Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Black beasty

Rides
    Have you tried to shut the door with the card on and no padding?

Personally, I dont see the requirement for padding there anyway, as the side of the seat is there anyhow?

Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Looks good, no way I could deal with getting my fat arse through that gap every time mind.
    Try double door bars then

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I'd have no chance with double door bars, you've met me
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Havent been on for a while but now im back have to say your car has given me enthusiam to get stuck back into my project again.
    Car looks absolutely stunning mate, great work.

Cheers Aj

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Clive View Post
    Have you tried to shut the door with the card on and no padding?

Personally, I dont see the requirement for padding there anyway, as the side of the seat is there anyhow?
    Yes. I put the padding on the door bar so my arm has something nice to rest on. I've basically padded all around me so i have something soft to hit.

Rather than hack up the cards I think I'm going to try making some flat ones out of plastic sheet.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Aj82 View Post
    Havent been on for a while but now im back have to say your car has given me enthusiam to get stuck back into my project again.
    Car looks absolutely stunning mate, great work.

Cheers Aj
    Thanks! That's nice to hear.

Rides
    Trimmed up a door card. What do people think? I reckon it don't look half bad.

Also thinking of slapping on a green rocker cover. The one pictured's not quite the right colour but gives an idea.

Rides
    I love the cage and the green rocker cover looks awesome.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    I love the cage and the green rocker cover looks awesome.
    Thanks buddy.

Rides
    What...a...day :-)

Rides
    Lol, you had a good time then dude?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Lol, you had a good time then dude?
    A bloody good time mate! Had a shit start, quite literally. Got up at 5, fitted the rest of my new wheel nuts, ooh! Then went to fit the passenger bucket I'd borrowed and it was too chuffing wide so in went the stock leather (only drivers side). Then I trod in fox sh!t!! Then, when I finally got on my way the local Shell was shut and then to top it off so was the A127!!! So, I got there all hot and bothered but still pretty much on time, saftey briefing done, Hello Tom Chilton who was giving, £25 please, fast laps in a GTR which when I was following he binned at Paddock hill, twat! Noise check passed, siting laps done....finally time to hit the track.

Had a proper crappy first session. Probably because I was still a bit stressed even after dropping off some nervous timber!?! Plus it was my first time at Brands. So, my co driver took the reigns and blatted round showing me how it should be done. I'd calmed by then and got into track mode, hit it fully focussed and confident and it all came back. After that we had a blinding day and tussled with all sorts on track, from GTR's to Caterhams to Tegs and the mighty 200 did very chuffing well.

The 595's weren't great however. they were good for a while then about 6 laps in they'd let go. Bit dissapointing as it wasn't even that hot. Oil and water temps were totally stable and remained low all day. The oil cooer and sump worked a treat! The gearbox was the only other issue we had as fourth gear decide to leave the party just before we broke for lunch. However, after a quick pop to the shell garage he was back for more in the afternoon, hooray!

All in all a bloody good day!

I will hopefully be returning soon but with stiffer springs (10/8's), some fresh brake fluid, new box oil and a shiny new bucket seat.

"what brand are those tyres mate?"

Rides
    Glad you had a good day, surprised at the amount of scrubbing, what are your front tyre dimensions and wheel offsets?

I get scrubbing on the front but not that much, then again my ride height is obviously a little higher than yours. As for the 595's, they do get slippery after a while and as I've said before, they're not a patch on 888's, but they're a happy compromise and let you have fun!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Glad you had a good day, surprised at the amount of scrubbing, what are your front tyre dimensions and wheel offsets?

I get scrubbing on the front but not that much, then again my ride height is obviously a little higher than yours. As for the 595's, they do get slippery after a while and as I've said before, they're not a patch on 888's, but they're a happy compromise and let you have fun!
    Front tyres are 225 40 18 on a 9.75 et20. I run a 15mm spacer up front which just about tucks the tyre under the +25 wings. I loosened the top bolts and pulled the wing out as far as I could after a few sessions but I'm not sure it helped that much. I think having the dampers set to fully hard up front might've helped more.

They seemed to grip really well and then all of a sudden it'd get slidy. I get what you're saying though, even when they go you can still drive on them you just have to man up a bit and accept that the car in front is now going to get away

I still think my monies going on 888's or AD08's next though.

Out of interest Pi, what do you set your tyre pressures and dampers to on track days?

Rides
    One of my friends has bought AD08's for his Cerbera but hasn't used them on a track day yet, they're supposed to be great though. Stretch to the 888's if you can man, they're just unreal

I don't change my damping from road to track and my tyres were 28 all round at Bedford.

Rides
    I believe most of the WTA boys are running AD08's. That says all I need to know.

Rides
    Quick question mate, how much roll cage padding did you get and where did you get it from?

Rides
    Is that even proper cage padding?! Doesnt look like it.

Rides
    I bought 5m which is a little ott as I have about 1m spare. Bought from JJC off eBay. Is fire retardant track spec padding.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAKTOOTH View Post
    I bought 5m which is a little ott as I have about 1m spare. Bought from JJC off eBay. Is fire retardant track spec padding.
    Good to know, cheers mate.

Rides
    So, I thought I had 8/6 Gen 2's. Turns out I don't. I actually have 6/5's, see image below (these came off the front).

So after spending Sunday in the scorching sun stripping down my fronts and fitting 10's it would seem I wasted my time, doh! It's OK though, I've ordered 8 kg.mm springs from Apex and have fitted my 6's to the rear already. So I'll be going from 6/5 kg.mm to 8/6 kg.mm which Apex assures me is fine as the dampers for both are very similarly rated and they swap these spring rates all the time.

So, my Gen 2's have been on the 200 for almost 5 years now and since setting the ride height I've hardly touched them. Two of the collars required some but the overall condition of them is bloody good. They look very clean after a wipe over and all the collars still turn. Hopefully, with some stiffer springs, they'll last another 5. So they get a from me.