Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Android tablets

Rides

Android tablets

Can anyone recommend a cheap Android tablet under £200?
    There seem to loads on ebay, are the cheap one rubbish?

Rides
    You can get a Motorola XOOM for 250 which I have and would recommend. The cheaper ones dont have the performance to run smoothly. Also go android 3 as lot of cheap are 2.2 or 2.3 and its just not as good.

Rides
    Do they have gps? It would be nice to have a big screen satnav for our motorhome

Rides
    yes

Rides
    Also interested...Mrs wants one for crimbo

Rides
    Yep, the xoom has GPS, get the Torque app too and you have a massive 10 inch of geeky monitoring of all things ECU

xoom link for spec :

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US...WiFi-US-EN.alt

Rides
    Where can you get a Xoom for £250??

Most places I've looked are well over £300

Rides
    i just did a search on ebay, will check again - and your right, the ones i saw are refurbished or used but they are down at 230 - 260.

Rides
    Probably not very good, but for the price its gotta be worth a try...
    http://www.ebuyer.com/287638-scroll-...ablet-pc-53511
    bovvered?

Rides
    Silly cheap Android tablets are a false econamy IMO, if anything they'll put you off tablets from their shonky design and dodgy software.

Resistive screens are pretty poor for most users, they are for use with a stylus rather than your finger.

The processor is old hat as well, lots slower than a new type ARMv7 processor at the same clock speed.

Rides
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004SHERJ...SIN=B004SHERJ6

It's £270, gets good reviews though! Might get one my self

Only a 7" screen though.

Rides
    what about the HP touchpad?

with Android on them they are going for £175ish the other week. Bear in mind that HP had a fire sale of these a couple of months ago selling them for £89

Rides
    Xoom is 250 in bestbuy.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SX Sam View Post
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004SHERJ...SIN=B004SHERJ6

It's £270, gets good reviews though! Might get one my self

Only a 7" screen though.
    The 10.1 inch tablet from the same maker is £300

Rides
    I am struggling to see a review on that one Troy, is it a good bit of kit?

Rides
    It's ok, it's running an older single core processor than the previous tablets but for browsing and video it shouldn't struggle.

It's technically very similar to a 1st gen ipad.

Rides
    This is the top review on Amazon for the Archos 101

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon
    I have been using Archos 101 for a month and I thought my experience might be useful for the other Amazon visitors. Before Archos 101 product, I had a chance of using iPad and Samsung Galaxy tab - which are our test tablets for the applications we developed. All tablet devices have their own pros and cons, I think as a buyer you are the one who know your needs best and you can decide which one fits your requirements.

I would like to evaluate the product from different aspects:

SCREEN SIZE:
    It has 10.1 excellent high resolution capacitive multitouch screens - be careful it is rectangular, not square type like iPad and the rest of the other 10inches (if you are looking for a case - this might be good to know) in the market. You can use it comfortably at both vertical and horizontal levels. The only problem with the screen is the angle limitation - if you do not have the correct angle, you might have some difficulties in looking at the screen. Practically it means it is for only one person use (good for privacy bad for sharing) - if want to watch a romantic HD movie with a loved one, you need to put it to a long distance (such a win-win: you can both watch the movie and there is nothing between you & the loved one!).

SPEED:
    It has 1GB ARM Cortex A8 processer (same with Samsung Galaxy Tab) but 256mb RAM (512mb at Samsung). It is neither fast, nor slow. Firmware upgrades can help to increase the performance and at normal system use around 100 mb is free. If you use android it is always a good idea to limit the use of widgets, as they are consuming so much power of the device. I know they are nice and using them is the nature of android but try to limit yourself with only the "must haves". In return, you are going to get a better performance.

