Thread: To Referb or not to referb??

Rides

To Referb or not to referb??

Well been wanting to get my R33s looking a little better - they are not terrible but have curb rash on all and some pitting that has picked up the dirt.

Went to get a quote on getting them fully refurbished (went to here http://www.reinventingthewheel.co.uk...ewkesbury.html).

Looks like they do a good job but its costly. £75 for a full wheel in a standard silver and £85 for a full wheel in something a little fancier. All include wheel balancing etc. (this is nut just a face lift treatment it is full chemical dip and grinding etc)

Now I haven't looked anywhere else to see if I can get a better price but its given me the dilemma of should I spend the cash getting them refurbished or spend the cash I would have spent + the money gained for selling the R33s and get something else in mint condition? I guess I money would be equivalent to about £700 for a set with decent tyres.

View on

1. Replenishment cost
    2. Places to go round Gloucestershire for referb
    3. Something else to go for

Rides
    that sounds pretty good with wheels fitted and balanced too. A place near me is 50 for plain wheels powdercoated whatever colour you want but then you need to get the tyres removed and refitted which would be 10 per wheel too. So 60 total. I'm not sure if they do wheel repairs or just straight strip and repainting.

Rides
    http://www.lepsons.com/

These guys did my Enkei RPF1's in flat black, brilliant quality work. They paint them too, rather than powder coat but the paint quality is very good and they repair any marks on the wheels. They're only in Swindon too, so depending on where in Gloucester you are, it could be worth the drive. £48 + vat each wheel and £5+vat for tyre removal and £5+vat for refit and balance. I did them twice there as the other half kurbed one of my fronts earlier in the year.

Rides
    That pricing does seem pretty good to me. When I got one of my wheels done on my old Megane that was £50 for a colour match finish with the other 3 wheels.

I wouldn't mind getting my R33s done at some point as they could do with a bit of TLC.

I suppose on the replacement side of things, it comes down to whether you have seen any wheels that have really taken your fancy and that you like more than the R33s?

If it were me then the only wheels I would consider are Rota Grids or GTRs or some Ultralight Nurburgs, however I really think the R33s suit the 200 down to the ground, and a bonus being that they are OEM Nissan as well is pretty cool

Rides
    Nice one guys. The price was about what I was thinking but only really started considering the alternatives when I really thought about the cost properly. DO love the R33s so would have to be something special to go else where.

I was thinking about going for the black / dark silver finish - looks mostly silver on the face and then darker down the side of the spokes. As it was described to me a black wheel with silver over the top - looks a bit carbonish. Will see if I can find a pic and get some views.

Rides
    I have decided what it is I like now and that is the 5 twin spokes of the R33. Gonna have a look around and see whats similar.

Rides
    There's a guy down our way that repairs and powder coats a set for 180 (or thereabouts) all in and he does a very good job, removes tyres/repairs/coats and then re-fits tyres and balances them for that in a 2 day turnaround. Lepson's are very good but don't work out too cheap once everything is factored in...

This is him:
    http://www.inspraytionsmartrepair.co...urbishment.asp

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanS15 View Post
    There's a guy down our way that repairs and powder coats a set for 180 (or thereabouts) all in and he does a very good job, removes tyres/repairs/coats and then re-fits tyres and balances them for that in a 2 day turnaround. Lepson's are very good but don't work out too cheap once everything is factored in...

This is him:
    http://www.inspraytionsmartrepair.co...urbishment.asp
    Cheers for that. Bit of a trek from Chelt though. But useful as a comparison.

Rides
    Cool, sorry but I saw lepsons mentioned and assumed you were local

Rides
    I get a full set of 17/18's refurbished, shot blast, repair and powder coat for £140 wheels have to be supplied tyre-less though always very pleased with the results

I would never pay more than £40 per wheel for powder coating.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by NEMESIS GUY View Post
    I get a full set of 17/18's refurbished, shot blast, repair and powder coat for £140 wheels have to be supplied tyre-less though always very pleased with the results.
    Any details?

Si

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by NEMESIS GUY View Post
    I get a full set of 17/18's refurbished, shot blast, repair and powder coat for £140 wheels have to be supplied tyre-less though always very pleased with the results

I would never pay more than £40 per wheel for powder coating.
    Yeah - where abouts?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanS15 View Post
    Cool, sorry but I saw lepsons mentioned and assumed you were local

No worries all info welcome.