Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another turbo choice question ?

Rides

Another turbo choice question ?

Been a member on here for a few years now and know you guys wont let me down ,....so i'm at h-dev stage 2 and gathering bits together for the next power hike ,when my standard tubby decides its had enough , thinkin of goin gt2871r 86ar with cams and ras ,springs n probably mhg . or . gt3071r with the same accompanying mods as above .

Which will be best and safest to run on standard internals ,allso estimates on power n torque with both set-ups ?

thanks .

Rides
    anybody ?

Rides
    This is always being asked. Im not that up on turbo specs though, so cant help personally

try a quick look at these :

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=517526
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=517281

Also, have a good look through the power figures sticky to see what mods people run for what power.

Rides
    52 trim GT2871R with a .64 housing

Rides
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=123910

Pretty much every combination of mods in this thread.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    52 trim GT2871R with a .64 housing
    Hijack:
    Seet this is what im talking about - what does this mean

Rides
    Yes i've allready read some specs and threads about similar set-ups but was wondering about how laggy they are ? ,allso what typical power n torque outputs can be expected .
    Car is my daily driver so needs to be reliable ,i'd rather make more power with a slightly bigger blower than a smaller one useing loads of boost and thus more stress on the engine .

Opinions please .

Rides
    See this is where personal opinion comes in, as I would rather use a less laggy smaller turbo, than a big moma all or nothing turbo on a daily driver.

From what I read, If i was upgrading, I would be going for the GT2871R - some people see 400hp - and on a daily driver road car, that prob enough !!

Rides
    Trick is with a slightly bigger blower asswell is with it coming on boost abit later i'm not useing boost when i'm at a cruiseing speed so allso better fuel economy on a run , i do about 50 miles a day to n from work so it all helps .

Rides
    You don't make boost when you're cruising anyway, only when the engine is under load.

Rides
    To be honest, I think you want a moon on a stick.

GT2871/3071? That's quite a bit of power.
    Cams and MHG on standard internals. Sure I can't see why it won't work, but you specifically used the word safely as its your daily driver.

I personally wouldn't want massive power like that on a standard engine. It will work, but for how long? Do you have a suitable gearbox? That's in the same boat. Clutch? Brakes?

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Gt2871r .64 with cams, 740's and a decent map should see you near 400bhp atf
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Your all big girls blouses. Skip the gt2871 part and just slam a .86 turbine gt3071 on it.
    Mine makes big power on standard internals and is far from laggy

Rides
    GT3071R with .86a/r turbine housing.
    Will make 400WHP with cams.

And standard internals should be fine if the car is mapped properly.

Rides
    Pointless trying to decide what turbo to buy if you have no end goal.

You need to decide what power/torque you want and how you want it delivered then ask the question of how to achieve that end goal.

People will then suggest turbo options and recommended mods to reach that goal, also if you want a safe build mention it as that will add more mods to the list.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross B View Post
    To be honest, I think you want a moon on a stick.

GT2871/3071? That's quite a bit of power.
    Cams and MHG on standard internals. Sure I can't see why it won't work, but you specifically used the word safely as its your daily driver.

I personally wouldn't want massive power like that on a standard engine. It will work, but for how long? Do you have a suitable gearbox? That's in the same boat. Clutch? Brakes?
    Ok .....well as far as the rest of the car goes we're all done really ,brakes .suspension ,cooling ,handling etc .
    An exedy uprated organic clutch is fitted with an APT lightened flywheel at the mo and handles stage 2 fine but i know i'll need a beefier one with the turbo upgrade .
    As for a target i don't know really ,just want much more shove and sustained with it , lol

having never experienced a 200 with GT2871R 64 or 86 or even GT3071R i'm at a loss as to a decision on turbo ,this is why i'm on here .as you guys have allready done it ,your opinions and experience will hopefully guide me in making the right choice.

thanks

Rides
    my pal runs 387bhp and about 370 torque on stock block with 52 trim 2871 .64 running 18psi ,740 injectors,apexi pfc,and uprated fpr mapped by greg at pro tuner and its like being shot out of a cannon when that boost comes in at 3600

he was running the 86 housing but downsized due to not hitting full boost till 4000

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by drifter_uk View Post
    my pal runs 387bhp and about 370 torque on stock block with 52 trim 2871 .64 running 18psi ,740 injectors,apexi pfc,and uprated fpr mapped by greg at pro tuner and its like being shot out of a cannon when that boost comes in at 3600

he was running the 86 housing but downsized due to not hitting full boost till 4000
    Thankyou mate , thats what i'm looking for .
    Sounds loke a nice set-up , wonder if 400 horses is acheivable with cams ?

more please.

Rides
    So you are after 400BHP ?

Rides
    I'm happy with 375bhp and a similar torque figure, that's roughly 100bhp more than my current st1a setup,
    Currently stage1a
    Planned mods
    Gt2871 small housing fast spool
    Poncams, ras kit, valve springs, retainers, uprated head gasket.
    Uprated manifold, head porting and polishing
    Im banking on my bottom end being being perfect, will have it checked and compression tested before
    I was going to jump straight to st3a with just the bolt on mods but don't believe in uprating a car without getting the engine at least checked and the head sorted. I don't do big mileage and I'm not going to drift it more than once or twice but want it to be strong and take my lead foot