Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A little excited to say the least ( viewing an S14a Sunday)

Rides
    A little update on this, not had much time recently to crack on with this what with helping my mate strip his supra, finally got some time to do a bit of work...

All the bits going in

Block almost stripped, found the main cap bearings to be genuine Nissan bearings, these had started to score even after being in for 3000 miles!

The con rod bearings were ACL which were in good condition, but as I'm replacing the mains and thrust I though I may as well replace these with new also!

New ACL bearings in...

Installed the main caps and crank ladder, installed ARP main stud kit also

Removed old con rod bolts and installed ARP con rod bolts, the installed the pistons back into the block, the pistons had new rings Circa 3000 miles ago and were in VGC so I left this in! Span the crank a few times and it spun smooth ( justa likea silk ) Fitted the head gasket on to the block also...

That's the last of the pics I'm afraid, I started to try and fix a stud that had ripped its thread out of the head, I haven't got the correct size helicoil ATM so I'm having to wait till tomorrow, tomorrow I'll bleed the lash adjusters, sort stripped thread and reinstall the head to the block, hopefully it'll be on the road for easter!

More updates tomorrow

How do I get my thread into the project threads?

Rob

Rides
    Wow, you're really going to town aren't you? Keep us updated. I reckon a moderator will move the thread if you ask nicely .
    Last edited by laze; 24-03-2012 at 22:05.

Rides
    Thanks dude, I plan to make the engine good for a good few years yet, I'm car-less ATM so I can want to hear her fire up ATM

Rides
    Got some more done today, started by trying to remove the lash adjusters, this turned into an absolute nightmare! They didnt want to come out what so ever! Tried removing them with mole grips, forcing air into the hole near each of them, heating etc, wouldn't come out hole except 4, the others split into two pieces and the shell remained. My head has been sitting for a good few years since last used and we believed that where the oil has been sat its caused an almighty suction on the adjuster, are only way was to improvise and make a slide hammer and weld the tip of the home made sliding hammer to the casing of the adjuster!

What was left of the adjuster...

After most of the day messing about with the lash adjusters I finally managed to get a new set bled and installed...

After that I decided to sort a few bits out on the car itself, getting things ready to be installed etc so no pics of this, next up to tackle is this...

Needs a heli-coil put in it but as I'm working for the next 6 days I'm not going to have time to get down to my mates unit and get this done, so my mate will be sorting this for me so that when I go down next Sunday my heads ready to go on and be built back up!

Also before I left I spotted that a coil pack bolt has sheered off in the cam cover, not sure what I want to do with this as its been sprayed blue and I dont really like the colour much, so I may decide to get this powder coated once the bolts been sorted or maybe swap with someone on here if they fancy it

That's all for now and probably until next Sunday!

Rides
    More updates, managed to get the stud sorted and the heads finally going back on...

Bolted down by ARP's...

Rocker arms in...

Cams in and chained up...

And this is how she's is fitting now...

Tomorrow the upper sump and 5.0 baffled sump will be installed, the cam cover needs a coil pack bolt drilled out as it has previously been sheered, then refit that, then install the intake and turbo and hopefully it'll be ready to put into the car

Hoping by the tail end of Sunday it'll be in running so I can get a MOT Monday so I can get back some of the Easter weekend!

Rides
    More updates!

Finally got the engine ready to go back in...

Then started to fit it into the car...

Most of its fitted now, gearbox is in and bolted up, new exhaust down pipe is on with decat, all the inlet plugs etc are on, fuel lines sorted , engine mounts are tight.

What's left to do...

Fit intercooler pipes, one needs a nipple welding on for waste gate, I'm running "pidgeon" so no BOV!
    Refit battery as its on charge
    Fill with oil
    Add coolant
    Fit inlet pipe and filter etc
    Undertrays
    New alloys

After that, crank it, to circulate oil, put spark plugs in and coil packs/ loom and hopefully she'll fire over! :P

Can't wait!!

Rides

Rides
    Fantastic work there mate!

Keep it up!

Rides
    Thanks bud

Rides
    This is a really detailed build and great for anyone that hasn't seen inside an engine before.

Rides
    Very nice.

Do you need a new rear bumper? I've got on in my shed that I don't need. Just needs painting. Yours for FREE if you come collect it . I'm in Romford Essex

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by laze View Post
    This is a really detailed build and great for anyone that hasn't seen inside an engine before.
    Thanks bud, queenly happy with it

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    Very nice.

Do you need a new rear bumper? I've got on in my shed that I don't need. Just needs painting. Yours for FREE if you come collect it . I'm in Romford Essex
    I do, I've already got one coming with a door in blue though! If that falls through I'll definitely take it as I can pop by and see my mate in Romford at the same time

Thanks

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by RobD View Post
    I do, I've already got one coming with a door in blue though! If that falls through I'll definitely take it as I can pop by and see my mate in Romford at the same time

Thanks
    No worries then. Just drop me a message if you do need it .

Rides
    Will do thanks

Passed its mot today, waiting for the insurance certificate to come through and then tax and I can run the engine in

Rides
    A little update on this now, the car has had 100 miles put on it, oil change and now it's 50 miles into the next block of miles before another oil change! The engine itself is sounding good, had a problem where it was hesitating on boost, turned out to be a dirty AFM, so that's sorted!

Also noticed on the MOT that the steering rack bushes were quite worn so I swapped these out with some Apex Poly bushes, for £31 delivered its transformed the steering and has made it feel a lot more planted! Really happy with them

Next up, I've got to sort the front brakes, they're binding ever so slightly and making the brakes squeal when warm, so I think I'll be getting some DB power brakes in the not to distant future, also I want the front sitting a bit better so Ill try get some Coilovers, as my holiday is fast approaching I'm not sure I'll get them before though!

Also I need to make the drivers seat lower, I'm 6'4 and my head is touching the roof unless the seat back is right back, then it's to comfortable to drive! so I think a nice set of leather buckets and low rails will be on order soon after the holiday!

After all that boost controller, H-Dev stage 1a chip!

Rides
    Great work rob, good to see another 200back on the road.

Rides
    It took you a few months to do what i did in 2 and a half years lol.

Rides
    Why so long? It would've been quicker if it weren't for fitting it around work! Glad it's done now though, I can get on with enjoying it

Rides
    Another little update, clear front indicators, managed to get hold of a Blitz Uras SBC yesterday for a good price also so that's going in today!

I've got clear wing indicators to go on also but I need to find time to swap the front drivers wing over as its gone milky