81 69.83%
  • Agree with the action

23 19.83%
  • fence

12 10.34%
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: so the strikes tomorrow

Rides
    You do know that the nhs already use performance measures, kpi's etc right?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Prior View Post
    How do you do that in the case of a NHS psychiatrist, or surgeon, or nurse for instance. And what about teachers? how do you accurately measure a childs progression in school without resorting to crude exam results.
    You have to give people incentives.

An NHS Psychiatrist could be rewarded by actually treating people successfully rather than "putting someone through the system" - yes I know someone who went through the system and was released from treatment only to try an kill himself in front of a train. I pulled him off the tracks and took him back to Barnet Psychiatric only to be told they wouldn't take him back.

Nurse's can be encouraged to provide better care. There are some amazing nurses in the system and there are those that are dissillusioned and will leave a patient in a manner not fitting.

However.... the problem is it needs to come top down. We should have the very best people to work at the top and we "The country's share holders" should have the ability to reward someone doing a great job and sack someone who isn't.

e.g. Give the Chancellor a 10 or 20 million bonus for getting the country's economy to a good state and pay them a standard MP Salary...... and nothing more if they fail.

Here's the question. using the chancellor again as an example, does he have enough time to fulfill his constituents duties? If not, should he be paid a full MP salary when he is clearly not doing that job?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    You do know that the nhs already use performance measures, kpi's etc right?
    Im well aware and for the most part they are a pile of sh*t.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by TrIcK^ View Post
    I think your misunderstanding this. If you sign up for union membership you gain the so called benefits. This will include legal help as well as voting rights etc.
    So when an issue like this arises you have a voice at the ballot box. Now whether you vote or not you are expected to abide the ballot decision, that's the point and without that understanding it renders the whole point void.
    And this is why it is considered a big issue if you go against the ballot vote. Now I'm not condoning the comments in that "letter" whether true or not but I can understand them if I find them a bit twattsh. If you sign up for the union then do your part and accept the majority choice.
    If your not a part of the union then you have not given any obligation, do as you wish.
    Why was I a scab when royal mail went on strike but I didn't because I couldn't I'd just started wasn't in the union and had to do work while everyone else sat on their arses getting their job done for them by me! They are the scabs I'm a worker who just wanted to keep my job while everyone else was losing theirs
    Unions should be banned IMO, they help keep lazy idiots in jobs, I know they do occasionally do something right 1 in every 10 sackings that get over turned might be someone who genuinely didn't deserve it whereas the other 9 do and get off for things they should have been binned for

Rides
    Im well aware and for the most part they are a pile of sh*t.
    Perhaps, but the point is that it proves that their performance can be measured and rewarded. Which you have said that it can't be measured.

If you want further evidence if I have time at work, I will happily give you a detailed report on each job title you had given, detailing how they can be measured, what areas and the potential benefits from each performance measure

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by AshT_200 View Post
    You have to give people incentives.

An NHS Psychiatrist could be rewarded by actually treating people successfully rather than "putting someone through the system" - yes I know someone who went through the system and was released from treatment only to try an kill himself in front of a train. I pulled him off the tracks and took him back to Barnet Psychiatric only to be told they wouldn't take him back.

Nurse's can be encouraged to provide better care. There are some amazing nurses in the system and there are those that are dissillusioned and will leave a patient in a manner not fitting.
    How can you think that the complexities of mental illness can be cured by by giving a psychiatrist an incentive to heal them. I'm not the biggest fan of the mental health services in this country, which is a result of having to clean up the mess left when its gone ultimately wrong, but its just ludacris to think incentives & bonuses would work.

And nurses dont need to be encouraged to provide better care, they need somebody with ultimate responsibility for the ward or department to crack the whip and make sure things are done correctly and efficiently.

Rides
    Perhaps, but the point is that it proves that their performance can be measured and rewarded. Which you have said that it can't be measured.

If you want further evidence if I have time at work, I will happily give you a detailed report on each job title you had given, detailing how they can be measured, what areas and the potential benefits from each performance measure
    I bet you could. They tried KPIs with me, one was to give out a certain amount of traffic tickets per month. I told them to foxtrot oscar.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by itrhondaboy View Post
    Why was I a scab
    You were not, so why are you asking me to explain it to you as though I'm some pro union man sending 'scab' letters? And by calling your colleagues who stood for what they believed in 'scabs' you do realise you're just as bad as the arseholes who probably gave you a bit of shit?

Pretty sure I have said this many moons ago in a differing thread. Unions are good, they have helped give us ALL rights as employees that we take for granted, read some history. The problem as with ALL things in life is the ****wits who run them and the ****wits who join them.

Rides
    How can you think that the complexities of mental illness can be cured by by giving a psychiatrist an incentive to heal them. I'm not the biggest fan of the mental health services in this country, which is a result of having to clean up the mess left when its gone ultimately wrong, but its just ludacris to think incentives & bonuses would work.

And nurses dont need to be encouraged to provide better care, they need somebody with ultimate responsibility for the ward or department to crack the whip and make sure things are done correctly and efficiently.
    Everyone needs encouragement, otherwise we may as well go back to slavery. At the moment this country is in the mindset of rewarding failure... mostly at the top but works just as well through all the ranks. People see Fred Goodwin get such a massive compense for bringing RBS to it's knees and think why should I bother....

