Thread: TJZ Engineering 180SX drift car build.

Rides

TJZ Engineering 180SX drift car build.

Hi everybody,

While I've been a member of SXOC for the last couple of years and trader this year, I feel I have been cheating by not actually ever owning a Datsun...oh wait, I can't call them that anymore now I've joined Nissan SX ownership ranks.

So, the base car for the project is this purple ex Japanese/UK drift car. It used to have a pretty hefty spec but I received it as pretty basic rolling shell.

I set a goal of getting the car together and running in a week so I actually did it rather then add it to my project queue which now fills 75% of the workshop.

The JZX cars are on the back burner and the recently acquired RX8 JZ is being broken. It leaves me with this, the 180SX, as my daily drift car which might make it's way into the BDC if luck is on my side and I have a bit of time to prep it. No definite plans for BDC in 2012. I'll stick to the plan till the plan changes.

So far, after 7 days of having the car, it's pretty much ready to rock and roll. Engine and box is all in, suspension is all done up...kit has been sort of trial fitted. Need to ditch the 50mm front wings so stock ones are going on till I get 25mm front wings and 30mm rear overfenders. Have to as the rear quarters have been cut for overfenders meaning at the moment there's about 15 inches of gap between the arch and wheel.

Running an S14 T28 turbo on an Apex tubular manifold - nice bit of kit guys, would deffo recommend this manifold. This should see the 300bhp I'm initially going for.

Engine bay tarted up quickly -

All new front brake lines.

And where the engine stands at the moment -

Need a speed sensor for the gearbox and power steering lines. Gav @ Driftbitz has supplied a lot of parts recently for me and once again, I've turned to him for a complete set of power steering lines and resevoir. Couldn't recommend Driftbitz highly enough...items are in great condition and shipped very quickly.

So, a little update should happen tonight once I've got the lines on and the start of the bodywork marathon.

I need some input thought. What colour should the car be? I want a nightime urban theme so dark greys, purples, blues....I don't know.
    Last edited by PURE Performance UK; 16-12-2011 at 11:24.

Rides
    Cheers for kind words Matt. Speed sensor on shelf
    **Currently breaking**
    RX-8 191, RX-8 231

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Gav View Post
    Cheers for kind words Matt. Speed sensor on shelf
    Just tried to bell you dude...give me a shout on 01531 634442 when ya can and I'll take that speed sensor.

Thanks.

Rides
    Out at moment, always best to call mobile call you back soon.
    **Currently breaking**
    RX-8 191, RX-8 231

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Matt View Post
    Datsun...oh wait, I can't call them that anymore now I've joined Nissan SX ownership ranks.
    I always refer to mine as a Datsun .

Will keep an eye on this build .

Rides
    Subscribed

Rides
    Power steering lines arrived this afternoon...thanks again to Gav @ Driftbotz awesome service. He has a speed sensor as well so that is two of the missing parts sorted. No work tomorrow so can get on with a few more bits on this.

Rides
    Update...change of plan. Ditched the SR20 and am going for an RB20-DET with a few tasty bits. SR20 is back out of the car today, having decided on the RB20 last night.

RB20 is arriving any minute.

Currently it has:

Cometic head gasket, uprated bearings and stuff, Nistune, injectors of some sort, big ass Greddy style intake, FMIC, uprated clutch, uprated rad, some other bits I can't remember. Details are slack due to buying off a friend and knowing the motor is good. Previously it made 298bhp at 0.9 bar of boost.

Got a Precision turbo 3076 to go after a rebuild and 550cc injectors. Then we'll see what happens.

Rides
    Why?

Rides
    Why not. SR20 will struggle around 400bhp for reliability where as the RB will be happy as larry.

Rides
    you mean stock internal SR20 surely, mine runs faultlessly, its the damn gearbox it keeps tearing through I do love the rb20

Rides
    Why not. SR20 will struggle around 400bhp for reliability where as the RB will be happy as larry.

Righto!

Banned
    Rides
    RB all the way

Rides
    Sorry Matt, but ill quote:

I set a goal of getting the car together and running in a week so I actually did it rather then add it to my project queue which now fills 75% of the workshop
    so ffs, this is now another project in the queue

why not just stick the sr20det in it.... no wait, you had already got that far!! button it up, chuck a t28 on it, stock mani, basic mods... 0.8-0.9 bar of boost, get fueling checked and GO HAVE FUN!

Wasn't this the whole Idea of this 'build' you dont need 400 ponys! certainly not to have fun in a s-body

Its already 2012!

Rides
    So...the SR ( with stock internals) is back in! I am utterly useless I know. This is in and staying in now and is nearly done. RB is a straight S13 drop in as it's been converted all for it already before but I want it for another plan I have.

Will be hitting pod a week on Saturday if all goes to plan. Am now sticking a 2876r and 550cc Nismo injectors in it and I'm done. Kit is pretty much done. Got all the front mount and rad brackets made tonight. HDI front mount arrived last Friday I think which was a hold up...they are awesome kits. Well worth the money.

Will get a proper update up when I have 5 minutes with some pictures as well. Always a nice idea.

Rides
    Glad to hear your sticking with the redtop... makes complete sense...

if you wanna get the most out of that tubby those 550s aint gonna be big enough...

Rides
    SR better for drifts in a 13 handling wise mate

Rides
    If I get around 350 to 380 which I should on the 550cc, I'll be happy. This car isn't going to be savage, just a nice comfortable daily drifter.

Set of BC Racing coilovers arrived yesterday for the car in a delivery. I've never used them but as I stock them, I think I really ought to give them a try out.