Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone running LPG ?

Rides
    LPG may be a higher octane, but it's also has a different calorific value and burns slower, so you tend to need to advance the timing by 5deg to get the best performance (not many kits have a timing advance module built in). the BRC kit I had in my 200sx DID have such a module built in, but my BRC qualified installer didn't have a clue how to set it up...

50deg heat increase on a 800deg cylinder is nearly a 10% increase.. I'd say that's worth monitoring and not assuming it would be fine, but then the whole point of having my install was to save money, not to push the boundaries of performance at the risk of an engine problem and I ran a BRC Fast unit without any 'lube' for years without any problems, so I'd agree it's not necessary.

Of course, the small advantage of a vaporiser LPg system is that it's water heated, which when pushed hard actually works as a water cooler as the LPG expands! Don't forget to have a thick a pipe from the tank fitted as possible (else you'll be looking at a 4k rev limit on gas) and for got sake don't let them drill a hole in your bodywork. I have mine installed behind my number plate, which was on hinges - James Bond stylee.

Good luck, but don't get carried away chasing figures on LPG, it's meant to save you money after all, so do realistic savings calculations before going ahead!

Rich

Rides
    Stag do a stand alone unit to advance the timing with it's own independent map, probably work on other systems as well.

p_tap_02_318__1_4c09572071017.jpg

http://www.ac.com.pl/en/produkt/318/tap-02

I got a quote a while back for a Stag system to run 350bhp with the filler behind the reg plate for £950 which I thought was good value.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Richy_Boy View Post
    LPG may be a higher octane, but it's also has a different calorific value and burns slower, so you tend to need to advance the timing by 5deg to get the best performance (not many kits have a timing advance module built in). the BRC kit I had in my 200sx DID have such a module built in, but my BRC qualified installer didn't have a clue how to set it up...

50deg heat increase on a 800deg cylinder is nearly a 10% increase.. I'd say that's worth monitoring and not assuming it would be fine, but then the whole point of having my install was to save money, not to push the boundaries of performance at the risk of an engine problem and I ran a BRC Fast unit without any 'lube' for years without any problems, so I'd agree it's not necessary.

Of course, the small advantage of a vaporiser LPg system is that it's water heated, which when pushed hard actually works as a water cooler as the LPG expands! Don't forget to have a thick a pipe from the tank fitted as possible (else you'll be looking at a 4k rev limit on gas) and for got sake don't let them drill a hole in your bodywork. I have mine installed behind my number plate, which was on hinges - James Bond stylee.

Good luck, but don't get carried away chasing figures on LPG, it's meant to save you money after all, so do realistic savings calculations before going ahead!

Rich
    I will monitor temps and report back.

Im never going to save enough to reach payback. It will make me use the vehicle more tho so if i worked that into it.

I am doing it more for an experiment and to see if an increased performance over petrol is viable. The installer has the support of the manufacture on this install so any problems should quickly be overcome.

All the problems uve mentioned have already been spotted by eitger myself, other forum users and the installer.

We will have the filler behind rear plate on folding 007 bracket.

The pick up will be at the rear of the tank so heavy acceleration doesnt cause fuel starvation.

Two 8mm pipes will be run from front to back.

Lpg ecu will be installed in either glock box or next to standard ecu. To minimize engine bay clutter.

System will look oem basiclly.

We will be using the brown (biggest) injectors prins do which are an extra 60each over the usual ones.

Im looking forward too it.
    Last edited by FireStorm; 19-06-2012 at 07:01.