As for Psychiatrists? How about weeding out those who pretend to be too stressed to work and milk the taxpayer for all it's worth... I know people who go to Doctor's / shrinks, turn on the tears and because it is easier, get signed off for benefits....

Nurses who would far rather chat to their mates at the station than assist a patient who really needs their help....

Firefighters who turn up to their shift too drunk to help put the fire out although they managed to drive the engine there...

Don't get me started on councillors....

Now tell me that these people should be rewarded
    Last edited by AshT_200; 04-12-2011 at 17:30.

Rides
    I bet you could. They tried KPIs with me, one was to give out a certain amount of traffic tickets per month. I told them to foxtrot oscar.
    Lol. I think, in fairness, Police and teachers are probably the hardest to introduce kpi's to.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by TrIcK^ View Post

Pretty sure I have said this many moons ago in a differing thread. Unions are good, they have helped give us ALL rights as employees that we take for granted, read some history. The problem as with ALL things in life is the ****wits who run them and the ****wits who join them.
    Most sensible thing yet

On my reward schem.. How about rewarding Union bosses who get things right and nothing apart from a wage who don't.

Rides
    An overwhelming amount of public sector work is to do with dealing and interacting with people, often without an end 'product'. the private sector produces or sells something.

This lack of a product means you cant start putting private sector business rules in public sector work.

Not sure about that, there are many a role in the private section that are support based with associated KPI's. Customer satisfaction, review by peers, independent reports etc My biggest issue with the public sector (not including fireman, nurses, teachers etc) is the lack competition and reward for mediocrity. Working in the private sector I have to ensure I'm better than the next man, if I loose my accounts I need to start looking for a new job it's that simple - I have no safety net and funnily enough, I have to sort my own pension.

Imagine what would happen if the country went the way of Greece, the unions wouldn't get a choice.

Rides
    Lol. I think, in fairness, Police and teachers are probably the hardest to introduce kpi's to.
    No, it's the fcukwits who set them.....

Like I said it needs to come from the top down...

Rides
    Everyone needs encouragement, otherwise we may as well go back to slavery. At the moment this country is in the mindset of rewarding failure... mostly at the top but works just as well through all the ranks. People see Fred Goodwin get such a massive compense for bringing RBS to it's knees and think why should I bother....

As for Psychiatrists? How about weeding out those who pretend to be too stressed to work and milk the taxpayer for all it's worth... I know people who go to Doctor's / shrinks, turn on the tears and because it is easier, get signed off for benefits....

What encouragement do you think i get at work to do the job i do? I don't get bonuses so its the stick rather then the carrot. The main thing that keeps me in the job is the stability and pension. Since both of those will be gone in 10 years its going to be very hard to find a reason why i should stand out in -5 weather babysitting drunks or having knives pulled on me.

You cant start giving psychiatrists and doctors cash bonuses to say people are too healthy to receive incapacity, that's very dangerous ground.

Nurses who would far rather chat to their mates at the station than assist a patient who really needs their help....

Firefighters who turn up to their shift too drunk to help put the fire out although they managed to drive the engine there...

Don't get me started on councillors....

1) a matron.
    2) how many firemen do you know who turn up to work pissed? Theres sub officers to tackle that kind of thing
    3) we elected them, vote them out
    Last edited by Prior; 04-12-2011 at 17:40.

Rides
    No, it's the fcukwits who set them.....

Like I said it needs to come from the top down...
    What performance measures would you set for the two professions I mentioned? Bearing in mind the massive variables that are out of their hands?

Rides
    What encouragement do you think i get at work to do the job i do? I don't get bonuses so its the stick rather then the carrot. The main thing that keeps me in the job is the stability and pension. Since both of those will be gone in 10 years its going to be very hard to find a reason why i should stand out in -5 weather babysitting drunks or having knives pulled on me.

You cant start giving psychiatrists and doctors cash bonuses to say people are too healthy to receive incapacity, that's very dangerous ground.
    Neither do I, no bonus or perks beyond a salary each month. As for motivation, motivation for me is ensuring I keep my job because I'm sure that if I don't evolve there are many people out there who could do my job for less.

Rides

I'm not the person to ask, but there must be a way to weed out the bad apples and reward those who do a good job.

Or we just accept the way things are.... continue to pay people for doing a bad job (In some cases)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sroberts View Post
    Neither do I, no bonus or perks beyond a salary each month. As for motivation, motivation for me is ensuring I keep my job because I'm sure that if I don't evolve there are many people out there who could do my job for less.
    My motivation is ensuring somebody stays alive or that i don't get jailed myself.

I'm not the person to ask, but there must be a way to weed out the bad apples and reward those who do a good job.

Or we just accept the way things are.... continue to pay people for doing a bad job (In some cases)
    Or having each person who claims incapacity has 3 separate and independent medical assessments.
    Last edited by Prior; 04-12-2011 at 17:47.

Rides
    What performance measures would you set for the two professions I mentioned? Bearing in mind the massive variables that are out of their hands?
    There are massive variables out of my hands, but still manage to continue doing a good job.....

It's with any job, you set your targets and somethimes have to adjust for variance

Rides
    My motivation is ensuring somebody stays alive or that i don't get jailed myself.

Or having each person who claims incapacity has 3 separate and independent medical assessments.
    And that you will get to retire with a decent pension......

That is until it gets taken away