• Agree with the action

23 19.83%
  • fence

12 10.34%
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: so the strikes tomorrow

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by AshT_200 View Post
    And that you will get to retire with a decent pension......

That is until it gets taken away
    And bingo. The thread has done a full circle and we arrive back at the original problem

Remove the incentives, the perks, the motivation, and what will happen to the quality of the personnel joining?

It'll end up as a very tough job with average pay, and no perks. Who will want to do that!? Better off working at Tesco with no stress in that case...

(and that last line is the 18th issue we currently have - attitude to it all)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Prior View Post
    My motivation is ensuring somebody stays alive or that i don't get jailed myself.
    And that is right but unfortunately the public sector worker I've had the misfortune to come into contact with, the actual job is secondary to having an easy life and perks, and those are unbefitting there efforts. Public sector should reflect private, do a good job you earn the rewards and the useless are found out.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by TrIcK^ View Post
    You were not, so why are you asking me to explain it to you as though I'm some pro union man sending 'scab' letters? And by calling your colleagues who stood for what they believed in 'scabs' you do realise you're just as bad as the arseholes who probably gave you a bit of shit?

Pretty sure I have said this many moons ago in a differing thread. Unions are good, they have helped give us ALL rights as employees that we take for granted, read some history. The problem as with ALL things in life is the ****wits who run them and the ****wits who join them.
    A bit of shit! I had to leave the abuse was that bad! For what doing as I had to

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Clouder_sx View Post
    Remove the incentives, the perks, the motivation, and what will happen to the quality of the personnel joining?
    How does the private sector work?? Some of the companies in the private sectors are amongst the best in the world within there field, yet they survive, they encourage, they develop staff without the approach of the public sector. Competition increases the quality of staff.

Rides
    And bingo. The thread has done a full circle and we arrive back at the original problem

It'll end up as a very tough job with average pay, and no perks. Who will want to do that!? Better off working at Tesco with no stress in that case...

(and that last line is the 18th issue we currently have - attitude to it all)
    And there is no incentive for performance......

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sroberts View Post
    How does the private sector work?? Some of the companies in the private sectors are amongst the best in the world within there field, yet they survive, they encourage, they develop staff without the approach of the public sector. Competition increases the quality of staff.
    Because they aren't always performing a PUBLIC duty, it's often totally different.

You can try and apply the same ideas, and sometimes it might work, but it's likely to have a more direct impact on peoples lives, than whether Mr X knocks out 47 units a month opposed to 38

Look at Priors example of handing out parking fines. "get 40 a month or you're going on a 3-month warning, then you're out". So he gets 40 a month to make his target. The majority of decisions in the public sector would have direct impacts on peoples lives, whether that's through targeting nurses for quantity of patients seen, targeting teachers to get absurd results out of students, etc, etc.

I totally agree with the competition idea, with you on that, it needs to be a factor where possible, to rid the useless people but do you realise, taking just one example here, how short the country are of secondary maths teachers? Let alone good ones and why? What can be done to reverse that? I don't have the answers by the way.

I'm not in my job for competition or to become an over-paid, target-driven manager milking all my colleagues for what they're worth - that might work on a production line, it doesn't mean it would work everywhere else

Rides
    Because they aren't always performing a PUBLIC duty, it's often totally different.
    And here is the problem.

Seriously you don't think that just because people perform in the private sector they aren't performing a PUBLIC duty. they increase wealth / taxation / pension investments for everyone to enjoy..... if it wasn't for that, the government would be asking for considerably more than an extra £100 a month....

You can try and apply the same ideas, and sometimes it might work, but it's likely to have a more direct impact on peoples lives, than whether Mr X knocks out 47 units a month opposed to 38

Look at Priors example of handing out parking fines. "get 40 a month or you're going on a 3-month warning, then you're out". So he gets 40 a month to make his target. The majority of decisions in the public sector would have direct impacts on peoples lives, whether that's through targeting nurses for quantity of patients seen, targeting teachers to get absurd results out of students, etc, etc.

I totally agree with the competition idea, with you on that, it needs to be a factor where possible, to rid the useless people but do you realise, taking just one example here, how short the country are of secondary maths teachers? Let alone good ones and why? What can be done to reverse that? I don't have the answers by the way.

I'm not in my job for competition or to become an over-paid, target-driven manager milking all my colleagues for what they're worth - that might work on a production line, it doesn't mean it would work everywhere else
    Take Prior's example, perhaps it would make the public think twice about misdemeanours.........

Like I said though, it needs to come from the top down. You can't expect the indians to have performance related pay if the chiefs get away scot free.

Give people the freedom to do their job and reward them for success... you cannot expect results if you tie one hand behind their back

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I think you'll find to be on even a half decent wage in a supermarket it's more than a little stressful tbh
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    I did say a 'direct' affect on the public. Of course the vast majority of private sector jobs do have an impact on the public in some way, but often not as immediate or directly

Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    I think you'll find to be on even a half decent wage in a supermarket it's more than a little stressful tbh
    Am of course totally aware of that mate, sorry should have explained myself better I was of course referring to a stress-free role, and was using a supermarket chain as an example of a generic low-paid job, which doesn't include management I know just how stressy and target driven middle management in retail can be.
    Last edited by Clouder_sx; 04-12-2011 at 18:31.

Rides
    As Ash mentioned, we all perform a PUBLIC service. If I over perform, we pay more tax and in doing so support the county which in turn provides the funds to offer front line services.

I agree, hence my previous comment on nurses teachers etc. My issue is with the 'fat' across the public sector. Ex-public sector workers are the only candidates I've come across who are not pro-active and interested in developing but will ask 'what are the perks' prior to attending any interview, my response, the perk is a job. And for me, its the mind set that seams to systemic across the public sector.
    Last edited by sroberts; 04-12-2011 at 18:53.

Rides
    I did say a 'direct' affect on the public. Of course the vast majority of private sector jobs do have an impact on the public in some way, but often not as immediate or directly
    Only until you retire.....

Rides
    Only until you retire.....
    Lol, spot on

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sroberts View Post
    As Ash mentioned, we all perform a PUBLIC service. If I over perform, we pay more tax and in doing so support the county which in turn provides the funds to offer front line services.

I agree, hence my previous comment on nurses teachers etc. My issue is with the 'fat' across the public sector. Ex-public sector workers are the only candidates I've come across who are not pro-active and interested in developing but will ask 'what are the perks' prior to attending any interview, my response, the perk is a job. And for me, its the mind set that seams to systemic across the public sector.
    I disagree with the perks... but maybe I'm different from the general populus... the perk is the opportunity to better oneself.... I'm not staying in my current position. my next goal is to be Senior Analyst then Principal Analyst, which total 15 globally. May not mean much to others but does to me.. And with each increment comes more money, but I have to earn that....

As to the fat.. make all of them redundant and reapply for their own jobs...... only problem is, do that too much, the population would vote labour in and it all goes back to square one

Rides
    I disagree with the perks... but maybe I'm different from the general populus... the perk is the opportunity to better oneself.... I'm not staying in my current position. my next goal is to be Senior Analyst then Principal Analyst, which total 15 globally. May not mean much to others but does to me.. And with each increment comes more money, but I have to earn that....

As to the fat.. make all of them redundant and reapply for their own jobs...... only problem is, do that too much, the population would vote labour in and it all goes back to square one
    Again I agree with that, I don't think we disagree (I edited my post), its the definition of perk. Perk for me is the forum to develop, the scope for an individual to demonstrate a desire to evolve and challenge the status quo. Which in turn is rewarded financially. In short, performance related pay, excel and you add a little extra to your pension fund