Thread: New member

ADM

Hi all,

New member but no an owner.
    I've sold my 350Z back in August for an economical 1.9TDI Fabia currently running 200bhp thanks to an hybrid turbo and few other goodies, it is a cracking little car which returns 50+ mpg but, it lucks of soul and never fallen in love with it and now looking for a replacement.
    Shortlisted down to 2 cars now, AWD Stagea or an S14.
    I'm currently looking around for spec and models, mpg,bhp and top speed figures as well as reliability general maintenance costs and common issues and practicality as a family car. I'll have a look round but any advise is welcome.
    So far seen this one which is within budget and low mileage, will I be disappointed with a non turbo model?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3335309.htm

Thanks
    Alex

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ADM View Post
    will I be disappointed with a non turbo model?
    They aren't that quick. They also aren't noticeably more economical than the turbos, and finally since the non-turbo cars are all grey imports, you'll somewhat be more restricted in who will insure them.

A stock-ish S14 turbo would be as fast as your Fabia, with potential to go faster. A non-turbo would I guess feel quite a bit slower.

I had a non-turbo PS13, and I loved it. They do sound good, too, with the open intake. But the extra power the turbo offers doesn't really have many downsides.

WRT the Stagea, I guess it would be much more practical, but also a lot more thirsty - the SR20 cars can return high 30s mpg on the motorway, but the Stagea is an RB with a much heavier body and AWD.

Rides
    I'd have thought you'd be able to get a reasonable turbo'd one for around that price tbh. Though that one you've linked does look nice

Welcome to SXOC

If you ever fancy joining us for Jap meet, it's not too far from you: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Readin...74555262620922

Rides
    Prime for a "Clive" sr20 conversion I'd say.

ADM
    Hi guys,

Thank you for the info. so far the turbo I've seen are all around 7K+ but as for everything, I guess you get what you are paying for.

Lou-Lou (Lucinda?): I did come to Reading on my 350 before, I would now be embarrassed to turn up with a VAG, is it still on TUesdays?

Alex

Rides
    7k for an s14...no way!! I sold mine for 5k and that was a good price. You should be able to get a reasonable one for less.

Turn up to Reading meet in whatever you like I don't own a jap car anymore, I go in a BMW, as do a few on here

Rides
    7k what the hell you looking at stage 3 cars by the sound of it, I bought a stockish 14a for 2k.

Rides
    For example http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3355933.htm this is cheap and you get the replacement clutch all you need to do is fit it.

ADM
    Quote Originally Posted by nevins View Post
    For example http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3355933.htm this is cheap and you get the replacement clutch all you need to do is fit it.
    Just seen this! Looks lovely, a bit put of from the 100K miles

Rides
    I don't think thats anything too much to worry about. Just make sure you pay a good price for it and give it a good check over for rust and dodgy noises!

Rides
    Hi, welcome on board

Get yourself down to Reading meet

If its been looked after, mileage means nothing
    Proper care and they just go on. Plenty of people on here running engines on 100k plus. Teggers is near the 200k mark iirc?

Rides
    Hello new guy

Down in the foam, playing with the string...
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    If its been looked after, mileage means nothing
    Proper care and they just go on. Plenty of people on here running engines on 100k plus. Teggers is near the 200k mark iirc?
    Just seen this (am I odd for searching my own username?!)

Yup - 194k on mine. It was used daily for 4 years. Currently off the road now while I do some work on it. Not due to wear/age really - just that I collect bits for a while then fit them all at once. Almost a complete subframe and suspension refresh going on this time (coilovers, diff, subframes, arms and bushes)

No VVT rattle, no running issues (other than those caused by me mucking about with it) and I don't drive it like Miss Daisy. Personally I detest it when people have a "sports" car and only take it out occasionally. Knew a dude with a Ferrari 360 that came out of the garage once or twice a year. Whats the point?!