Thread: Black beasty

Rides
    Which adapter plate you gone for. I love the box in my car

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonsx View Post
    Which adapter plate you gone for. I love the box in my car

Gone with a ProTuner plate. What you got pal?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAKTOOTH View Post
    Gone with a ProTuner plate. What you got pal?
    I have the slide Motorsport plate. There all pretty much same thing though to be honest.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    The standard gearbox is what’s stopping me going for decent power in mine, shame they’re made of cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    Good reasons. Only asking as I'll eventually want to do this conversion
    What are you running currently? Os gilken gear set?
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    What are you running currently? Os gilken gear set?
    Z32 gearbox

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Let me know if you come to sell the z32 setup

Sorry for cluttering your thread blaktooth
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Big box mod
    It turned up, finally.

Big box mod
    Big box mod
    First issue. I was told about this. The new shaft uses a larger knuckle.

Big box mod
    That should sort it. The shaft has around an inch of end float so should be absolutely fine now.

Big box mod
    Old vs new

Big box mod
    Big box mod
    This hole needed to be deepened to accept the dowel. Wasn't expecting this but easy fix.

Big box mod
    Just in case anyone fancies having their own made and probably paying a lot less than I did. (Prop shaft is 29” from flange to flange.)

Big box mod
    Got the old box off. What a pig of a job that was. It's bloody tight under there with the engine on. Pulling the motor to make it easier to put the new one in. Lengths seem to match so that's good.

Had to order a 350z clutch slave cylinder and a 3 foot clutch line as it sits on the opposite side.

Once the motor's out I'll check the clutch and see where we're at with the release bearing. So close!
    Last edited by BLAKTOOTH; 05-01-2020 at 05:27.

Rides
    No R32 here anymore. Bought another 14 to build but into nothing aggressive.

Never had any issues without mazworx service myself but the shifter cutting was naff.

Rides
    All was going well and then bam! Just when it seemed I was there. The finish line was a spit away. I could see the light... My clutch had other ideas. With brake fluid in my beard and sweat in my ass crack I discovered there wasn't enough travel in the clutch fork to enable full disengagement, bugger. And ****. And buggery ****. Now, I'd done my research and had I read it right in the first place. I did but chose to ignore it as I thought I knew better. Turns out I don't. So the engine and box is to come out, again (grumble). That was a few months ago. I needed some time away for my fresh wounds to heal. It helped. I now have the longer clutch release sleeve (D40), direct from the U.S of A. When I have a spare day or two the box will come off, again, and the right sleeve will go on this time. Then the whole lot will be buttoned back up and reinstalled. See below for pics and some very helpful advice from some lovely chap on Zilvia, enjoy! Next update should be first impressions from the gentle first drive as the new clutch setup needs bedding in.

Z33 box squeeze
    Engine out

Z33 box squeeze
    Front seal leak

Z33 box squeeze
    Old seal successfully removed

Z33 box squeeze
    New Nissan seal in and snazzy torque gauge used for the first time. Decent bit of kit that.

Z33 box squeeze
    Ye old bread trick.

Z33 box squeeze
    New pilot bearing, Driftworks Flywheel and Comp clutch paddle installed with ARP fixings.

Z33 box squeeze
    This is an S14 sleeve vs a Z33 one. The taller being the S14. Which isn't long enough (see zilvia link below).

Z33 box squeeze
    Had this rocker cover for years. About 10 of them. I sanded the lettering back to metal and gave it a quick polish, et voila!

Z33 box squeeze
    All ready to go bac... hold your horses. No it is not.

Z33 box squeeze
    Bash, bash, bash...

Z33 box squeeze
    Needs bashing...

Z33 box squeeze

Z33 box squeeze
    And two quick brackets later she's in.

Z33 box squeeze
    Slight tweak and the Gktech shifter has landed.

Z33 box squeeze
    Perfect!

And here's the Zilvia link that explains the clutch release bearing saga: https://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=622595
    Last edited by BLAKTOOTH; 04-02-2021 at 16:38.

Rides
    Nightmare! Have to say, all this is putting me off a gearbox change, seems like a right faff!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyboydave View Post
    Nightmare! Have to say, all this is putting me off a gearbox change, seems like a right faff!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Has been but it’s been a learning curve and I’m leaving no stone unturned. Will get there in the end. And it’s gonna rip when it does, ooh-wee!

