Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Simps' Garage

Rides
    Long over due an update!

Been working on & off on a solution for the front tie bar supports. They currently sit like so...

I wanted a tidier solution that is also permanent but separate from the anti-roll bar set up. So I came up with this. Needs some finishing/tidying up but I will do that once the cars on the spit.

I need to add in some more vertical strength which I'm still thinking on as to how exactly I want to do it, got a few ideas but want to mull it over. Feel free to pitch in!

I then removed the front subframe today so I have better access for working on the turrets and sheeting the bay...

I've also been messing around with the M3 the last few weeks and getting the fitment dialled in on its new boots - finally got it where I wanted to do and I'm happy

Thanks for looking.

Rides
    Oh my!. Most impressive build

Rides
    So started work on the rear turrets today. Had a friend lathe me up some thick steel top plates of which I then lined up and tacked in place...

Then the skirts got welded on...

I then made a start on the top supporting plate but then had to go.

I will finish welding it all the way round once the shell is off as it will be much easier.

Once these are complete I can drop the rear subframe, remove the body then get the frame on the spit

Rides
    No progress over the xmas break unfortunately due to spending plenty of time with loved ones but I did some welding therapy this afternoon on the front strut tops. They just need finishing up on the inside now.

Pleased with the few hours progress

Rides
    Built an exoskeleton tonight... :cool

Rides
    Whats the exoskeleton for? Just to hold the body or some other reason.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by spice_weazle View Post
    Whats the exoskeleton for? Just to hold the body or some other reason.
    It will be getting tacked at the a & b pillars to help keep the shell shape for when I lift it off the frame. I'm slicing it just above the sill line.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by The Simps View Post
    It will be getting tacked at the a & b pillars to help keep the shell shape for when I lift it off the frame. I'm slicing it just above the sill line.
    Thought it would be for something like that.

Rides
    Exoskeleton got tagged into the shell at the a & b posts then the whole thing lifted and separated from the space frame

So chuffed, feels like I've hit a real milestone although the gf thinks its a step back and doesn't quite get it!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by The Simps View Post
    Exoskeleton got tagged into the shell at the a & b posts then the whole thing lifted and separated from the space frame

So chuffed, feels like I've hit a real milestone although the gf thinks its a step back and doesn't quite get it!
    Sounds like my wife! Good going.

Rides
    Some further progress today.

With the shell off I could continue with the rear turret tops..

There's still finishing work to be done and tidying but I want to weld it up from the underside 1st before I make it look "pretty". Repeated on the other side then moved the shell away from the wall so I could continue welding up joints that were inaccessible with the shell on...

Then it was time to flip her over ready for the underside work to begin. I'll probably start from the front and work back.

Really happy with how things are progressing at the moment

Rides
    Awsome.

Rides
    Cheers dude. You get long periods of lull on these long term projects as you well know but it feels great when you get a surge!

Rides
    So true. Im thinking a long the lines of what you are doing for my next project after the s14. I want to build a space frame/chassis.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by spice_weazle View Post
    So true. Im thinking a long the lines of what you are doing for my next project after the s14. I want to build a space frame/chassis.
    I keep thinking ahead to what I'd love to do next but I have a feeling that once this one is done and finished (and when I say finished I mean running and shed loads spent on all the little parts to get it finished)life might not allow me to do another - family, time, money etc. We'll see.

Rides
    very interesting build,

Rides
    So over the past few weeks I've been putting in hours where I can working from front to back welding up all the joins. I also tidied up underneath the turret tops front and back and welded the joins where necessary. Didn't take any pics of the fronts for some reason so will next time I'm up there. For now the rears...

Welded all the joins and stitch the large plate (its seam welded on top)...

That complete the car was flipped back over. I had left the rear turrets like so previously...

So I ground back the welds the went over every join with tidy (for me!) welds with an aim to be neat and finish them like the fronts...

Just trying to decide how to finish off where the surround plate meets the tube work. Think I might grind it back, see how it looks, but most likely lay down some finishing welds like on the turret plates. The aim being that the other panels that will need welding into the car will all be finished the same way.

Thanks for reading, its getting there slowly!

Rides
    How heavy is the frame?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -ghost- View Post
    How heavy is the frame?
    No idea yet.I can lift and roll it over on my own so not hugely heavy. I appreciate I've gone overkill on a lot of parts but its getting the right compromise. Its gonna be a hell of a lot of fun either way!

Rides
    Yeah i look forwards to seeing it come on . I guessed it couldn't be too heavy when see upside down pic.

What tube banger are you using as they look very smooth bends

Are you doing it all with a Clarke welder?
    Last edited by -ghost-; 03-02-2015 at 22:50.