BATTERY and WEIGHT:
    One word: Excellent. None of the other tables can compete with Archos 101 in its category. Superb battery performance and very light table. Also, it is a handsome device. I have been using it with a leather case (bought from eBay) and to my surprise, since the case on it - it has been started to be noticed by the people around. (Moral of the story for attention gathering purpose - a leather case alone without tablet would be fine and cheaper solution!). It is 480 gr (10 inch), Samsung Tab is 380 gr (7inch) and iPad is 730 gr (9.8 inch)

MULTIMEDIA PERFORMANCE:
    This is the specialty of Archos, as they are very famous with their MP3 and multimedia devices. While you are listening moonlight sonata, you can answer your mails or surf on the net. Plus, it is possible to watch almost any video format in this device. I was a little disappointed to see that Archos is selling plug-ins to support some video formats - this is a cheap way to make money in my opinion. Don't worry; android market is at your service! You can find lots of excellent video players (and more) in the market as free. One more tip: if you install Skype - you got a phone on it!

MARKET and Other Apps:
    One of the main advantage of buying a tablet from a well-know brand is after sale support. In some forums I observed some users complained about installing market and some other problems with the applications (including flash, YouTube etc.). Thanks God, Archos fans created some groups on the net and very decent to share their experiences (a personal note: android users in general loves to share and expand the platform). If the instructions explained there followed carefully this is not an issue. Of course there is always a possibility that sometimes a defective product may hit you. In this case, it might be good idea to send the product back for refund or change.

HDMI, WI-FI, Bluetooth and USB:
    Working all fine. Even so I have never managed to use Tethering function of the product. I wonder if it is a defect on the Archos 101 or in my understanding how to use it. Having a 3G tablet has tremendous advantages - for sure. However, you need to pay quite extra for it during the purchase, plus the monthly data package charges is very costly. In my opinion - unless you are always on the move - 3G tablet investment's return does not justify itself. Even if you are always on the move if you set up the connection between your phone and Archos 101 (either in the form of Bluetooth, usb or wifi hotspot) - there would be no problem on your side.

HOW TO INSTALL ANDROID MARKET to ARCHOS 101:
    You need to follow easy 2 steps to install the apps to Archos 101.

Step 1: The tablet comes with pre-installed Archos market app. First You need to use it and download Archtools application from the Archos market (you can do this without sign up to Archos Market). Then by using Archtools app, you can download application packages (in total 2) provided by Archos that includes flash player, google maps, gmail, android market and other useful programs.

Step 2: After android market app is installed to your device - you can use android market (you probably know that you need a gmail account to use it) to have an access to unlimited number of application available to you. Please note that there are different android markets exist and availability of an app may change from one to another.

CONCLUSION:
    I think it is a good product with a reasonable price tag. Compare to other tablets in the market (as of today) - it has the best price-feature match. It can be an excellent company at home and office (in the recent firmware upgrade proxy feature was added). After trying many others, I preferred to buy Archos 101 and very happy with my decision by now. Many people after seeing it in my hand - bought one for themselves; either my hand shows it good or it is good

Different people have different tastes, this makes the world a wonderful place for sure. My suggestions to you - whichever the table you choose - don't buy something with a small screen, which in means less than 9.8 inches. As Steve Jobs mentioned in his speech, Apple usability tests proved that users have so much difficulty at small screens. Our usability tests showed the same thing. Even so many new tabs on the way comes with 7 inch screens including new models from LG, Motorola (XOOM is an exception), HTC etc. If you have any chance that would be great to see the product in the shop and take it in your hand. So that you see how you feel.

Final words: if you buy Archos 101 - do not forget to register the product and regularly update the firmware. If you have look to the change log in their official web site - you can see that how much progress Archos had by now in itself and tablets are still in their infancy level.

I hope this review will help you in your decision.

Rides
    Not cheap but I've just picked up an asus transformer and imho it blows the rest of brand named tablets out of the water

I found the xoom and touchpad quite clunky and laggy to use, the screens were woeful and not clear at any sort of angle or sunlight, the iconias were a massive step forward - decent screens, user friendly and fairly comfortable to use but i found the screen viewing angle was quite poor which means they had to be held at certain angles which led to wrist ache after a while

The asus had a brilliant screen, was easily the nicest to hold and use etc etc etc

Go to your local pc world/currys and go try them for yourself - its whay i did aftet reading independant reviews on t'web

Rides
    The new Kindle Fire...I am kind of waiting for that to be proper jailbroken to access the Google App store etc...but the xoom looks good.