Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Black beasty

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MEL View Post
    Neat install
    Thanks

I also wired up an oil pressure gauge and mounted it on the opposite side to the pressure on the steering wheel shroud. Just need to hook up the sensor in the bay. Also need to fit the thermo plate and route the lines neatly through to the cooler. Last job is fitting the shiny Tomei oil pan, then it's the moment of truth!?! Hoping with the number plate fitted the oil cooler won't over cool. Then, on track, I can whip it off!

Rides
    When's your next track day?

Want a p.ride

Rides
    When's your next track day?

Want a p.ride
    Ha...erm? Not sure. I haven't booked any yet as the car's not ready. Have a cage to fit as well when it turns up. Hoping to squeeze one in close to my birthday in April but we'll see.

As for a passenger I only have one seat at the moment. I sold one to buy another and then the one I was going to buy sold, sh!t! If/when I replace it you're more than welcome to come a long for a ride mate.

Rides
    Let me know about the track day, my birthday is the end of march so would be up for a day or 2 round that sort of time

Rides
    Tomei oil pan on!

And one of my new assistant:

Lol!

Not as easy to fit as I'd hoped. Old pan came off easy peasy but new one

First of all, due to the increase in capacity the pan is longer. This means you use two studs at each end....which require four spring washers and four little pissy nuts. These are a bastard to fit. They really are unless you have small lady fingers or two Jez Beadle hands.

Problem number two, and by the way I'm against the clock as the gasket sealant goes off in 15 mins. It probably doesn't in a cold 5°C garage but I'm still against the clock to get it bolted up. Anyway, problem two isn't the 15 minutes dry time it's the three bolts at the back of the pan. Now because the Tomei pan must be a few mm's wider and square edged you can't get a socket onto the bolts. So, out comes the angle grinder and off comes the lip on the cross member and my hearing for a couple of mins because I'm on my back under the car with the grinder 3 inches from my face in a small garge. Only removed about a 5mm strip, just before the spot welds, but enough to allow me to get the deep 10mm socket in...which had to be stuffed with sponge to stop the bolt dissapearing down it's length Took me about an hour in the end I suppose which I hope was quick enough as taking it off will be a right sh!t!

Only jobs left to do now are fit the oil pressure sensor and fit the thermo sarny plate and coooler lines.
    Last edited by BLAKTOOTH; 27-02-2013 at 09:06.

Rides
    "Dear Stack, why are your products soooooo sh!t?"

This happened at the weekend:

And before anyone suggests, no I didn't attack it with a 10ft breaker bar after necking a spinach, rebull and steroid smoothie! I simply nipped up the nut and then checked to see if the wire was loose and it fell off in my hand

Rides
    this car is sex, and dont change the front bumper man, it would loose the agressive look!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by deadnation90 View Post
    this car is sex, and dont change the front bumper man, it would loose the agressive look!
    Thanks! I've always loved the Bomex bumper so it's staying.

Update! Did the final checks, filled with over 4L of oil, waited for my mate to turn up, turn the key and boom! Just kidding, started fine. Oil pressure gauge flicked into life and was sitting at a fairly steady 65 psi to start with. We then had to abort as we spotted a leak. No biggy, I hadn't quite tightened the hose fittings enough at the cooler end. Spannered them up a bit tighter and problem solved. At least it proved the coolers getting oil. Plus I reckon the paint overspray on the threads was what was preventing a good seal so I reckon PTFE tape would've actually made matters worse. So, tightened up and re started. Kept it running for about 10 mins, or as long as I dare piss my neighbours off for, checking for leaks and keeping an eye on the gauge. I'm glad to report, there are no leaks now and pressure seems good. Will hopefully go for a drive at the weekend. Yes!!! She lives!

Rides
    Nice updates mate. One of fav cars on this site this, keep up the good work

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nash`s View Post
    Nice updates mate. One of fav cars on this site this, keep up the good work
    Thank you very much mate. How's yours these days? Done much to it recently?

All that's left to do now before my next track outing is fit stiffer springs, an Apex cage and some new tyres.

Rides
    Yeah mines good mate thanks , not done much to it recently mate . Trying to build the funds up again lol.

Rides
    I'm liking the oil cooler install. I'm just about to modify my system along similar lines, though my FMIC is too thick to fit where you've put yours so I'll probably stick the cooler in the bumper ahead of the washer bottle.

Couple of questions if you don't mind:
    What did you do with your washer bottle? Couldn't see it in the pics through the bumper. Also, what's that ducting on the passenger side?
    Where are you feeding your oil press/temp senders to? I couldn't find a thermo SW plate that also had two gauge take offs.

Great car by the way, mine is heading in a similar direction I think (though with much less power for now...).

-Dave

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyboydave View Post
    I'm liking the oil cooler install. I'm just about to modify my system along similar lines, though my FMIC is too thick to fit where you've put yours so I'll probably stick the cooler in the bumper ahead of the washer bottle.

Couple of questions if you don't mind:
    What did you do with your washer bottle? Couldn't see it in the pics through the bumper. Also, what's that ducting on the passenger side?
    Where are you feeding your oil press/temp senders to? I couldn't find a thermo SW plate that also had two gauge take offs.

Great car by the way, mine is heading in a similar direction I think (though with much less power for now...).

-Dave
    Thanks.

You will definitely struggle if your IC's thicker as you won't get it behind the lights for a start. Is a really good place to mount it tho. Makes for a tidy install and reduces turbo lag.

Right, stock washer bottle got binned as it started leaking and then the pump went. Replaced it with a small one that sits just in front of the fuse box where the battery used to be, that's now in the boot.

Ducting is a cold air feed to the air filter. Just a universal kit off eBay.

The oil temp sensors in a sandwich plate on top of the thermo plate. You're right, thermo plates don't come with gauge takeoffs. The pressure sensor is fitted to a brass t-piece along with the stock pressure switch in the stock switch location, just behind the oil filter. Got the t-piece from Apex.

I was originally going to mount the oil cooler where the old washer bottle sat but I hope being covered a bit will stop it over cooling on the road.

Rides
    M.A.J.O.R update....as it was sunny all weekend I took it out the garage and spent all Sunday washing and polishing the b@stard! First time in 6 months, lol. The effort was well worth it though...shame it had to go back into the cave.

Proof you can polish a turd

Rides
    You fancy Bedford on the 15th? There's quite a few of us going - easy going track day as a bit of a shakedown for the rest of summer

Rides
    Looks awesome Lee .

Rides
    You fancy Bedford on the 15th? There's quite a few of us going - easy going track day as a bit of a shakedown for the rest of summer
    If I can get some tyres then yes. What's the cost and details mate?

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    Looks awesome Lee .
    Thanks buddy.

Rides
    Just ordered some RSR's...I just hope they're in stock.

Rides
    £179.00 open pit lane.

Through msv

Car looks nice and shiny btw

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAKTOOTH View Post
    Just ordered some RSR's...I just hope they're in stock.
    Camskill? Need to order some new rears ideally