Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Simps' Garage

Rides
    Probably worth adding it will also be running full adjustable arm kits from and back including lower arms.

Rides
    We normally move the lower wishbones out 25mm on the drift cars to give more clearance on lock so adjusting out the small bit of negative camber should be no problem from the standard turrent width with adjustable arms and top mounts.

Also if this is track orientated you'll be looking to have ~3 degrees of negative camber on the front wheels anyway

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by calicagesracing View Post
    We normally move the lower wishbones out 25mm on the drift cars to give more clearance on lock so adjusting out the small bit of negative camber should be no problem from the standard turrent width with adjustable arms and top mounts.

Also if this is track orientated you'll be looking to have ~3 degrees of negative camber on the front wheels anyway

Thats VERY usefull information, thank you! So you're saying on a normal s body where you extend out the bottom arm by 25mm you can dial out the negative camber created on the standard top mounts by use of the adjustment in the coilover tops?

Rides
    Yep, but we can't get it all the way back to 0 camber.
    It'll range between around -2* and ridiculous lol. Stance yO

Rides
    Lol

Thanks again for the info!

Rides
    Engine back out today now I know where the front chassis legs needed to be. All then levelled up ready to build the climbing frame!

Rides
    Love it

Rides
    Bought myself a reciprocating saw which turned up yesterday so I got to work this afternoon. Cut the rest of the bulkhead out I needed to then started on profiling some tube. Firstly the small pieces in each bottom corner...

Followed by some bigger bits!...

I then drilled holes straight through the box section and started tagging it into the bulkhead...

That believe it or not took me around 5hrs! Profiling and checking is sooooo time consuming. But I'm getting there.

Thanks for looking.

Rides
    Nice work

Rides
    Thanks!

Rides
    fair play too you chap for doing all this.. can i ask are you made of money hahaha

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by KamS14A View Post
    fair play too you chap for doing all this.. can i ask are you made of money hahaha
    If I was made of money do you think I'd be using welded up axle stands! lol

Its designed to be a fairly low budget build tbh. My biggest outlay to date has been the donor car which was cheap enough that if this build doesn't get finished I could break it for parts to cover its cost. Also the cage cost me around £500. Of course there have been incidental costs like grinding discs! lmao

I figure that buy the time I finish the spaceframe etc the cost to do that will still be less than buying a mint s14a or fixing a s14a. I will also have a more purosefull, lighter weapon!

Because of the lower weight it won't need much power either. I'm only looking to have around 225-250bhp. The money really is going on the suspension components.

Rides
    So spent this afternoon undoing what I did last weekend! Had a long hard think and wasn't happy with the 1st design so have gone with this now...

By doing this it will be easier to make the bulkhead and I will put another horizontal in in the old position too and link it up to it further, following the profile of the a-pillers. And if my guesserments are correct the new horizontal will also be in a good spot for gearbox clearance and the tunnel opening. Obviously still needs the sides of the tunnel.

Rides
    YOU ARE NUTS!!!

But I completely approve of this build! can't wait to see the progress
    My S14.5 Rebuild Thread - clicky --
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=468362

Rides

Rides
    Great build. Will be watching this!!

Rides
    Cheers!

Rides
    Small update from this afternoons work.

Started by making the 2 diagonals that tie the bulkhead into the chassis rails, mounting just before the subframe mounts...

I then drilled out the top subframe mount holes in order to insert some crush tubes, this will be welded in later...

Next up was to start making my turret tops. Sadly my 86mm hole saw has seen better days so had to stop but plan on sourcing a new one tomorrow! So got all the subframe and jig all mounted up ready to go...

More soon hopefully! Really want the front end done now.

Rides
    Nice build ill keep my eye on this

Rides
    Been cracking on with the turret tops the last couple of evenings.

Finished off cutting the centre 86mm holes with my new bit then tested them for fitment...

The holes all lined up so then I trimmed them into circles...

Then added skirts...

And two tacked up turret tops...

They now need welding all the way round and cleaning up but ran out of time tonight. Also to be honest I'm not 100% happy with them as they're not perfect circles. Thinking of remaking them but we'll see!

Thanks for looking.