Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Orange customers price update?

Rides

Angry Orange customers price update?

Today I have a text off orange saying they have to put there prices up by 4.34% which I'm not very pleased about this has anyone else had the text?

Orange very kindly link you to this link http://link.orangeworld.co.uk/studio...es/planupdate/

I've had a quick flick through my contact and found a section on this saying I have the right to end my contact early without penalty if they put the prices up suddenly and means I still have 14 months to go I want to end or at least keep it the same price.

So what should I do now?

ages since I had a good argument with a large company

Rides
    I've had the same message , I thought if u have a contract surely the price should stay the same

Rides
    theres a clause in the contract that 'you void the right to cancel if the rise is less than inflation'

BUT im not so sure thats legal.....my mrs got the same message and is ringing orange to argue legal jargon tomorrow and also ringing ofcom to check with them as they state that any changes and you must be given a right to cancel.

ill update tomorrow if there is any more info.
    http://sxoc.com/vbb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11238&dateline=1227414084
    Quote Originally Posted by S14 Stu View Post
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

Rides
    mrs got this too, but not me?

her contracts not up till feb, but would be nice if she could cancel early and have a new phone for a crimbo pressy to herself

Rides
    I really hope I can stop it and get a new phone IPHONE 4S time

Rides
    This might answer your question on stopping your contract

"Can I cancel my contract because you're increasing my monthly service charge?

No, our Pay Monthly terms and conditions allow us to increase charges by up to the RPI figure in any 12 month period. The increase in the price plan charges is less than the 5.4% rate of inflation as measured by the Retail Price Index (RPI) in October 2011.

We can increase prices at any time on giving proper notice. In this case, the increase is less than the current rate of inflation and our terms and conditions state that we can do this without giving you the right to cancel your contract without paying the disconnection fee.

You'll find the details in section 4.3 and 15."

C*NTS

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanOrr View Post
    This might answer your question on stopping your contract

"Can I cancel my contract because you're increasing my monthly service charge?

No, our Pay Monthly terms and conditions allow us to increase charges by up to the RPI figure in any 12 month period. The increase in the price plan charges is less than the 5.4% rate of inflation as measured by the Retail Price Index (RPI) in October 2011.

We can increase prices at any time on giving proper notice. In this case, the increase is less than the current rate of inflation and our terms and conditions state that we can do this without giving you the right to cancel your contract without paying the disconnection fee.

You'll find the details in section 4.3 and 15."

C*NTS
    as per my post above - reading on offcom suggests that they cant say that or rather they can say it, but not legally hold you to it. will find out from the horses mouth tomorrow.

TBH if they can increase it so long as its under inflation then that stinks imho
    http://sxoc.com/vbb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11238&dateline=1227414084
    Quote Originally Posted by S14 Stu View Post
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

Rides
    not the first or the last time orange will do this.

terrible company.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Fake Ben Taylor View Post
    as per my post above - reading on offcom suggests that they cant say that or rather they can say it, but not legally hold you to it. will find out from the horses mouth tomorrow.

TBH if they can increase it so long as its under inflation then that stinks imho
    True
    Fingers crossed you can get somewhere with it though

Rides
    I haven't had this text either. is it just certain price plans?

Rides
    Jesus, that's appalling!! So, technically, they could increase it TWICE by up to 5.4% on a 24 month plan - good to see the regulators doing a good job as ever

Gah, after reading the paper today, am getting so ****ed off with what's going on at the mo

Down in the foam, playing with the string...
    Rides
    I haven't had this either. Just upgraded too with a nice deal. Would be a shame to lose it but I'm not willing to pay more than I am at the moment - I'd prefer to pay less (but wouldn't we all?!)

Will wait and see. Interested to hear what happens with Hannah though, Ben.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Was sat with a mate at lunch yesterday when she received this message. Needless to say she was less than impressed.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    I have to see what the guy that does all the legal work in the office thinks.

But I think the idea of a contract is the terms are agreed ie you agreed to pay x amount for a service they provide otherwise its pointless having the piece of paper if they are going to change it.

not that I ever signed my contract forgot

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -ghost- View Post
    But I think the idea of a contract is the terms are agreed ie you agreed to pay x amount for a service they provide otherwise its pointless having the piece of paper if they are going to change it.
    thing is though .... the piece of paper you signed (or didnt sign) says they can increase the price ... the "terms and conditions allow them to increase charges by up to the RPI figure in any 12 month period. The increase in the price plan charges is less than the 5.4% rate of inflation as measured by the Retail Price Index (RPI) in October 2011."

you signed (or didnt sign) saying you agree to a price hike under this if they wish to increase it

Rides
    Johnny just cuz Its in the T&Cs don't mean its the law

I could change my company T&Cs to "If you don't pay we will send heavies around to break your legs" but that doesn't make it legal or right

it seems the law is on the customers side for once

I'm going to try this

I have spoken with OfCom and Orange Mobile Executive Office this lunchtime.

OfCom are clear that Section 9.6 of the Telecoms Act 2003 is applicable to all charges and that a service provider must give the option to terminate. These are the customer's rights in law, regardless of what Orange Terms and Conditions are. As the news story says, this price rise in materially detrimental and customers should have the option to terminate.

Orange Mobile Executive Office responded by claiming that that clause of the Act does not apply to monthly tariffs. They also said that their rise had been 'run by' OfCom. I put this point back to OfCom, who were clear that it does apply (it applies to all parts of a pricing structure) and that they had not been consulted.

I am awaiting the written reply from Orange before taking this up with the Communications and Internet Services Adjudication Scheme (CISAS), who would adjudicate on the matter.

Read it for yourself: Scroll to Section 9.6 of the Telecoms Act 2003 on OfCom website (I cannot post links yet, as new user).

Call OfCom - the more, the better 020 7981 3040.

Edit: they seem very busy still on hold 12 mins in

EDIT!!!! I won with a push they will end the contract but I got mine down to £23.50 a month 600min and 3000 texts 500mb internet runs out in may so I saved about 60 quid
    Last edited by -ghost-; 30-11-2011 at 10:54. Reason: on the phone to orange updated=)

Rides
    scratch that. I've just got the message through aswell. shall be having a look at other contracts tonight

Rides
    Phone and moan and they will do it cheaper just keep saying about ofcom

£60 saved on mine

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -ghost- View Post
    EDIT!!!! I won with a push they will end the contract but I got mine down to £23.50 a month 600min and 3000 texts 500mb internet runs out in may so I saved about 60 quid
    So they wanted to put your bill up by 5% to make an extra £1.50 a month, say. And now they've cost themselves far more than that FAILcompany

Rides
    just spoke to offcom and they essentially said the above qouted link word for word lol

phonecall to orange me thinks!