Thread: Windscreen claims ?

Rides

Windscreen claims ?

Just curios how these work as ive never had to do one until getting a foot long crack in the TD5

Currently ive got a normal screen with a big crack.

Id quite like a heated screen as all the wiring etc is there already just needs the screen !

What are my options on what screen I can have and what company I can have to fit it ?

Rides
    Usually you phone your insurance company and they just sort it for you.

However, in the past I have used independant companies and somehow managed to avoid paying any excess...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    Usually you phone your insurance company and they just sort it for you.

However, in the past I have used independant companies and somehow managed to avoid paying any excess...
    Trouble is that who do I tell I want a heated one and will it cost me ?

Also I have a local company that I know and like so would prefer them really as I know ill get a good job with the trims replaced rather than reused !

Rides
    when i had a screen replaced on my fiesta last year by autoglass the person on the phone taking the booking asked me if it was a heated screen or not.

if you know someone at your local place then ask them to order you a heated one.as it should be replaced like for like .

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulpen View Post
    Trouble is that who do I tell I want a heated one and will it cost me ?

Also I have a local company that I know and like so would prefer them really as I know ill get a good job with the trims replaced rather than reused !
    tell them your car is meant to have a heated screen but the current one isn't.

East Anglia Area Rep Slip_n_slide's Avatar
    Rides
    Usually insurance companies will use auto glass who might get a bit suspicious when You ask them for a heated screen and there's no wires for it to be plugged in. if they can even find one for an sx that is.

Have you spoken to your insurer to see if they will pay some money towards a "new screen of your choice from a fitter of your choice" Being careful how you word it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip'n_slide View Post
    Usually insurance companies will use auto glass who might get a bit suspicious when You ask them for a heated screen and there's no wires for it to be plugged in. if they can even find one for an sx that is.

Have you spoken to your insurer to see if they will pay some money towards a "new screen of your choice from a fitter of your choice" Being careful how you word it.
    He's said it's in his TD5 so it's not a 200 I don't think.

East Anglia Area Rep Slip_n_slide's Avatar
    Rides
    Fail.

If they don't have one as standard tho it could still be best asking. I'm sure insurers will still pay up to a certain amount of money for a fitter of your choice to do the work than one of their repairers.

Rides
    They will cover you for the value of a like for like replacement and then you can pay the additional for the heated (well this is how most work). Autoglass employee

Rides
    It was probably standard fit, just has been replaced in the past with the wrong one - you should be fine I'd have thought specifying the heated one based on my limited experience

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by robdriftit View Post
    They will cover you for the value of a like for like replacement and then you can pay the additional for the heated (well this is how most work). Autoglass employee
    a heated screen will cost way loads more than a non heated one. as an employee do you think that if he calls up and says he has a heated screen the people in the office will call his bluff? when the guy comes to fit it and see's he has a regular screen do you think the fitter will be ok with fitting the 'wrong' screen if the customer is happy?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    a heated screen will cost way loads more than a non heated one. as an employee do you think that if he calls up and says he has a heated screen the people in the office will call his bluff? when the guy comes to fit it and see's he has a regular screen do you think the fitter will be ok with fitting the 'wrong' screen if the customer is happy?
    Kind of how im thinking now tbh

Ill get the mrs to give them a ring monday