the ECU

I don't want to try to teach anyone to suck eggs, but would it help if I did a brain dump of what electrical bits I removed from mine?

Rides
    I've a feeling the ignition has already been rewired to give the coils direct feed, just to confuse things a bit further!
    Thanks Si, it's all gobbledegook to me but hopefully will be useful info.

Will I'll email you back today about that colour, got to keep some details top secret until they are ready!