Rides
    Did you shave the gearbox mounting face? Is that why the dowel did not have a hole to fit into?

Been meaning to mount mine to the engine for the final time but so far from what I remember the s15 ORC twin carbon clutch or ANY S15 clutch with its larger flywheel will fit with the protuner plate no shaving of the mounting surface and a Z33 clutch sleeve and release bearing to suit that clutch type.
    I think I may have the shorter pilow ball for the fork though.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by evilz View Post
    Did you shave the gearbox mounting face? Is that why the dowel did not have a hole to fit into?

Been meaning to mount mine to the engine for the final time but so far from what I remember the s15 ORC twin carbon clutch or ANY S15 clutch with its larger flywheel will fit with the protuner plate no shaving of the mounting surface and a Z33 clutch sleeve and release bearing to suit that clutch type.
    Yes, I had 12mm whizzed off to suit the S14 setup. I think you might get away with a longer pivot ball but I'm going with the longer bearing carrier as mentioned above.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by evilz View Post

I have the pro tuner plate, and a S15 Extreme twin plate clutch, with the gk tech shifter assembly, it's bloody brilliant! I had a garage I trust doing mine, I've had no issues so far, I'm guessing they used the Z33 bit not the S14 one?
    Should I be worried? I'm not as clued up as you guys.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Rides
    Sorry I might sound like an idiot, but what is the old bread trick?

Rides
    You pack bread into the pilot bearing hole, then hammer in a close fitting bolt or dowel. Repeat as bread gets squashed down and the pressure pushes the bearing out. Works surprisingly well! Tried it with grease first on mine and failed, bread came out first try.

Loving the car BLAKTOOTH, coming on really nice. I have the Mazworx kit but car is currently a bare shell lol, so let me know how the box feels once you get to give it some shit.

Rides
    Back on the road again

350Z transmission, done! Have put a few miles down now (some self isolating country jaunts) and the clutch is pretty much bedded in. So, my thoughts on the 'Z' tranny. It's loud. It sounds like a cement mixer eating a bunch of spanners. This concerned me at first. Not something that's been mentioned much from the people that have done this conversion. Strange as even the 'Z' boyz say it's a noisy old box. To be fair it's on a modified Vibratechnics mount which makes it pretty much solid mounted. This afternoon i made the old rubber gaiter fit the new stick so I'm hoping this will muffle the sound some more. To be honest, with no cover it actually sounds like you're inside the box and every whine, gurgle and rattle can be heard. Very race car. The loudest it gets is on deceleration. Between 2-3k let off the throttle and it's "GGgggrgrgrgfjghghgfgg!" Took it to a trusted mechanic last night for a once over. Seeing as I've done this all on my own, on the driveway I just wanted some reassurance. The guys there said it's possibly the quietest they'd heard. Erm, wow! The box did look brand new when I swapped bellhousings. The oil, to my surprise, came out golden so I know it's a mint, low mileage box.

OK, onto the good news. The box is great! Aside from the noise it selects gears perfectly. The GKTech shifter is short and direct. At first I was worried I'd struggle to find all 6 gears but they're all there and I haven't selected the wrong one yet. And no crunch from reverse. Oh the joy! The sprung 6 puck Xtreme paddle feels quite stock. Not as heavy or harsh as the RPS it replaces, which is nice. The gearing with the 3.9 diff is short but 6th is pretty much what 5th was before, 72mph @ 3000rpm (Going by my GPS phone app). Once it's been dialed in properly with a MB Auto special tune it's going to fly!

It was worth it. There were times I wanted to burn the f'ing thing to the ground but perseverance pays off. To be honest all the information's out there. It's just finding it and understanding it. Once you have it all in bits it all starts to make a bit more sense, ha! So, seeing as I'm an expert now if anyone needs any advice drop me a message and I'll ignore you. Just kidding, I'll obviously try my best to help

Rides
    Nice work dude! Seems like a big job but hopefully now you’ve got a robust box that’ll be bulletproof

Rides
    Great choice, the 350 box is awesome. I love mine.
    Enjoy it dude, and its nice knowing you can lay the power down without your box shitting out

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Thanks guys!

More progress:

Shhhh!

Shhhh!

Shhhh!

Shhhh!

It's the little things that make the difference.