Thread: peugeot 307 2L HDI cold start trouble

Rides

peugeot 307 2L HDI cold start trouble

our family car has developed a problem now the weather is colder. Basically in the mornings of when left to cool right off I takes 10-15 seconds of turning over before it will start. When its been ran its fine all day.

I had read that the glow plugs are not used above certain temps but the light on the dash comes on every time regardless on the temperature but only stays lit for a second, maybe not even that long.

I've not removed the glow plugs to test them yet but will do this before buying new ones, is there a recommended interval to change glow plugs like you get with spark plugs?

the battery is fine.

what about the fuel pressure or leaky injectors? Diesel stuff is a mistery to me!

anyone got any ideas?

Rides
    are you turning the key and waiting for glow plug light to go out before trying to start it?
    bovvered?

Rides
    If it's similar to the HDI engine in the 306 then they very rarely need to use the plugs to start, can you plug it into a code reader to check for fault codes?

Rides
    I had an issue with mine, 1.6 hdi, a month or so ago. From Peugeot, the glow plugs aren't used at all above -15 degrees c.

There's a priming bulb which can get air in it from leaky injector hoses. The fuel drains back and the system has to pump fuel through to start.

If you plug a cheap code reader in, plug behind the ash tray, I'd bet it's showing low fuel pressure at the rail as the pining system has air in.

They also told me to change the fuel filter which helped.

Try a main dealer, my experience was quite painless.

I'll find the link for reference.

Edit

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=514636

Rides
    Really -15. That does not sound right at all.

Glow plugs are used loads. Makes starting a diesel much easier. Also diesel fuel thickens up when its cold even before -15.

If you have a slow starting diesel typically older diesel with knackered glow plugs then turning the ignition key on to activate the glow plugs - turn of - turn on, youll notice dramatically improved start time due to the two iterations of heat.

But 15 seconds is long. I would def be checking the injectors and pump. Does it still go alright? Lack of power? increased smoke / soot?

Rides
    Honestly, check with Peugeot, -15.

Rides
    Old indirect injection diesels used to use the plugs a lot to get going. Di and common rail don't as the fuel is injected straight into the cylinder.
    It sounds like an injector has high back leak and causing the rail to lose pressure. This Is an injector problem and not an air issue as the overflow side of the injector isn't affected by air, it's basically an exit pipe for unused fuel but when the valve inside gets sticky the rail pressure isn't allowed to build.
    What make of fuel system is on the car? I think it should be Bosch for the 307.
    If it's Bosch then you should check that the main pump is getting a minimum of 1.8 bar feed pressure from the tank pump. If it is slow at building it up it could be a lazy tank pump.

Rides
    If the op has a google search, there are loads of forum threads on the priming bulb system. Only shows up when the car has been stood for a while, air gets in, fuel drains back making starting hard.

Rides
    I will have a search Ron thanks, it still goes ok and is not really sooty. You can see some in the dark with headlights behind if you rev it a bit higher than normal.

I can get it plugged in but its not showing any faults at all, touch wood!

maybe 10-15 secs was a bit of an exageration. I tried it just and it was 6-7 ish. Certainly longer than when its warm anyway.

Jon

Rides
    It is slightly amusing that the priming bulb is still an issue on peugeot diesels.

It's been a problem since the old indirect diesel engines they ran 20 years ago, you'd of thought they'd sort the problem out in that time

Rides
    As far as I know Delphi are the only folk that used a priming pump with common rail as they don't use a tank pump for priming. Only the small engine pug hdi's use a Delphi system.
    The Bosch system on the bigger engines don't use one.

Rides
    I think this is siemens so has one.

Rides
    my old 106 diesel what a right pain to start, when cold you would have to turn it over for about 20 seconds for it to start

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynB85 View Post
    my old 106 diesel what a right pain to start, when cold you would have to turn it over for about 20 seconds for it to start
    Yeah but then you get epic diesel smokes

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Yeah but then you get epic diesel smokes
    You couldn't see the car for smoke