Thread: s15 with R33 gearbox

Rides

s15 with R33 gearbox

Just wondering
    My s15 has a great 6 speed box in it, no grinds etc. But i have the chance to get a R33 gtst gearbox at a good price and considering having my spanner man fit it in.
    Would it put a buyer off though or would it be considered a good upgrade ? Its sitting about 300bhp but i am considering tuning it a bit more over the winter to the 400 region and apparently thats when the s15 6 speed starts to fall apart ?

Opinions

Rides
    I think you'll also need to change your clutch and flywheel if you want to fit the R33 gearbox, quite a lot on extra cost to consider.

IMO its only worth it if you want more than 400hp

Rides
    Eager your correct in what your saying few guys on S15oc.com are running 350-400 and not having any trouble think one of them is at 600bhp in the states but other are blowing them up left right and center just down to luck.

As for the R33 box (thats what I am putting into my s15) you Dont need to change your clutch and flywheel you can use a conversion plate to fit the box, best bet it to PM Polo he can give you all the you need to know and he will sort you out with a full conversion kit inc custom prop etc hes who I will be going to when I get round to paying for one

Rides
    i have just done an r33 GTST gearbox conversion on my s14/a SR20,

you need a conversion plate, you can get them from polo or garge D. you use the SR flywheel and clutch, obviouly you will need GTST gearbox and prop, which needs to be shortened to fit

i have taken loads of pics while doing the conversion, i can post a few up if your intrested

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanOrr View Post
    Dont need to change your clutch and flywheel
    Even if you're still using the dual mass or aftermarket flywheel? Would have thought that the setup was too thick to be used on a GTST/Z32 box?

I've transfered my Z32 kit into the last S15 works fine, but really needs a shorter ratio box to make it work well with a with an SR20 imo. GTST has the same ratios

Rides
    Sorry from what Ben send I thought he might of ment to a skyline clutch,
    Guessing that when the box is off your going to fit a new clutch make it for a 5-speed and lose the dual mass (forgot we had them on S15's need to stop working on my S14 so much ) and your good to go

Rides
    @eager if going for a conversion plate keep it Irish and drop me a pm

Rides
    I planned on just getting my mechanic to do a cut and shut job, he has done a right few now with a sr20 box and the r33. No plate required.

Rides
    Most are headin z33 route on boxes now. Probably be a nicer job with the15, keep it 6 speed an all. In saying that if the box is cheap pick it up and sell it on.

Rides
    Didnt thnk the Z33 boxes would fit as well due to it not being a straight 4/6? could be intresting to find out whos running one

Rides
    There's a few of the Irish drift lads running them now.

Rides
    Boxes will fit but it's finding a decent one that's the issue, i have been looking for months and cant find the right one