Page 37 of 49 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Black beasty

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by spice_weazle View Post
    Out of interest. Im assuming you both drive to track days?
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Yeah I do, I'm almost certain Lee does as well. Why do you ask bud?
    I do, but I'd love to have a trailer or truck. I drove all the way to Donington last year and broke down 5 mins from the circuit. Fortunately we had another car to drive so the day wasn't a total waste. The AA then recovered me later that day. I don't even want to think about breaking down on track or worse crashing. Cross that bridge if/when I come to it.

Rides
    Snetterton evening sesh didn't quite go as well as I'd hoped. Only managed two sighting laps and about 5 warmup laps before the turbo to manifold gasket let go, game over. Stayed for the rest of the evening then limped the injured leviathan home. Gaskets, studs and nuts are ordered but I've got a broken stud I need to remove which might be tricky. First time this has happened so I'm just putting it down to bad luck. Oh well, Cadwell Park next

Rides
    That's a shame, very similar thing happened to me at Cadwell but I kept on going until the leak melted my ignition amp! Funny that a bolt sheared, it's usually the nuts coming loose that does it.

At least it should be a relatively easy job with your top mount setup.

Rides
    EXACTLY the same failure at EXACTLY the same circuit that I had! It's a curse!

Rides
    Studs and nuts arrived from HDev in super quick time. They were through my door in under 24 hours, wow! Let's hope they're up to the job.

Gaskets should be with me this week, then all that's left to do is whip off the turbo and extract the broken stud!?!

Rides
    Don't bother with gaskets, mine always used to the same until I binned them. The faces were good enough to give a quick block sand and then bolt together. That was on all joints in the end

Rides
    Love you car mate

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    Don't bother with gaskets, mine always used to the same until I binned them. The faces were good enough to give a quick block sand and then bolt together. That was on all joints in the end
    This though, gaskets went on me a couple of times when out on track, ruining the day. So got rid of them and been running gasketless for 4+ years and never had a problem, one of the best things I've done imo.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Davus200 View Post
    Love you car mate

This though, gaskets went on me a couple of times when out on track, ruining the day. So got rid of them and been running gasketless for 4+ years and never had a problem, one of the best things I've done imo.
    How do you go gasketless? Just have the faces machined perfectly flat? Sorry if that's a daft question

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Davus200 View Post
    Love you car mate

Quote Originally Posted by mcleansc View Post
    How do you go gasketless? Just have the faces machined perfectly flat? Sorry if that's a daft question
    Could machine but Drifter has done his by hand by the sounds of it. No paste I take it? Would assume temps are far too high and it wouldn't last long anyway. I've not had gasket failure before and have done quite a few track days now. The stud snapped which caused the gasket to go, I'm guessing. Think that was one of the old Greddy studs that's been on my car for well over 5 years. Might fit gaskets again this time and look to bin if they cause me anymore grief. Thanks for the comments guys, appreciated.

Rides

Black beasty

It all depends on the state of the flanges, it's surprising how little contact you need to get a seal without the gasket. I've just made a new elbow for my mates skyline and the turbo flange bowed. Attacked it with a belt sander and its sealed perfectly. No paste or anything

Rides
    Yesterday was turbo gasket/stud day...

Success!

Rides

Officially off the road

Rides
    Laying up over winter?

Just as im about ready to go tracking, you're laying up and dyball is breaking!

Rides
    How come mate was looking forward to seeing it at the weekender.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MEL View Post
    Laying up over winter?

Just as im about ready to go tracking, you're laying up and dyball is breaking!
    Quote Originally Posted by nash`s View Post
    How come mate was looking forward to seeing it at the weekender.
    Car needs some work but having just had another child I have zero free time right now. Going to spend the next few months collecting all the neccesary bits and when I have a chance whip the motor out. Got big plans, mainly to make the car more reliable but ultimately more driveable as well. We're talking forged SR goodness and Z33 transmission...Oh yeah!

Rides
    Good enough excuse, I'll let you off congrats btw. Can't wait to see what plans you got for her.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nash`s View Post
    Good enough excuse, I'll let you off congrats btw. Can't wait to see what plans you got for her.
    Thanks matey. Exciting times ahead, at home as well as in the garage. I'll try and keep this thread alive with updates but might be a while before anything's actually fitted.

Rides
    Z33 transmission, I'm looking at that conversion over the winter as well. What adapter did you get?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jackm View Post
    Z33 transmission, I'm looking at that conversion over the winter as well. What adapter did you get?
    Will be going with a Collins adaptor or just one off eBay, haven't decided yet. I'm going VQ35HR over the VQ35DE transmission as well. CD009 was just too difficult to source so I now have a Concentric Slave Cylinder to fit in as well. This conversion better work well as it's really not straight forward, or cheap.

Rides
    Box arrived...looks, like a gearbox. Seems clean and has all the right markings and gear with it. Shame it won't be going on anytime soon.