Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Re-testing OAP's?

Rides

Re-testing OAP's?

I'm all for it personally, I think it should be done earlier too.

What's wrong with re-testing at 50? at that age a person could have been driving for some 33 years, times have changed they really should be re-assessed.

As for OAP's, it's just retarded that all they need is the 'ok' from a doctor to continue to drive.

This is a fine example

Rides
    I agree, although I can't say I'd appreciate actually having to take the re-test myself

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    100% agree. So many muppets on the road.
    **Currently breaking**
    RX-8 191, RX-8 231

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
    I agree, although I can't say I'd appreciate actually having to take the re-test myself
    It'd be an arse, and I'd complain. But I also know I'd probably fail

I'd bet alot of people that age would fail on simple stuff like eyesight, so many people around with poor eyesight that just won't admit they need it testing.

Rides
    I would go further and want mandatory retests for everyone every 10 years and for over 50s/60s every 5 years.

Rides
    To be honest i think there should be restest for everyone.

If there was a mandatory re-test every 5 years how many crap drivers do you think we would get of the road.

I also think there should be a restriction in place preventing people re-testing with-out significant lessons between tests.

so maybe 3 chances before another 20 hours of training.

The driving ability is bloody shocking especially when I go around London. Not so much car control but general awareness and common sense!!

What do we all think!?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skidder166 View Post
    If there was a mandatory re-test every 5 years how many crap drivers do you think we would get of the road.
    We'd still have loads of sh1t drivers because of two things :-

1. The standard test is crap and too easy - everyone should have to pass an advanced test within 6 months of the normal one.

2. There are so many people driving around in the UK on foreign licenses.
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideways14a View Post
    I would go further and want mandatory retests for everyone every 10 years and for over 50s/60s every 5 years.
    I'd go with that

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ben8000 View Post
    I'd go with that
    Problem is that 95% of the population will absolutely not vote for a party with a manifesto pledge in a GE that is likely to cause them problems with driving.

Rides
    It'll never happen though purely because it'd have serious ramifications for the economy if loads of people suddenly couldn't drive.

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    You're forgetting about all the people that would be fine on a re-test -Those people that *choose* to drive like complete cnuts... cutting people up / crap lane use / overtaking in stupid places / excessive speeding / jumping lights etc..

They're not going to drive like that if they're being re-tested

Rides
    Fair Fair.

Any thing we fantasize! about is never going to happen anyway. I think we kind of stuck with it to be honest.

Only thing we can do is make the test for young / new driver a lot more challenging.

Rides
    we used to have a customer who popped in now and then for a tyre pressure check, around 80+ of age,
    came in ran over a jack,watering can and a trailer wheel and didnt realise he did it.

it annoys me being stuck behind the elderly driving at 30mph in a national speed limit length of road and slamming on the brakes because they see there junction up ahead. winds me up.

Rides
    Britain is full of bad drivers it ranges from retards to people with foreign license.

The amount of people that have passed a driving test in the last 2-5 years are shocking and cant even do the basics.

Rides
    To be honest, the people that annoy/scare me most on the roads tend to be middle-aged people, they are all either blissfully unaware of the rest of the world or so arrogant that apparently the rest of the world doesn't matter and should get out of their way.
    Middle lanes were apparently built just for their sole use and also my rear bumper was designed as something for them to use as a challenge to see how close they can get to it.

My grandad is 92 now and although his driving isn't perfect, its still a lot safer than a lot of people I see every day when driving to work.
    Last edited by Ghazoobe; 15-12-2011 at 12:40.
    bovvered?

Rides
    Its hard enough to get a test date now.. Imagine if all the drivers on the road were applying for tests.. There is no way the driving test infrastructure could cope with it.. As said, it wont stop the cnuts driving like cnuts.. But I think there should be a test at the age of maybe 60..

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideways14a View Post
    This plus a retest for anyone caught driving like a twat

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghazoobe View Post
    To be honest, the people that annoy/scare me most on the roads tend to be middle-aged people, they are all either blissfully unaware of the rest of the world or so arrogant that apparently the rest of the world doesn't matter and should get out of their way.
    Middle lanes were apparently built just for their sole use and also my rear bumper was designed as something for them to use as a challenge to see how close they can get to it.

My grandad is 92 now and although his driving isn't perfect, its still a lot safer than a lot of people I see every day when driving to work.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff scum View Post
    This plus a retest for anyone caught driving like a twat
    I think this already happens sometimes... I'm sure some dangerous driving offences / drink driving offences can impose this?

Plus there is still the having to retake your test if you get more than 12 points IIRC? (6 if you're within 2 years of passing your test).

Maybe they should just be a bit harsher on how they dish out points?

Rides
    Its usually a "course" where you pay money to avoid points if memory serves......

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by cardiff scum View Post
    Its usually a "course" where you pay money to avoid points if memory serves......
    Not always

I got offered a course but I was only doing 34 in a 30. Theres a limit at which they stop offering the course and it's compulsory to take the points

Plus if you get done for speeding and do the course, if you get caught again within (2 or 3 years?) you have to take the points, can't just opt for the course again.